Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

I use a silver polishing cloth. If the tarnish is really built up, I use Crest toothpaste (white from a tube), applied with a soft cloth, and rinsed off in warm water. A Navajo woman I bought jewelry from in Flagstaff, Arizona, told me that's what she does and I've been following her lead ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 05:25 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I did it. I went to Walmart and bought Connoisseurs Jewelry Wipes Compact.
WOW! My SS ring shines like gold and my necklace shines great!
I don't know how it's done but it definitely works.
I can't believe it.
Glad they worked well for you! I swear by them. It's what I recommend to all my customers, especially those with sterling jewelry.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
what happens when those jewelry wipes get black with tarnish? can they be washed?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I did it. I went to Walmart and bought Connoisseurs Jewelry Wipes Compact.
WOW! My SS ring shines like gold and my necklace shines great!
I don't know how it's done but it definitely works.
I can't believe it.
Great!

Now that you've got them clean, you can keep them clean by putting them in an airtight bag when you're not wearing them. Wrap the pieces in some tissue or a soft cloth, then seal them in a ziploc bag.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A question---this is somewhat OT but perhaps some silver owners/experts here can answer---

Years ago I bought a silver ring in Mexico. It was just an open design, not very expensive. If I wore it when sleeping, it would tarnish terribly when I woke up. If I didn't wear it, it didn't tarnish, even if I just left it sitting out on the dresser. If I wore it 24 hours+, but didn't sleep (hey, you could do that when you were young!), it didn't tarnish. If I slept only a few hours while wearing it, it would tarnish.

Seems it would tarnish only when I was actually asleep, time itself didn't seem to affect it. What could possibly cause that? I've lost the ring years ago, so I can't test it now, but still, that has always puzzled me.
That was likely not sterling/925, but a nonprecious metal called "alpaca".

Although there are strong laws in Mexico against selling nonprecious alpaca "as" sterling/925, the practice thrives.

I don't know 'what' alpaca is exactly, but it looks virtually like sterling/925 when new. It is harder, stays shinier, but does not 'act like' (bend, polish, patinate) sterling.

A lot of tourist jewelry from Mexico is actually alpaca. I have even heard flea marketeers try to claim that the artist or atelier was named name 'Alpaca' and sell the stuff as sterling/925.

Over the years, I have learned to tell it at a glance. But many are deceived by it, especially tourists.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
specifically Indian jewelry with turquoise/coral stones or beads.

I know all about aluminum foil and boiling water and baking soda and salt but I'm afraid the boiling water might damage the string holding together "liquid" necklaces which alternate silver tubing and turquoise. I also have a few watches with silver, turquoise and the time piece securely attached.

I have some tarnish proof cloth to store them in after I get them clean but right now I have a bunch of lovely necklaces,watches, rings, earrings from my years in Oklahoma and I'm not wearing them because they are so tarnished.

Suggestions?
Be VERY careful about soaking ANYTHING. The only things I soak are things like sand cast rings with no stones and I soak those for less than 30 seconds.

For rings and bracelets use the Connoisseur disposable silver wipes. Use until dirty then toss. Polish with a clean, dry microfiber or soft cotton cloth. For liquid silver use the Connoisseur silver cleaner that comes in the red container. Dab a Q-tip into the liquid then apply it to the silver to remove tarnish. Then run cold water over the necklace/bracelet and let dry on a clean, dry cloth. Polish lightly with a clean, dry cloth when dry.

Do not try to clean the stones or the settings. Polish lightly with a microfiber cloth. Soaking the stones in ANY cleaner can ruin the stone.

If you need to remove the time piece from the Indian-made bracelet.... take it to a reputable jewelry store.

If you have old Indian pawn..... don't clean it at all. Leave the patina on. Old pawn loses value if cleaned. Also... do NOT try and size any Indian jewelry (sand-cast or cuff styles) with a set stone by bending it.. The stone can pop out. Or come loose and pop out later. Don't try and have them sized. If you have rings that are too large (or want to pass down for your daughters) use a plain, silver band as a ring guard.

Enjoy your pieces, no kudzu. They are back in style!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-16-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Thanks Dew. I have a nice collection but I swear it has been 15-20 years since I've worn any of it. I haven't worn my wedding ring in that time either. I'm a gardener and was always taking jewelry off and misplacing it until I finally decided to just put it away till I forgot about it.

Was all ready to give my son a beautiful and expensive diamond ring to give to his long time (8 year) girlfriend when they suddenly broke up. So glad I didn't cause I would never have gotten it back. Maybe one of the now 13 year old girls will want some jewelry down the line.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks Dew. I have a nice collection but I swear it has been 15-20 years since I've worn any of it.
You're welcome. Time to enjoy it again!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

53 posts, read 66,159 times
The aluminum foil has worked well for us.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:05 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
I've used these gloves for years. In my opinion they are the very best for cleaning silver jewelry. You can give them a quick rub in a matter of moments with no worry about scratching finishes or loosening stones, and without using a liquid or polish. The wipes that several people posted look interesting but I've never tried them.

Amazon.com - Hagerty 15010 Silversmiths' Gloves 1 Pair, Medium - Silver Polish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty