Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:20 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,327,090 times

Advertisements

I think I would admit to it if true but I look younger than I am. Several years ago a fellow my age guessed my age to be 10 years younger than I am. When I was 32 a woman was shocked and said she thought I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,972,510 times
I'm 24 and people say I look younger. I've been told that I look at least like 18 or 17.

I do not take it as a compliment. A young man is supposed to look like a young man, not a teenager.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,065,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I'm 24 and people say I look younger. I've been told that I look at least like 18 or 17.

I do not take it as a compliment. A young man is supposed to look like a young man, not a teenager.
You might not take it as a compliment at the moment, but wait until you get to your 30's and 40's, and people are telling you that you look younger!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,434,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
The problem with looking old is that that tends to make you feel old

I'm a 52 year old white man, and I know I look younger.

How you ask? Because people tell me that. All the time. And because I know how to groom myself to look younger.

Men, if you want to look younger, here are some tips:
1) First and foremost, lose weight. Period.
2) Shave. Go clean shaven. No mustaches. No beards. If you grow a big grey beard, that's guaranteed add 20 years to how you look. I don't know what it is about men and their bushy grey beards. It doesn't make you look stately. It makes you look old.
3) If you have grey/greying hair, keep it cut short. Long grey hair makes you look older. Mullets make you look like a douche. Ponytails make you look you're trying to regain lost youth.
4) Trim your eyebrows, nose hair and ear hair. Especially your eyebrows. I can't believe some of the huge hair thatches I see older guys walking around with. Your wives let you walk around like that? Nothing like a big wad of grey hair growing out of your nose to ID you as on old guy. Trim that s*** every week.
5) If you wear polo type shirts, button all but the top buttons and trim your chest hair so people aren't look at a big grey thatch of grey chest hair bursting out above the button. Take it from me....it isn't a good look.

It's not rocket science, really. Any questions?

_

I feel bad for guys who lose their hair. Imagine having a great head of hair all your life and then suddenly, strand by strand you're being robbed of it while you sit back helpless.

A full head of hair can make so much difference. Look at Prince William now. I'm not making a joke of it, I genuinely feel bad for guys.

You should add a hair dying rule to your list. I saw an older man the other day - he was wearing a cap, but he had a jet black dyed mustache and it looked ridiculous because it looked so unnatural. Hair dye is great, but go for a more lighter and natural shade.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,212,088 times
Some points regarding looking young for your age:

People conflate youth with good looks, and hence people that were very attractive when young will seem to age very well.

Some people (eg my late father) tell almost everyone, particularly women, that they look young for their age. I do not think women should believe comments that they look young for their age.

Looking young for your age before the age of 40 is not particularly impressive to anyone over the age of 40.

Being a mid 20s male and looking young for your age is mostly due to sub optimal bone development and not a good thing.

Hair can make a huge difference in perceived age. Wearing a wig makes most 50+ year olds look 5-10 years younger.

Everyone's kids are above average, and everyone thinks they look good for their age.

Some people really do look good for their age. These people know it by the way people treat them, and the attention they get, not by what people say to them, and they do not need to seek validation from others by fishing for compliments.

Last edited by Robert5; 05-16-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,988,300 times
A few months ago I lost 11 lbs.
I noticed I looked a bit more haggard and seasoned. .
Put back the 11 lbs..now I'm round but younger looking!!

Old 05-16-2016, 12:42 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
A few months ago I lost 11 lbs.
I noticed I looked a bit more haggard and seasoned. .
Put back the 11 lbs..now I'm round but younger looking!!
Yes, as we ladies get older, we look better with a "few extra" (emphasis on FEW lol). Even my doc agrees it is healthier to weigh maybe 10 lbs more than we did when younger for health reasons. I weigh about 15 lbs more than I did in my 30s (now in 60s) but also have more muscle tone than I did then. I see some older women who get too thin and frankly, it is a terrible look, and they tend to look older than their years.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,331,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
Most middle age or older people I know are always telling me that they look 10 years younger than they are. They are quite proud that they look young. In reality most look their age or older.

Will you admit you actually look your age or maybe even older?
I look my age now but that didn't start happening until I was around 40. I was 36 the last time I was proofed for being at least 18.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,327,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Being a mid 20s male and looking young for your age is mostly due to sub optimal bone development and not a good thing.
Slender, in other words?

Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I feel bad for guys who lose their hair. Imagine having a great head of hair all your life and then suddenly, strand by strand you're being robbed of it while you sit back helpless.

A full head of hair can make so much difference. Look at Prince William now. I'm not making a joke of it, I genuinely feel bad for guys.

You should add a hair dying rule to your list. I saw an older man the other day - he was wearing a cap, but he had a jet black dyed mustache and it looked ridiculous because it looked so unnatural. Hair dye is great, but go for a more lighter and natural shade.
I am losing my hair, slowly but surely. But I've learned, for the most part, to live with it. When I get my hair cut, I tell the barber he doesn't have to show me the back, because it's always disheartening to see how much it's thinned back there.

I think I'm just going to let it go. I'll keep it short (which isn't a stretch, because I've been in the military for 27 years, and it's been very short (obviously) for that time.

I agree about the bad hair-dye jobs. Men, don't bother. Unless you have it professionally done, and continually maintained (an expensive proposition) it just looks BAD. I saw this older guy at the gym on Saturday (there not to work out, but to drop off and pick up his wife). The top and the sides were dyed this weird dark brown, and the lower fringes were white. He looked ridiculous. As he was driving off, I could see he was smoking a cigarette. Something else that will age you.

Ditto for dying your facial hair. Unless you spend a of time, it doesn't look natural. Go to my original rules, and heed the "get rid of all facial hair" rule. You'll look younger.

Don't get a toupee, or go to Hair Club for Men. It just doesn't look natural. Best bet: keep your cut short, lament its passing, and GET IN SHAPE.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty