Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times

Advertisements

Not so much my clothes in particular as I'm pretty much in jeans most of the time. But if I wear a green top or scarf, people will remark on how green my eyes are. Not so noticeable the rest of the time!

Cashiers comment on my rings a lot. Not that they're big (they aren't) but it's the combination of three rings I wear together - a circle of small diamonds, an emerald solitaire, and a band of turquoise. I guess that's not something they see everyday when customers are handing over their cash or credit cards! I used to be surprised by the comments but not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:04 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I have a vintage DVF wrap dress that gets a lot of compliments; dark brown silk/cashmere, very flattering, makes me look all curvy (which is no easy task).
I still need to get myself one. I tried on one of her dresses and it was very flattering. Not sure I want to spend over $400 on a day dress yet though.

I guess I get complimented the most on my bag and shoes because I usually carry the same bag and wear the same pair of shoes (for that season), so more people are able to see it to compliment it. Whereas I only wear the same outfit piece every couple of weeks, so I don't get as many compliments.

I just bought a cheap pair of leggings from Macy's for $40 and have been wearing them every week. Every time I wear these, I just feel gorgeous/hot/damn! Because whenever I wear them, I get a lot of looks and head turns. It's not second skin yoga leggings either, but thick fabric that's suitable for work. They just make my body look awesome.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
I still need to get myself one. I tried on one of her dresses and it was very flattering. Not sure I want to spend over $400 on a day dress yet though.

I guess I get complimented the most on my bag and shoes because I usually carry the same bag and wear the same pair of shoes (for that season), so more people are able to see it to compliment it. Whereas I only wear the same outfit piece every couple of weeks, so I don't get as many compliments.

I just bought a cheap pair of leggings from Macy's for $40 and have been wearing them every week. Every time I wear these, I just feel gorgeous/hot/damn! Because whenever I wear them, I get a lot of looks and head turns. It's not second skin yoga leggings either, but thick fabric that's suitable for work. They just make my body look awesome.
Check eBay! You can find a lot of secondhand DVF for under $100. I think I payed $65 for the brown, and $85 for a black and white print.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:22 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I have a few classic "shift" style sleeveless dresses - each about two inches above the knee. In winter, I wear them with black tights and matching shoes. They are form fitting but not overly so. I work on my arms a lot, so the simple sleeveless dresses are flattering.

I get a lot of compliments on them. In summer and spring, I dispense with the tights.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love scarves, as well as vintage jewelry and those are the items I get the most compliments on.

I also have a lot of items that are cobalt blue or have a lot of cobalt blue in them. Apparently that's a good color for me because whenever I wear that color, people compliment the outfit or say, "Wow, I love that color!" I have a cobalt blue Michael Kors purse as well. Now, I have several Michael Kors purses because I love their shapes, but people will literally stop in their tracks out in public and say, "I LOVE that purse." I honestly think it's the color, not the brand, that catches their eye.
Definitely my vintage items for me as well. I collect vintage powder compacts and mother of pearl fans - they seem to be envied whenever I pull them out...

Old 12-09-2015, 08:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Whenever I wear teal or turquoise colored items. Everybody comments about how those colors highlight my eyes.
Similar.. there are a few dresses that are always complimented but its more colours.. blues/greens & reds..
other than that, my 70's leather tooled bag.... cheapest bag I ever bought too.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I have this bold, yet simple chevron necklace and it is very popular with 20-somethings when I wear it. It is a edgy basic and helps harden a preppy outfit. Also one of my faves!

Old 12-09-2015, 09:50 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Typically, anything paired with knee-high boots, like a form-fitting skirt of even jeans. I think it depends. I get a lot of comments, nods and smiles when I wear my WoW shirt or some other nerd/geek clothing item. I wore my ugly Christmas SW/stormstrooper sweater the other day, which seemed to garner attention.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
The one item in my wardrobe that garners the most compliments would be my police uniform. Well, to be honest, they are not always compliments...

Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
It's two items, and oddly enough neither one are considered clothing: my black hole tattoo on my upper arm and my hairstyle, in which the bottom half is shaved to the skin but the top half is kept very long. I get a lot of compliments on both. As for my clothes, it's a lot of meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty