Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd love to hear which brands of sunscreen work for incredibly sensitive skin (face).
I have not yet found one that doesn't make me break out in a rash. I've even been to the dermatologist for suggestions and got nowhere. Vaseline is the only thing I can use on my face with no reaction.
I use baby sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Anything stronger than that makes my face swell up, turn bright red, and feel like it's on fire. It stays that way for about a month unless I see a doctor and get a prescription for steroids, with the meds it is better in two weeks. Once the swelling and redness subsides, my skin blisters and peels.

I always test it on the back of my hand before I use it on my face. Some brands will cause reactions for me even if those are the only sunscreens in them. I bought a tube of Banana Boat because it was cheaper than the others that I can use, but when I put it on my hand, I had the reaction there.

I used to be able to use chemical sunscreens and then I just suddenly started having a reaction to them. I've developed allergies to lots of things recently, even things that I've used for years without any reaction. My most recent bad ones were the flu shot, and latex.

I'm afraid that eventually I'll end up allergic to even the baby sunscreens. I try to limit how much I use it, and I cover up with a hat and a thin long-sleeved shirt as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,782,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I use baby sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Anything stronger than that makes my face swell up, turn bright red, and feel like it's on fire. It stays that way for about a month unless I see a doctor and get a prescription for steroids, with the meds it is better in two weeks. Once the swelling and redness subsides, my skin blisters and peels.

I always test it on the back of my hand before I use it on my face. Some brands will cause reactions for me even if those are the only sunscreens in them. I bought a tube of Banana Boat because it was cheaper than the others that I can use, but when I put it on my hand, I had the reaction there.

I used to be able to use chemical sunscreens and then I just suddenly started having a reaction to them. I've developed allergies to lots of things recently, even things that I've used for years without any reaction. My most recent bad ones were the flu shot, and latex.

I'm afraid that eventually I'll end up allergic to even the baby sunscreens. I try to limit how much I use it, and I cover up with a hat and a thin long-sleeved shirt as much as possible.
We must be twins. I have the same reaction and also use the baby sunscreen. I've been able to use Coppertone's Waterbabies and the Walmart house brand which is Equate Baby Sunscreen Lotion. So far so good. My allergies are also becoming more extensive as I age which is so frustrating. I'm so sorry you have the latex allergy going on . . . I hope you've seen the list of cross-reactors. Many foods are involved as well as the skin contact issue. Avocado is one and some makeup products use avocado oil. It just goes on and on.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:25 AM

27 posts, read 25,150 times
I stopped wearing makeup altogether a couple years ago because my skin just does not like it. I did have some success with only one Clinique product which was their foundation. Everything else burned my eyes, even their skin creams that weren't put on/around my eyes. Something about the "unscented" scent or something in it made my eyes dry/burn. Couldn't touch bareminerals or any drug store brands - even the organic kinds. I also had good luck with NYX face powder and benefit powders/bronzers/blushes but nothing for the eyes from either line. Of course, in my opinion, natural is the most beautiful. No amount of makeup could ever beat natural beauty.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times
yes, natural beauty is good, but in certain circumstances, you do have to wear makeup to look professional. i have to wear makeup for my work, or else my patients sometimes lose their confidence in me as a professional. one time a patient of mine asked me if i was tired, but in fact i wasn't. when i looked in the mirror, the evidence was there--dark undereye circles. ever since then, i've been wearing concealers just to even my face out. i draw out my eyebrows too. those are my basics. i look so dumpy without concealers and my eyebrows. besides, i'm older than most of my pretty coworkers (in their mid-20s), and so while they can get away with not having to wear makeup (they themselves wear more makeup than i do), i certainly can't. i have to come off as more professional, especially at my age now. i can't afford to not look put together or else i'd look irresponsible at work.

have been changing to more natural/organic makeup too, and it's been a hit and miss. i'm generally avoiding drugstore stuff now because they tend to have a lot more of preservatives/fillers/chemicals (parabens, phthalates, etc) in them hence the cheaper price tag, and the products are not as finely milled/blended/produced as with higher-end stuff. not that i'm advocating department store stuff, but there's a reason why they're expensive--especially if you look at the ingredients closely and the quality of their production. though i do have to say, some of the indie organic/natural stuff are not as well produced either, hence the hit and miss. i'm also starting to DIY some of my stuff now, like the setting powder. i couldn't find one to my full satisfaction (no parabens, not too much silica/mica, no talc, has pearl powder, natural/organic) so now i'm trying to combine two products in one to try to combat oiliness come summer time.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:37 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
A friend of mine with skin sensitivities only uses Clinique now and it hasn't been giving her any trouble
I can use it sparingly and not keep it on too long... but is better than many other brands... I too have senistivities to many chemicals or all... and now dont wear much makeup at all.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 PM

27 posts, read 25,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
yes, natural beauty is good, but in certain circumstances, you do have to wear makeup to look professional.
totally agree with you that this is the case. I wish it weren't this way, but you're right. Same goes for my unruly curly hair. It doesn't look as "professional" as straight hair. I was just stating my personal view is that a majority of people look so much more beautiful naturally!

Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 PM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
All my adult life Ive wore makeup.. its only in the past few years IVe gone foundation free... I felt naked without it and took a while to come to terms with it.... i loved a bit of colour as it made me look and feel healthy.. and loved my eye makeup which Ive cut right back on too as older now so looks daft on me if I try to wear it like I used to..natural if a natural beauty is wonderful.......for most of us its not how it is and we need some help..

Old 02-21-2016, 01:53 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
My sensitive skin has been loving Cover Drops by Cover FX. I can't bear foundation and I hate my face feeling coated... so when I heard about a pure pigment made to mix with your moisturizer -- I had to try it.

I apply my serum, and then I put three pumps of CeraVe (my favorite moisturizer) into my palm and then add two small drops of color and mix. Boy does it look wrong -- so so sheer. But when you apply it -- it blends out and covers (I need a light coverage, by the way -- more coverage add more drops up to four). When I get to my eyes, I add a little (very little) light illumination to the mix and that's my eye concealer.

I don't feel coated up with Cover Drops. Sometimes I feel when I read product descriptions they are trying to pack too much into one thing (anti-aging! anti-wrinkle! it's a primer! it's a foundation! it's a serum! anti-oxidents! it's a miracle! -- just too much). The last tinted moisturizer I tried I liked, but still -- I felt it wasn't moisturizing enough to use alone, and if I lightly moisturized before application I felt coated again, like if I had to draw my finger down my cheek, you could see a line. Too heavy moisturizer wise, with light coverage. Mixing it with my moisturizer didn't work -- NO coverage. Trying to mix foundation with moisturizer never worked for me -- there's just too much stuff in foundation for it to work well -- it would just okay... and this stuff costs too much for something to be okay.

And my skin color is hard to match -- I'm not quite Vampire white. Cover FX has about 20 some colors to match. The one I picked was perfect NC20.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:04 PM

635 posts, read 754,930 times
Thank you for all the suggestions. People tell me that I look fine without makeup, but with it, I look more exotic. I agree...I love how I look with makeup but so far, I've only been able to wear it to special events since I'm that sensitive.

One reason I tan (not in winter months) is because it really helps my image and I don't need makeup so bad. And yes I know, tanning is bad.

I may just head to Ulta and ask what they think. It's pretty overwhelming all of the products out there.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,364 times
sephora is the same too. overwhelming. but sometimes, i feel like i'm a kid in a chocolate store (hate candy) in both places lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty