Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people with a baby face and I am petite. I have no wrinkles yet except a tiny one on my forehead and the smile lines. When I'm out with my granddaughter and she calls me Nonna (Italian for grandmother) people are always surprised that I am not her mother. But this has happened all my life. At my 22nd birthday party where I walked one of our customers thought I was having my "sweet sixteenth". Hated it then, not so much now.

I joined a gym yesterday and the trainer seemed shocked that I was 61. But my family ages well and we keep our faces protected from the sun. Living here in Florida I see women out there who look 90 because of all the sun damage they have done to their skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:18 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
The problem with looking old is that that tends to make you feel old

I'm a 52 year old white man, and I know I look younger.

How you ask? Because people tell me that. All the time. And because I know how to groom myself to look younger.

Men, if you want to look younger, here are some tips:
1) First and foremost, lose weight. Period.
2) Shave. Go clean shaven. No mustaches. No beards. If you grow a big grey beard, that's guaranteed add 20 years to how you look. I don't know what it is about men and their bushy grey beards. It doesn't make you look stately. It makes you look old.
3) If you have grey/greying hair, keep it cut short. Long grey hair makes you look older. Mullets make you look like a douche. Ponytails make you look you're trying to regain lost youth.
4) Trim your eyebrows, nose hair and ear hair. Especially your eyebrows. I can't believe some of the huge hair thatches I see older guys walking around with. Your wives let you walk around like that? Nothing like a big wad of grey hair growing out of your nose to ID you as on old guy. Trim that s*** every week.
5) If you wear polo type shirts, button all but the top buttons and trim your chest hair so people aren't look at a big grey thatch of grey chest hair bursting out above the button. Take it from me....it isn't a good look.

It's not rocket science, really. Any questions?

_
I agree, lots of people seem to let themselves go around that age and have the typical middle aged older man look, over weight, they kind of have a "sloppy" dont care anymore look, long grey beards, etc.

Last edited by mr bolo; 05-07-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 08:33 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
another thing I noticed is when people get older and they have a bunch of old tattoos showing, the tats dont look fresh and sharp anymore and that contributes to aging or making a person appear older or rough in appearance.

Last edited by mr bolo; 05-07-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 11:02 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
Most middle age or older people I know are always telling me that they look 10 years younger than they are. They are quite proud that they look young. In reality most look their age or older.

Will you admit you actually look your age or maybe even older?
I think I look my age (mid fifties and rising). I do color my hair, but I've got the normal lines and whatnot that everyone gets post-menopause. I couldn't lie and say I was ten years younger. That would be foolish.

One thing that helps me NOT look too old is that I'm very tall and strongly built, as are most women in my family. My mom is 87 and 5'9" with a straight back.

I started my job at 20 and retired two months ago. When people say, "How can you be retired? Did you start working there as a child?" I know they are just being flattering.

I don't mind looking my age. I just want to look and be a HEALTHY "my age".

Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I agree, lots of people seem to let themselves go around that age and have the typical middle aged older man look, over weight, they kind of have a "sloppy" dont care anymore look, long grey beards, etc.

I have to chuckle at the guy who has like 10 hairs but he pulls them into a ponytail. My late husband had an abundance of hair in his nostrils, ears & the eyebrows were crazy. Even though he hated it I was not letting him walk around like that.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I look my age. I don't think I look older though. I definitely look older than I did nine years ago when I retired.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am one of those people with a baby face and I am petite. I have no wrinkles yet except a tiny one on my forehead and the smile lines. When I'm out with my granddaughter and she calls me Nonna (Italian for grandmother) people are always surprised that I am not her mother. But this has happened all my life. At my 22nd birthday party where I walked one of our customers thought I was having my "sweet sixteenth". Hated it then, not so much now.

I joined a gym yesterday and the trainer seemed shocked that I was 61. But my family ages well and we keep our faces protected from the sun. Living here in Florida I see women out there who look 90 because of all the sun damage they have done to their skin.
This has happened to me all my life too. When I was in my 20's, people assumed I was still in my teens. And when I was in my 30's, people assumed I was in my 20's, etc. When people find out or ask my age, I'm always getting "You don't look it!". People keep telling me that my mother "doesn't look it" too. Also, my Nan always looked good for her age.

So, I think a lot of it is down to genetics. Also, I've never had a sun tan - in my entire life! I've always used sun lotion. I've never smoked either. And I've also used various face creams throughout the years. Even when I was a child, my Nan used to stick some 'Oil Of Ulay' (as it was called then), on me! Thanks Nan!

Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I think I look older than my age, but I was startled recently when a new doctor looked at my chart, which listed my age, and said surprisedly that I looked markedly younger.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
After a certain point almost EVERYONE looks their age. The question is how GOOD do they look for their age - do they look healthy, vibrant, move well, have good posture, etc. Those are the things that matter. It also helps to maintain a good weight, keep good muscle tone and dress well in flattering clothes that fit.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:52 PM

22,855 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
After a certain point almost EVERYONE looks their age. The question is how GOOD do they look for their age - do they look healthy, vibrant, move well, have good posture, etc. Those are the things that matter. It also helps to maintain a good weight, keep good muscle tone and dress well in flattering clothes that fit.
Exactly...looking good for your age is more realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty