Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,983,039 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job in a few weeks and need to buy business clothing for the first time in a long time.

I can't wear regular fit, too baggy.

I can't wear slim fit, too tight on my shoulders.

I've tried fitted fit, still slightly too tight on my shoulders.

I don't want to have to tailor dress shirts for work. For my suit, I had to buy a 44" jacket and tailor everything but the shoulders and arms down to 42".

I've tried out numerous brands with no avail. Anyone have this issue? Maybe can guide me to particular brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 03:08 PM

22,637 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

I've tried out numerous brands with no avail. Anyone have this issue? Maybe can guide me to particular brands.

Well, what brands did not work?
Have you tried Jos A Bank and Lands' End?

Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 4,758,607 times
In my experience, a lot of different brands will vary in size even if the labels say they are the same size. I even found that dress shirts made in South American countries tend to fit me better than those made in Asian countries, but that might just be unique to me. I just have to keep trying on shirts and doing the little 'workout' moves (stretching the arms, bending down, etc.), deciding if it's close enough. Then I buy three or four of them in different colors, because...well, once you hit pay dirt, you need to stock up.

The Dillards employees must run for their lives when they see me come in.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,905,867 times
Best fit for athletic builds is the athletic cut by Polo brand. Even then the cut is too conservative so I end up cutting the sides and tailoring the taper myself.

Yeah, if you can picture a guy buying a sewing machine off of Craigslist, Googling "how to thread a sewing machine", and getting to work on an $80 shirt...that's how I began Years later, I customize all my stuff. Pants, shirts, vests, etc. Tailoring machine here

Last edited by HansProof; 04-24-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Best fit for athletic builds is the athletic cut by Polo brand. Even then the cut is too conservative so I end up cutting the sides and tailoring the taper myself.

Yeah, if you can picture a guy buying a sewing machine off of Craigslist, Googling "how to thread a sewing machine", and getting to work on an $80 shirt...that's how I began Years later, I customize all my stuff. Pants, shirts, vests, etc. Tailoring machine here
Good for you!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
I'd recommend buying the shirt that fits in neck and shoulders and having it altered to fit you. This is a relatively easy fix for a tailor or seamstress. Or, Google custom dress shirts and investigate some of the businesses that do custom shirts via online. You might have to get help getting accurate measurements, but if you are hard to fit, I think this is worth investigating.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:09 PM

4,245 posts, read 6,926,083 times
Check Bonobos. I rep them all the time because they have a variety of cuts that tend to all fit very nicely. I haven't found any better fitting shirts off the rack. Otherwise you're looking at finding something that fits in the neck and reasonably well elsewhere and getting it tailored or getting MTO if you can't find a brand you're happy with of course.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
I'd try going to Nordstrom, they have very experienced salespeople and they will know if anything they have will fit you. They also have options for custom made shirt or can do onsite tailoring if it turns out that is the best option.

I would definitely invest in some quality shirts that fit right so that they will last you a while.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,983,039 times
Yea, I'm trying to avoid tailoring. I don't have to get *that* fancy for this job. I just don't want to look like a slob.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
I have the same problem... can't find button down shirts that are comfortable. Regular fit and they're all baggy around the waist and drive me crazy. Slim fit shirts are a little too tight across the chest. I don't need dress shirts like for a suit, but business casual type long sleeve, button down shirts.

I recently ordered a shirt from "UnTuckit" (they're made to be un-tucked) and ordered the slim fit. It looks good on me, but still just a little too tight in the shoulders/chest. It just annoys me... I'm more comfortable in winter when I can wear sweaters to work. And I don't like having to go to a tailor or spending $100 on a shirt. I guess that's what you get for being in shape in the U.S. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty