Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
The manbun and that full beard will look horrible in a few years.
The manbun looks pretty horrible now! lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Not sure what the manbun is lol.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
The manbun and that full beard will look horrible in a few years.
The man bun is probably convient. My hair is finally growing out and most of the time when its hot its wadded up off my neck. But I love guys with beards and long hair. Beards should be a choice during any fashion fad. I wonder if they'll make 'beard grow' a stuff a guy can rub on his face which refuses to grow one which will make it lush and full?

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-01-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
What I'd like to know is what value too many see in 'fashion'. Why not find stuff you like to wear, which is comfortable and works with your life? Why worry what 'style' is in for hair, use the one you like. Be individuals not clones with one set of programming.

I dress about like I did thirty years ago. Same basic stuff, jeans and tank tops and boots. I even wear boots in the summer since I LIKE boots and they don't hurt my feet. When I was working in an office we had to wear business suits. The one thing I didn't miss about that job were the suits.

I think we look best when we dress in what we feel comfortable in and when we follow a 'fashion' we're trying to hide ourselves.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 AM

772 posts, read 914,227 times
I wear jeans and a t shirt with shoes, so I've never thought what your describing .

If you want to jump in the fad of those " zoobas" ( pajama's worn outside ) or a fanny pack, or socks with sandles like in the 90's , that's on you . in the 90's I was wearing , jeans, nice t shirt, and new shoes.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
For one, styles change so that we are forced to continue shopping. I've been around more than a few decades and can see how something as simple as the shape of a pants leg or the length of a sleeve continually changes. I am just now getting used to very thin silhouette pants, ie skinny pants since they always look like PeeWee Herman pants no matter who is wearing them. I just go with what I have learned over the years is most flattering (and comfortable) to me. And it's not skinny pants.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
Hey Polyester shirts were popular once I wonder if they will ever return. Those polo shirts with the zipper that would go halfway down a man's chest

Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I think some of this has to do with age as well. I know that when I was a teenager/young adult, I was more focused on certain styles and being "trendy", and I was still learning what styles work best for my body type.

As I got into my 30's and 40's, I had a better sense of what looks good on me and what doesn't, regardless of how "in style" the particular item is.

So when I look at pictures of my clothing and hair as a teen in the 80's - I don't know how I would have dressed had I been in my 30's during that decade- probably not the same as if I were a teen.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
When something is "in style," people buy it, wear it, love it.....but then when they see pictures of themselves 10 or 20 years later, that think "Ughh! How did I ever think that looked good?"

Why is that?

Was it never flattering in the first place, or has the fashion industry brainwashed us to the point that anything not "current" looks awful to us?

And along the same lines....are there certain things you wear (or that you see others wear) that you believe are truly timeless? (that is, you'd never have that "Ugh" reaction to a photo 10 or 20 years later.) Would you even want fashion, in general, to be timeless? Or do you actually prefer the variety that comes with styles constantly changing?

I know, I've rolled a lot of questions into one post! I'd just like to hear others' thoughts on all of this.
Since I have been in my mid-20s I have been in either work clothes (jeans and tshirts) or office/weekend clothes. Both tend to be more classic silohouettes, i.e. jeans are levis straight leg but with my "nice" clothes I have been buying quality, timeless pieces, i.e. black cigarette pants, khaki trenchcoat, white silk fitted blouse. Since they tend to be classic not trendy I have not had that look back moment.

As for the psychology of "trends" it isn't limited to the fashion industry. The same things happens with home furnishings, architecture, even cars. But I agree, it is an interesting phenomenon.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
When something is "in style," people buy it, wear it, love it.....but then when they see pictures of themselves 10 or 20 years later, that think "Ughh! How did I ever think that looked good?"
Don't know. Never happened to me. Probably because I was never a devoted follower of any new-ew-ew-ewest trend and was rather using some fashion features in my clothing instead of copying looks from the magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty