Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

I bought all this stuff during the '90s when I was working outside the home and we were traveling a lot. I slip on one of the blazers occasionally but it just looks weird to me now with the padded shoulders. Not quite 80's padded shoulders but still.

I don't even see women wearing blazers any more. I should just donate all this stuff, right?

Working from home I wear jeans, Lucky Brand tops and sandals but as it gets warmer I'm transitioning to the same broomstick tie-dyed cotton dresses I've worn for the past three years. It feels like time for a change.

I like Neon Buddha but it's hard to find the styles and colors that suit me best. Ideas? I'm really getting tired of jeans.

I'm in my early sixties. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Can the shoulder pads be removed and have it still work? Or reduced to where it works? If you do much sewing, a lot of things can be altered easily.

As to not seeing anyone else wearing blazers, what has that got to do with anything? Once you're out of your twenties, you no longer have to pay attention to the fashion police. If you like blazers, wear a blazer. Styles come and go, too, blazers will be back around again.

How about vintage? What were some of the styles that you really liked that fit and were comfortable?

I always like classics since you can get a very good quality of clothing and it will be there for decades. Saves ever so much bother having to make money to spend on clothes. Generally, if you buy quality, you only have to buy it once.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Blazers do seem to get dated faster than a lot of other things might... The "blazers" being worn now are really like indoor/outdoor "jackets". They're quite casual compared to years ago. They aren't tailored, they're very lightweight and usually unlined, without buttons.

They're versatile, so they work well with jeans as a "jacket", and they can also be worn with slacks or a dress for work.

There are even ones out now that are made out of sweatshirt material, but those are too casual for work IMO. The styles have changed...

I've gotten a couple of these "blazers" at Old Navy that look good in the office during the Summer. Sometimes they have linen styles that look dressier. Quite a steal. I've got a blazer/jacket from Zara that's a little more tailored, and office-appropriate. H&M has nice inexpensive ones. I'm in my early 40s, btw, for reference.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Women's Blazers | Nordstrom

Yes women wear what they call blazers. With the more expensive older blazers, it might be worth it to have a tailor recut it for you. That is, if the fabric is still in good shape, and if you would really like to wear them again. It will not be cheap, but if there is no way you could afford this garment now, then I'd say have it recut in a style you like. Ditto the silk shirts. Shirts have come back in style. Your shirt is probably made better with better fabric than any comparable modern garment at the same price point is.

Wear with pride, because you didn't discard it; you restyled it.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:18 AM

466 posts, read 581,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can the shoulder pads be removed and have it still work? Or reduced to where it works? If you do much sewing, a lot of things can be altered easily.

As to not seeing anyone else wearing blazers, what has that got to do with anything? Once you're out of your twenties, you no longer have to pay attention to the fashion police. If you like blazers, wear a blazer. Styles come and go, too, blazers will be back around again.

How about vintage? What were some of the styles that you really liked that fit and were comfortable?

I always like classics since you can get a very good quality of clothing and it will be there for decades. Saves ever so much bother having to make money to spend on clothes. Generally, if you buy quality, you only have to buy it once.
You are so right - I'm 71 and I still wear my Ralph Lauren blazer (with the shoulder pads removed). I still wear all my tailor made wool jackets that I have had since the 1990s, they are classic styles and just keep going.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Women are still wearing blazers, but they're a different silhouette than in the 80's and 90's. These days they're shorter (no longer than mid hip) and very fitted to emphasize the curve at the waist.

Long, boxy shapeless blazers look very dated.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I bought all this stuff during the '90s when I was working outside the home and we were traveling a lot. I slip on one of the blazers occasionally but it just looks weird to me now with the padded shoulders. Not quite 80's padded shoulders but still.

I don't even see women wearing blazers any more. I should just donate all this stuff, right?

Working from home I wear jeans, Lucky Brand tops and sandals but as it gets warmer I'm transitioning to the same broomstick tie-dyed cotton dresses I've worn for the past three years. It feels like time for a change.

I like Neon Buddha but it's hard to find the styles and colors that suit me best. Ideas? I'm really getting tired of jeans.

I'm in my early sixties. Thanks.
Yes, people do wear blazers. And Neon Buddha is not for 60-somethings, or even 40-somethings, generally. Tie-dyed dresses? My dear, you need a professional makeover. Where is Oprah when you need her? Either pay for a professional makeover expert, or go to a higher-end department store, preferably one that has personal shoppers, like Nordstrom's, and ask a salesperson to help you. It's not clear from your OP whether you're looking for a more professional look for work-related meetings, or some contemporary (non-1960's-era) casual wear, but it sounds like, in any case, you need some wardrobe updating. Good luck, and have fun with it!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:39 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I wear blazers almost daily for my job, but I also have some I wear casually. Blazers will always be around I think.
If they are good quality blazer maybe you could you have the shoulder pads removed and tailored? It might help them feel more modern and casual.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Women are still wearing blazers, but they're a different silhouette than in the 80's and 90's. These days they're shorter (no longer than mid hip) and very fitted to emphasize the curve at the waist.

Long, boxy shapeless blazers look very dated.
This! I love a good blazer but I wear the "modern" day version of the blazer. I'm not into the sporty bomber jacket look so a good blazer will always be a staple for me and currently I have 3.

Although I'm young I don't follow trends, however I keep my wardrobe up to date but I wear and buy clothing that fit my esthetic whether it's on trend or not.

I love RL and that brand will always be "in" and classic, you just need the updated RL. This is also why it's important to keep an active social life because it gives you excuses to dress up and keep up with the times. When you do everything in the home and don't really have a reason to get out, you find yourself stuck in a time capsule because you're not out and about growing in the world.

I suggest checking out Nordstrom Rack, Saks off 5th, Bloomindales, you will find designer clothing at a good price point. Awww I wish I knew you I would have fun being your personal stylist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty