Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

Not all women will look good in something like this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 PM

232 posts, read 251,138 times
I would absolutely hate to have to wear a dress or skirt. To me personally I feel really uncomfortable and strange. I think it's because I grew up as a tomboy and played all of the sports. However, I also liked to wear stylish jeans and tops and make-up. I still like to look pretty and wear make-up and try to wear nice outfits but they are just not skirts/dresses. I love feeling comfy and cute in my jeans and cute tops. I feel weird as hell in dresses and skirts even though I have the body to pull them off if I choose the right style. Some styles make me look hippy even though I'm pretty small. I just don't like them. Don't like heels either.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I find it ironic that women, who are often (but not always) less physical than men, have been expected to wear clothes that increases their vulnerability. High heels make them less able to run, purses are easy for thieves to grab, skirts make it easier for rapists...By wearing "active" clothes and by not carrying a purse, I feel like I have leveled the playing field a bit!
I do a rather intense cardio workout on my lunch hour. I take a shower afterwards, but its just not enough to cool me off completely as I have only an hour and I am rushed to get back to my office. . I turn on two fans at my desk to cool me back down. So for me, a loose dress or light skirt is absolutely preferable to pants, until cold weather hits. The cooler, the better.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Interesting generalization but sort of misplaced.
Nope. Not at all misplaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Most of the women I know who won't wear skirts still rock shorts. So not likely an exposure issue.
This may be true with the women YOU know, but for all the women I know, and all the women I see daily here in Los Angeles, my comment rings true. It all goes back to what I said about lacking self confidence and/or being secure in your body. Skirs = pretty, while shorts = plain. Many of the women I know who are overweight and/or worried about their bodies shy away from skirts not just because of the exposure, but also because of the "pretty" factor that it takes to wear skirts/dresses. Those who dont feel they have the "pretty" factor would sometimes wear shorts becuase you dont have to feel or be pretty to be in them.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I don't remember the last time I wore a pair of shorts, maybe even 20 years. I think it is way harder to get a flattering and practical pair of shorts. Shorter ones may potentially be more flattering, but you surely don't want to sit out in public in those on transit.

That being said, I wear skirts or dresses around 5 days a week. Many times it is all week. I have been gravitating towards dresses because they are one piece and save me a decision -- nothing else to coordinate other than a jacket or sweater.

I also ride my bike about 6 days a week, and the dresses/skirts are not a deterrent from pedaling (generally up to 4-6 miles on one leg of the trip, about 2 on average).

I do find it quite interesting that there is a perception a dress or skirt is always dressy and always requires a super polished look. There are many ways to wear a dress/skirt. I was sort of tomboy when I was younger and still wore dresses/skirts. But with sneakers and leggings as a preteen. And then just the sneakers in middle school/high school.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Not all women will look good in something like this
On the other hand, most women wold look great in something in a shape like this:

Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't remember the last time I wore a pair of shorts, maybe even 20 years. I think it is way harder to get a flattering and practical pair of shorts. Shorter ones may potentially be more flattering, but you surely don't want to sit out in public in those on transit.

That being said, I wear skirts or dresses around 5 days a week. Many times it is all week. I have been gravitating towards dresses because they are one piece and save me a decision -- nothing else to coordinate other than a jacket or sweater.

I also ride my bike about 6 days a week, and the dresses/skirts are not a deterrent from pedaling (generally up to 4-6 miles on one leg of the trip, about 2 on average).

I do find it quite interesting that there is a perception a dress or skirt is always dressy and always requires a super polished look. There are many ways to wear a dress/skirt. I was sort of tomboy when I was younger and still wore dresses/skirts. But with sneakers and leggings as a preteen. And then just the sneakers in middle school/high school.
I agree with you, Jade. I almost exclusively wear dresses and skirts. My build is tall, large bust, but good weight. Like you, I have to avoid those styles that have that defined area under the bust, those NEVER fit me. I am told I have nice legs (long and toned) and I live in Florida where wearing sundresses and flowy skirts is just more comfortable. I despise jeans, if I do wear pants of any kind it's jeggings (in winter) or yoga pants for working out. I almost never wear shorts. I have never found a pair of shorts to flatter my figure, especially now that I am in my 60s. Even for bike riding exercise I wear a two piece bathing suit with a "skirtini" bottom. Reading responses here just shows how different we all are.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
While they seem to be in the minority I have heard from a number of women they can't stand wearing a skirt or a dress at all. Just curious what some reasons may be? I do remember a friend awhile back tried on a dress after many years of not wearing one and she said she felt weird and uncomfortable.
Even though I am very thin, I have large calves and ankles---they are disproportionate to the rest of my body and I hate it. I don't like seeing the spider veins (and now ever-so-slowly-protruding varicose vein) from where I was hit by a car. I really don't care what other people think but it bothers me so I hate wearing them. I had a friend who had really nice, slender calves and she always wore skirts because she felt they made her look thinner, since her thighs (which were thicker) were kind of hidden in the skirt; I find skirts make me look bigger.

I will wear long dresses when it's like 95 degrees/95% humidity here in the summer once in awhile. Then I don't really have to care about my legs being exposed.

Also, I am a jeans kind of gal. I wear jeans or scrubs most days.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:03 AM

983 posts, read 1,055,071 times
Jade, I dont think that dress would look very good on someone heavier, with less than perfect legs who is wearing flats or athletic shoes. Its a cute dress but I just dont see it working for someone very active.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Jade, I dont think that dress would look very good on someone heavier, with less than perfect legs who is wearing flats or athletic shoes. Its a cute dress but I just dont see it working for someone very active.
That's me! I don't have perfect legs. I have big calves, and big legs in general. Whatever. I wear flats with my dresses all the time. Not really sneakers unless the dress is very casual (t-shirt dress) and the sneakers are sleek.

Sometimes I think society goes a little overboard about thinking you need to look perfect before you wear certain types of things. Everyone can wear a knee-ish length dress!

The dress I posted would work great with a pointy flat. Or if you are really really sensitive about heels grab a kitten heel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty