Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:39 PM

444 posts, read 820,454 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm interviewing for an engineering/developer position. I STRONGLY believe the interview attire is professional. I do not own a blazer. I'm wondering about getting a dress vs a pant suit. (Mainly because I think I look weird). I want to know if a dress can qualify as professional? Also, does a little bit of cleavage hurt or look bad? I'm rather top heavy so again I think not showing any looks weird.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:54 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
A dress might be ok as long as it's a solid color, no prints, and reduced cleavage. Instead of a pant suit, you might want to look into
a skirt and blazer combo instead.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Hi All,

I'm interviewing for an engineering/developer position. I STRONGLY believe the interview attire is professional. I do not own a blazer. I'm wondering about getting a dress vs a pant suit. (Mainly because I think I look weird). I want to know if a dress can qualify as professional? Also, does a little bit of cleavage hurt or look bad? I'm rather top heavy so again I think not showing any looks weird.

Thanks
No cleavage, ever, ever, EVER on an interview unless it's a strip joint. ESPECIALLY if you are top heavy. I'm in the same boat, and believe me you will probably be judged for a slob, even if you aren't. I'm not a prude whatsoever, but you could either be loved or absolutely hated for your cleavage. Better safe than sorry. Tastefully covered and conservative says "I'm here to work, look the part, and not let my chest/body/anything distract you from this interview."

If this is your first suit, I would go with a pant suit. A dress COULD qualify as "professional" depending on where you are interviewing, however, for an interview I'd stick with the pantsuit (or dress suit if you find one that fits you great) and a simple blouse, minimal jewelry, muted nail polish if any.

I did a quick google search and this is a cute list:

Dress Coding: Business Professional | LaurenConrad.com

I recommend investing in a nice neutral colored suit. I am a huge fan of Banana Republic and Ann Taylor for women's suiting.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:53 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
A black suit is also fine. I think the jacket is the most important, as I have seen suits done with skirts (appropriate length of course) and with pants...but the jacket is key. A nice blazer with a white or other solid color shirt and black slacks (even if a different fabric than the jacket (just make sure your blacks match) will work. Also, if you are top heavy, invest in a minimizer bra. If you are not familiar, they help to redistribute breast tissue so it reduces the look of being really busty...these can give any outfit a much more professional look and help with the bunching buttons can do over the chest when you are "top heavy"

Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
I highly recommend a pant suit. Always for your type of profession.
I am also top heavy in the breasts and you should never ever show cleavage during a professional interview.

On the blazer - stay with a 1-2 button only. This will help accentuate your top heaviness without making you look stuffed. By pants that fit and a jacket that fits. If a pant suit doesn't fit both areas, buy them as separates.

I'm in the computer field and have always worn a pant suit, black, with a nice cami underneath the jacket. I've also worn dress shirts, but they tend to make me feel and look stuffed. The dress shirts tend to be open collar, v-neck, with no cleavage showing. Accentuate with a nice scarf.

What most people don't take into consideration is the colors. This can do a lot for you. Wear colors that accentuate your skin and hair coloring. There is a lot of psychology behind what colors you wear and the affect they have on others. May sound weird, but I firmly believe in it.
Psychological Properties Of Colours - Colour Affects
As a general rule of thumb:
If interviewing with males, you can get by with dark power colors - reds, blacks, dark greens,etc..
If interviewing with females it is best to stay in the pastel range.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
I always wore a simple pant suit or a modest dress with opaque stockings and heels. No cleavage and nothing above the knee. I went easy on the jewelry and kept it to one necklace. I have an earring at the top of one ear that's a hassle to take out, so I just did my hair in such a way as to hide it.

I'm in the arts. A few years ago, I wore the suit to an interview for an internship at a techy type of place. My potential coworkers were dressed very casually and looked like they'd just gotten off the couch from an afternoon of video games. A couple months after I was hired, we were laughing about the fact that I'd worn the suit—but they also said that it's one of the things that impressed them.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I wouldn't wear a dress unless it was a business long skirt.

NO CLEAVAGE EVER.

Some advice for jackets is when you sit, un-button it. Shouldn't be more than 1-2 buttons anyways. That way you don't look like a stuffed sausage when you sit down and the jacket puffs up. I am a size D so I feel ya!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM

208 posts, read 819,765 times
From a male perspective, I would advise you to wear a pant suit, or a dress that goes past your knees, and wear stockings, I would also advise against showing any type of cleavage. I will say this, and this is my opinion of course; guys look at women (I know duh), but the more provocative you dress, the less intelligent you will appear to be, so if you want to generate less intelligence, show cleavage, if you want to look like someone who can do the job, cover it up.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,192 times
NEVER accentuate large boobs on a job interview, like another poster commented, unless it's at a strip joint!! Your professionalism will exit the room as soon as you enter it.

As for attire, you can never go wrong with a navy suit. Fortunately for me, I learned from years of interviewing with airlines that navy is the basic go-to color that works best in all interview situations. As for dress/skirt vs. slacks, I always opt for slacks. I did wear a matching skirt a few times, but feel more comfortable in slacks.

Interviewing at companies, I chose a ivory or white shell top with a strand of pearls, no hoop earrings, studs preferably, not over-blingy, either. Minimal jewelry all the way around, from ring to watch to necklace to earrings.

No stiletto heels. Two to three inch pumps, I always go for closed toe as I feel open toe just doesn't project professional.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Neutrals are fine, but I would make sure you have some color: a blouse, a scarf, a pin, something. A job interview is NOT a place where you want to be forgettable.

I wore a very classic cut skirted suit with simple pearls to an IT interview. The suit was a very flattering solid color on me and far from neutral. I got the job. Later on, my colorful suit came up in conversation. The person who interviewed me stated the my suit indicated that I was professional, but certainly not a wall flower. I was viewed as a leader and not a drone.

So it all depends on the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search