Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM

17 posts, read 15,803 times

Advertisements

For all the professionals out there, I need some directions, and maybe a few pointers. What I really would like to know, is where I should shop, and how much I should spend. I'm just starting out, and I have 0 dress shirts, 0 ties, no shoes...you catch my drift. I know what professional, and business attired looks like: Button down shirt, pants, tie...bleh. Anyways, working on a limited budget here, where should I shop, and what can I buy at the MINIMUM to start me off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
There are tons of shops out there who have suits on sale. Like 3 suits for $299 with ties, etc. Go to an outlet mall into a suit store.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
You need at least one suit for interviews. If you don't have to wear suits to work, then you need at a minimum several pairs of slacks, six shirts, and several solid-colored ties. Ideally, you'd have at least 11 shirts (one spare, 5 for the current week, 5 to send to the cleaners) and an assortment of ties. If you're going to launder and iron your own shirts, you can get by with 5 or 6 to start with. My husband had to wear slacks and ties to work for a few months while his uniforms were being made, and he had 15 shirts, a gray tie, black tie, and 8 or 9 patterned ties, and 4 pairs of black slacks.

Neutral, solid-colored shirts will give you the most mileage. Tan, shades of blue, gray, maybe yellow and light green. Some people don't like to wear a white shirt because they're afraid they'll look like a waiter. Stick to solid colors or maybe some low-key stripes, but you'll only be able to wear a patterned shirt once every two weeks or people will notice you're wearing it often. The same goes for dark or bold colors of shirts, they're more memorable so you can't wear them as often.

Check thrift stores if you're on a really tight budget. Try for thrift stores near the more affluent areas of town because they are more likely to have gotten donations of business clothes. Always look at the collar and cuffs of dress shirts carefully before you buy them used. Unfold the collar, look for signs of wear at the edges and also along the fold...frayed fabric or fabric that is a little lighter in color than the rest of the shirt means don't buy it. If the collar is a little darker than the rest of the shirt, don't buy it. That doesn't usually come out. Broken buttons are common on shirts and don't have to be a dealbreaker...if you take the shirt to the cleaners, they all replace buttons if you ask them to (because all cleaners break buttons) If you're an average size you should be able to find many shirts at the thrift store.

You should be able to find patterned ties at the thrift store. Steer clear of floral patterns. Stripes are good as long as you're not in England (where the stripes imply membership in different clubs, from what I've read). Geometric patterns are fine too. Look at some ties at the department store first to see what colors, fabric and width are in. Generally, nothing really wide and nothing with an outrageous pattern or really shiny. Buy a few solid colored ties at the department store...those go with everything so they're more useful and harder to find secondhand. If you're very tall or have a very thick neck, you'll eventually want to order some longer ties so you can use different knots without it being too short. If you're looking at the thrift store, check for grease spots on the wider part of the tie, the part that people might spill food on. It doesn't generally work to wash ties, so don't count on being able to remove any spots that you see.

Slacks...if you only have black shoes, stick to black or gray slacks. Black slacks are easier to find used (if you're going that route) and it's harder to tell how often you wear the same pair. If you're young, look for pants without pleats in the front. If you've got a little bit of a belly, look for pants with hidden elastic in front of the pockets...will say comfort waist or something like that. Those stretch when you sit down so they can be more comfortable. If you're an average height, you can find the right length of slacks at the thrift store. Otherwise, you can have them hemmed.

Shoes...you need at least one pair of decent dress shoes in black. Shine them up a bit every weekend so they look good during the week.

Your shirts need to be ironed to look good. Even if they come out of the dryer with a minimum of wrinkles, they need to be ironed so the sleeves have a crease and the collar fold looks right. So buy an iron if you don't have one. You can also have the shirts laundered at the dry cleaner, which is usually pretty cheap...if you've got oily skin, always ask them to treat the collars or you'll end up with the collar looking bad over time. Also, buttons do break so that's something to watch out for...that's why you need a spare shirt, in case you're down to your last shirt and you realize a button is broken somewhere obvious. It's easy to sew on a button but sometimes if you're in a rush there isn't time.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 AM

17 posts, read 15,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You need at least one suit for interviews. If you don't have to wear suits to work, then you need at a minimum several pairs of slacks, six shirts, and several solid-colored ties. Ideally, you'd have at least 11 shirts (one spare, 5 for the current week, 5 to send to the cleaners) and an assortment of ties. If you're going to launder and iron your own shirts, you can get by with 5 or 6 to start with. My husband had to wear slacks and ties to work for a few months while his uniforms were being made, and he had 15 shirts, a gray tie, black tie, and 8 or 9 patterned ties, and 4 pairs of black slacks.

Neutral, solid-colored shirts will give you the most mileage. Tan, shades of blue, gray, maybe yellow and light green. Some people don't like to wear a white shirt because they're afraid they'll look like a waiter. Stick to solid colors or maybe some low-key stripes, but you'll only be able to wear a patterned shirt once every two weeks or people will notice you're wearing it often. The same goes for dark or bold colors of shirts, they're more memorable so you can't wear them as often.

Check thrift stores if you're on a really tight budget. Try for thrift stores near the more affluent areas of town because they are more likely to have gotten donations of business clothes. Always look at the collar and cuffs of dress shirts carefully before you buy them used. Unfold the collar, look for signs of wear at the edges and also along the fold...frayed fabric or fabric that is a little lighter in color than the rest of the shirt means don't buy it. If the collar is a little darker than the rest of the shirt, don't buy it. That doesn't usually come out. Broken buttons are common on shirts and don't have to be a dealbreaker...if you take the shirt to the cleaners, they all replace buttons if you ask them to (because all cleaners break buttons) If you're an average size you should be able to find many shirts at the thrift store.

You should be able to find patterned ties at the thrift store. Steer clear of floral patterns. Stripes are good as long as you're not in England (where the stripes imply membership in different clubs, from what I've read). Geometric patterns are fine too. Look at some ties at the department store first to see what colors, fabric and width are in. Generally, nothing really wide and nothing with an outrageous pattern or really shiny. Buy a few solid colored ties at the department store...those go with everything so they're more useful and harder to find secondhand. If you're very tall or have a very thick neck, you'll eventually want to order some longer ties so you can use different knots without it being too short. If you're looking at the thrift store, check for grease spots on the wider part of the tie, the part that people might spill food on. It doesn't generally work to wash ties, so don't count on being able to remove any spots that you see.

Slacks...if you only have black shoes, stick to black or gray slacks. Black slacks are easier to find used (if you're going that route) and it's harder to tell how often you wear the same pair. If you're young, look for pants without pleats in the front. If you've got a little bit of a belly, look for pants with hidden elastic in front of the pockets...will say comfort waist or something like that. Those stretch when you sit down so they can be more comfortable. If you're an average height, you can find the right length of slacks at the thrift store. Otherwise, you can have them hemmed.

Shoes...you need at least one pair of decent dress shoes in black. Shine them up a bit every weekend so they look good during the week.

Your shirts need to be ironed to look good. Even if they come out of the dryer with a minimum of wrinkles, they need to be ironed so the sleeves have a crease and the collar fold looks right. So buy an iron if you don't have one. You can also have the shirts laundered at the dry cleaner, which is usually pretty cheap...if you've got oily skin, always ask them to treat the collars or you'll end up with the collar looking bad over time. Also, buttons do break so that's something to watch out for...that's why you need a spare shirt, in case you're down to your last shirt and you realize a button is broken somewhere obvious. It's easy to sew on a button but sometimes if you're in a rush there isn't time.
Omg, thank you so much for the information! I'm 22 years old so I'm starting out in the professional area early. They told me a suit was optional, but I must wear a shirt, and tie daily! Omg.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
Honestly, I go to Goodwill and Gabes and so does my boss who make A LOT more than me lol I have stuff I have bought just on sale, but I have found some really nice quality dress pants and jackets at Goodwill (with the tags still on them even!) And of course Gabes will carry the nicer quality pants I like for a quarter of the cost. Check the goodwills (and other thrift stores) in nicer areas/towns. I find so much stuff there it's insane. My boss gets all his ties and jackets there.

For guys, it's pretty simple. Get a couple different colored dress shirts (some neutral colors, some not). Get some ties that you can mix and match with those shirts. A couple pairs of slacks and jackets. If your job will involve being on your feet a lot, I do suggest nicer quality and comfortable dress shoes. I suggest just starting with black as your base (black pants/black jacket/black shoes). I would get at least 3 pairs, but 5 would be the ideal. This depends how often you want to be doing laundry, lol But starting out that will work and you can slowly build your wardrobe as time goes on.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Guy

Look for a men's 2nd hand clothing shop. Usually some good bargains and an owner that can help you with selections.

Also get a good tailor. Remember things a bit bigger can easily be taken in and tailored to better fit you.

Nothing looks worse than tight fitting clothes.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:36 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
One thing to remember is that a good pair of comfortable, nice-looking dress shoes is worth it, but be sure that you take care of them. They'll last longer, and you will look a lot sharper, if you remember to dust them off and polish them every so often (at least once a month, takes 5 minutes).

Another detail to keep in mind: keep your hair trimmed regularly. Worth every cent to do it. Details count.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:49 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
The field you are in and part of country will dictate what is considered appropriate professional wear. Some place khaki pants and navy blazer is professional dress. Some places only a pinstripe suit , 3 piece, will do.

Have a base color. Get quality fabric & good fit. Think conservative wardrobe builders. Pants should be long enough to just break at shoe. So fabric crease does not fall straight to shoe it bends. Too short pants or too long look bad.

To start-
At least one wool suit to start (navy or dark charcoal) conservative (not a memorable plaid) with 2 extra pair suit pants. You need one suit even if they say you wont. (These will need be regularly dry cleaned)

5 shirts. If you are not wearing suits, 4 French blue shirts will be formal as you need otherwise 4 white shirts-1blue....if more casual assorted blue striped shirts and 1 French blue. **Get no iron shirts AND iron them. If you wish spray starch while ironing...avoid starching dark colors) I would avoid white collared striped shirts.
6 White v necked cotton tshirts minimum
12 Boxers minimum
12 pairs socks dress type (same as suit color, & some argyle, go crazy)

3 silk ties to start (don't buy matching pocket square--it usually looks dumb)will need dry cleaned regularly.
1 leather belt (black, brown, or cordovan) an ideal find belt that is cordovan with black edge trim
1 pair leather shoes (same color more or less as belt)(get 2nd pair soon to switch off daily) buy shoe polish & polish one week.
1 briefcase (if appropriate ) same color family as shoes
1 winter overcoat
Gloves, scarf
1 umbrella if applicable

Avoid brown suits.

If your job appropriate daily look is button down shirt, tie, & pants. Look at the "washable wool" pants at Lands End.

Good luck. I think dress for position you want, you do not wish look like you aren't together enough to handle promotion.

Last edited by historyfan; 03-27-2016 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Let me correct some things:
Black pants are no good for men.
Light blue and white are the two shirt colors that usually are safe. Narrow-striped blue-white versions are almost as safe, but not for interviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty