Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM

13,740 posts, read 12,556,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
One of the reasons I don't like wearing a suit is because when I wear a suit and tie, I don't like the restrictive feeling of the tie and buttoned-up collar around my neck.

When getting fitted for a suit, what if I ask the clerk/tailor to purposefully fit me a shirt that is 2 neck sizes bigger?

Would this look weird when wearing the suit in public, or would it be barely noticeable?
A half inch would be all you really need to get what feels like infinitely more room; so one size up from what you normally get. Ask him to measure you; try what he suggests, and if it doesn't fit right, go up a half inch. If that doesn't feel right, go up another half inch. A half inch would hardly be noticeable as far as looking funny, but much more room. If you have a 15 inch neck and wear a 17 inch shirt that would look funny.

Also, I find that spread collars fit a bit lower and feel less tight in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,425,624 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUKBh-XnRc

Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 PM

169 posts, read 295,567 times
Well the general rule of thumb to having a comfortable fit with your dress shirt and neck tie is well ...your thumb. When the collar of a dress shirt is fully buttoned you should have enough room to fit your thumb (or at least index finger) in the gap between the top button of the dress shirt and your neck. If your thumb doesn't fit in between this space the collar of your dress shirt is too tight and therefore uncomfortable, if you can fit more than one finger in between this space then the collar is too big and it won't look right.

I for instance fit well in an Italian shirt size 40 (which I think is 15 and 3/4) however I get a 41 (size 16) so that the collar will be comfortable when the shirt is fully buttoned. I usually then have the shirt taken in to fit better throughout the torso. If you don't want to spend the 30 bucks (plus sometimes) on alterations then get a shirt with an ample enough collar in "slim fit."

PS. When it comes to lengths and suits you want the suit jacket sleeves to be cut short enough to show 1/2 inch of the dress shirt cuff (when you are standing straight and arms are down). Your dress pants should have a minimal if any break over the front of your shoe while the back of the pants should be able to touch the top of the heal of your shoe (if not a tad shorter). Also, the jacket length should arrive to the bottom of your groin but not much further than that otherwise the jacket needs to be shortened as well. At a near 5'7 height I spend $200-$250 to alter a suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty