Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
That's just so weird to me though. Are you talking about like, wear that as daily wear? I don't know if you're from a fancy place, but I have never in my life seen anyone wear that clothing for anything other than events like weddings.
You have never seen anyone not wear jeans/tshirt/sneakers outside of a wedding?

Jeans are fine to wear, even skinny jeans... even colored skinny jeans. Nothing bedazzled or with glitter though. Most people, regardless of age, wear jeans.

Don't wear sneakers, wear heels. It will add height, which will help as well.

In cooler months wear fitted jackets and cardigans instead of sweatshirts.

And even if you can fit into children clothes, refrain from shopping in the children's department of any store. It might be cheaper, but the cut will make you look like a child as they are not meant for a woman's body. Instead, try to find stores that also have a petite department. The clothes will fit much better.

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/petite.jsp

http://www.anntaylor.com/petites/cata00004

home | Banana Republic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 08:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
OP: I was in the same boat at your age, probably a bit worse off because I was also had no meat on my bones. Anyway, piling on make-up and dressing like a middle-age women doesn't always work. Like previous posters suggested, avoid trendy styles (they'll make you look even more youthful); you can still wear the jeans and sneakers style you are comfortable with, but opt for more "modern classics" like Banana Republic-type looks. The key is to look mature and put-together, not necessarily older.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
I'm 32 and I wear T-shirt and Jeans, throw in the Chucks, I could pass for a h.s. as an outfit...but there are a lot of older men/women who wears this same outfit. Check out google, A LOT of 'older' women wear just jeans and regular tshirt.

With the make-up advice, you really have to go to those make-up stores to help you out. Someone suggested smokey-eye...I mean, for an everyday look? I think that's a little too much. Someone also didn't approve of the red lipstick, though I see a lot of women pull it off really well...day and night. I don't know how people can give you make-up advice when they have never seen you or even know how you dress on a regular basis or what's your lifestyle. Heels? I see h.s. kids on heels, walking on it better than I can, but they still look young.

I think to look "older", you just have to act/speak like one. I remember the first time I met my friend's little sister, I thought she's in h.s. already, but she was only in gr. 7 at the time. The way she talked was very confident and outgoing. If she told you she's senior h.s., you'd believe it. How to act like an adult? Pay attention to the crowd you're in, look at someone who you think or come off as older, then see what it is about them/their actions that makes you think they are...try to copy that.

I suggest Pinterest. Look at your fave celebrities and copy how they dress. Or, even look at celebrities that are similar to your body figure, copy that. Well, if their outfit looks grown up lol.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
When I was looking super young I avoided stuff like hoodies and backpacks. They just make you look younger. If you wear jeans, wear classic ones try ballet flats instead of sneakers. A blouse instead of a t-shirt. cardigan instead of a hoodie. And a structured "plain" purse vs let's say that free bag you got from the grocery store. If you wear sneakers make sure they are sleek and clean if they are part of your outfit and you aren't going to the gym.

There are a bunch of little signals that say adult. You are also only 20, and I assume you are spending time with mostly your peer group.

Now that I am in my late 30s, I look old enough to wear the trends and still look like an adult, though I am generally perceived as in my 20s vs 30s. I am not getting carded so often anymore. I never got much into wearing much makeup, my mom never did so I didn't really have any makeup role models. I occasionally put on a little, but I can't give you tips on how to look older with makeup.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:24 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
I just to be the same way....people would exclaim, "You look soooo young!!"...even when I was in my 50s and then in my 60s.....ah, but wait for the Golden 70s...you'll look old.

When we reach those so-called golden years, every year makes a huge difference in our aging and how we look. It's nothing like going from 20-30, 30-40, etc.

And I accept that the OP didn't want any comments about 'wait until you're old', but trust me on this: the decades do fly by, no doubt about it.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
I don't know how people can give you make-up advice when they have never seen you or even know how you dress on a regular basis or what's your lifestyle.
Because the white eyeshadow, too much black eyeliner and bright red lipstick is what my 14 year old does when she's trying to look older. I know neutral colors will look better on almost any face and won't look as much like a little girl playing dress up.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:52 AM

213 posts, read 204,878 times
The only comfort I can give you is that it is 100 times worse when you are a guy with a baby-face.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM

780 posts, read 678,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Because the white eyeshadow, too much black eyeliner and bright red lipstick is what my 14 year old does when she's trying to look older. I know neutral colors will look better on almost any face and won't look as much like a little girl playing dress up.
I agree on the white eye shadow, that is a no go

But a lot of ladies look amazing with black eyeliner and red lipstick...yes, even bright lipstick. Red lipstick on black (winged or not) eyeliner is a classic look that is back on trend. I personally can't pull it off, but I've seen some of the ladies that I know and they look very woman-like and put together.

Again, I don't know how she applied her make-up, so I can't really say if it's a yay or nay and I can't imagine how anyone can say otherwise. Except ok, yes, not the white eye shadow lol

Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Enjoy having that youthful look while it lasts. For women, that clock generally ticks quicker than for men.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
This is much better than the first poster (no offense to first poster).

And, yeah, I think my makeup could use an update. I've been doing it the same forever. I'm in the process of losing weight, so I can accent my figure and wear skirts after that. Fifteen pounds gone, about 30 more to go.

As for the deeper voice part--- I'm pretty sure that's not happening.
What I meant is that sometimes women pitch their voices high, sometimes so high they sound like toy dolls. If you think that is you, try to find a comfortable, lower pitch that seems natural. I am not recommending using a basso voice. You might speak into a recorder to hear what your voice sounds like.

This is just a suggestion though. Use your discretion, as I am sure you will.

Congrats on the weight loss. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty