Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:37 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,034,471 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people are so overly sensitive about such things. Our society is too politically correct when we have to say that certain basic questions about people are just "rude".

Of course I'm not going to ask a random person their weight, just as I wouldn't ask a random person if their parents were divorced or their number of sexual partners or anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Never. It is rude.

Unless the woman brings it up herself, it should be considered a taboo subject.
Why is a number associated with your mass taboo? Do you consider it taboo because that's the way it's always been? Customs are a funny thing, and sometimes have no basis in the modern world.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
It is unnacceptable. Especially if people come up to you and tell you their unwarranted opinions.
Just the other day I was standing waiting for the bus and this woman comes up to me and asks me how much do I weigh because I'm so "skinny and tall" and told me I should gain 10 pounds. No lie! I told her she needed to mind her own business and get a tan whiles she's at it!
Opinions are meant to be thought not heard unless someone asks you.
You told her to "get a tan"? Is that some sort of comeback for her saying you're too skinny? You really showed her.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,644,739 times
The title and some of the content of this thread suggests that discussing someone's weight is unacceptable rude and tacky only if the person in question is a woman.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:18 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,281,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Of course I'm not going to ask a random person their weight, just as I wouldn't ask a random person if their parents were divorced or their number of sexual partners or anything of the sort.
And why not?

Old 10-24-2015, 02:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,341,532 times
I won't bring it up, but if it was brought up I would tell someone I care about that they need to lose weight. A very good friend of mine is dead because the meds she was on drove her weight up so much she couldn't even walk. She was trying to walk out her door and slipped and died of a heart attack. If she had not weighed so much, from the treatment to the other problem, she could have made it to the hospital. It was the fall that caused her death.

I simply can't imagine how someone who doesn't have the excuse thinks its okay to turn themselves into a beach ball shape and even be 'proud' of it. It's a form of slow execution. If I care about the person, I'd tell them. If they choose to eat themselves to death then they do but I feel its okay to tell the truth.

If they were shooting drugs, would you not try to get them to stop? Morbid weight gain is no better.

Sorry if I'm not pc about this, but if someone you care about is in self descruct mode, even if its with oreo's and icecream, its part of caring to tell them what they're doing to themself. Beyond that its their choice. But when people talk about the 'tragic' death of someone who's busy abusing their body, then its got to be noted that it was a choice they made somewhere along the way too.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,717,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You told her to "get a tan"? Is that some sort of comeback for her saying you're too skinny? You really showed her.
sometimes you have to give people a taste of their own medicine.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,211,007 times
Asking about age depends on the circumstance, though I have to admit I don't get bent out of shape about that. It doesn't bother me at all.

What does bother me are some of these YOUTUBE people (for example) who have a youtube page and talk about everything under the sun. They discuss their life, work, relationships, sex, everything. They answer questions from their youtube fans (followers) etc. Hell, even people on here. You discuss the most intimate things on forums like this sometimes.

But, as soon as someone asks the age question, they declare that its rude. GTFO! If you are in the business of *putting* your business out there, how do you get pissed when someone asks your age?? Yet you just talked about your sex life or some reproductive issue you have. But....asking your AGE is rude???

I swear that is complete bull. And this usually happens with women. Society has made women (cause its mostly women who freak about it) feel ashamed to discuss their age. They would rather talk about death, divorce, a child dying, whether or not they like it doggie style..anything..but age. How can you freely talk about personal subjects about yourself but get hinky about telling your age?? Seriously??

That is nothing but people buying into feeling ashamed of their age because they are not 20 years old or something.

Total BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty