Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times

Advertisements

the red necks will be ROFL at every stop along the way

it will be just like a scene out of the movie "BILLY JACK" when a group of students from the reservation try to go into town to buy an ice cream cone and the locals pick on them.

and the ice cream shop owner refuses to serve them.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:31 PM

5 posts, read 3,457 times
My boyfriend has dressed like this when we have driven across Florida. In his tribal custom they believe you should dress traditional at least occasionally and they believe that if you wear traditional clothing it should be worn for the day and not just a few hours.

I love it when he dresses traditional and if I had it my way he would only wear his traditional brechcloth, head band, and moccasins every day. But we occasionally go places where is isn't appropriate.

He has a beaded chest protector to wear when he needs a shirt - it does cover most of his chest. The breechcloth looks really good on him and shows the sides of his butt but otherwise keeps him fully covered.

Dressing like this has not been a problem in Florida - I am just concerned about pockets of racist jerks during the trip.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western-girl View Post
My boyfriend has dressed like this when we have driven across Florida. In his tribal custom they believe you should dress traditional at least occasionally and they believe that if you wear traditional clothing it should be worn for the day and not just a few hours.

I love it when he dresses traditional and if I had it my way he would only wear his traditional brechcloth, head band, and moccasins every day. But we occasionally go places where is isn't appropriate.

He has a beaded chest protector to wear when he needs a shirt - it does cover most of his chest. The breechcloth looks really good on him and shows the sides of his butt but otherwise keeps him fully covered.

Dressing like this has not been a problem in Florida - I am just concerned about pockets of racist jerks during the trip.
If you're concerned, just drop this plan and proceed in ordinary clothes. What point are you trying to make? You WILL encounter racist jerks and just plain gawkers who will stare and point. Let the guy dress in ordinary clothes and proceed accordingly. And by the way Seattle in in Washington, not Oregon.

So don't lose your way heading to Portland, when Seattle is your destination. Dress like the rest of of us and don't make him a spectacle on the way. Focus on the end result, not the novelty along the way.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
My boyfriend is Native American Indian (really - with a tribal ID card and Indian name)! We have been going to school in Florida and I have already been accepted for a job in Seattle. After graduation in 3 weeks we will drive to Seattle to start my new job. We have been together for nearly a year. I am a Euromutt white girl and he is full blood Sioux and was raised on the reservation. I have lived in Florida my whole life. He is the only non-white guy I have ever been with. I love him.

He has long jet black hair, high cheek bones, dark eyes, and a natural tan. He dances in pow-wows and does other indian activities. He has several sets of traditional indian clothing which includes breechcloths, moccasins, and head bands with a feather - of course he has normal white people type clothing that he usually wears.

The air conditioning died in our car last month and we won't have the money to fix it until after I start my new job.

When we drive to Seattle I want my boyfriend to just wear his Indian style breechcloth and headband like he wears to powwows and other indian activities! He looks great in a breechcloth and it seems to me that as a native american indian here in the US he would have the right to wear his traditional clothing anywhere any time!

But I am concerned if there could be racist rednecks that could cause trouble for him wearing his traditional clothing or cause trouble for him being an indian with a white girl. We have never had any trouble with him wearing his traditional clothing here in florida. How will people in other states/areas act with an indian in his traditional clothing sharing motel rooms with a white girl?

The thought of driving across country with my indian boyfriend wearing his traditional breechcloth is fun! I like the thought of him going into truck stops and gas stations to pay for our fuel - standing in line will be a nice & respectable native guy in a breechcloth with a headband and a feather - same thing every nite at motels!

Should I expect any problems during the trip?
WHOA, whoa! YOU WANT? Have you run this "bright idea" by him? This relationship isn't going to last long, I can tell right now, if you go around pulling stunts like this, by which I mean--telling him what to wear, and fetishizing him, IF this post is even for real!

GAH!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 PM

He wears traditional clothing 1 or 2 times a week. He always wears traditional clothing for powwows and ceremonies and when those things happen he wears the breechcloths for all day per tribal tradition.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:

No they don't, cripes, it isn't playing dress up just for fun, there are specific reasons for specific dress.
Go play dress up somewhere else and quit mocking the ancients.
http://www.indians.org/articles/nati...headdress.html
http://www.indians.org/articles/index.html

Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 PM

I ran the idea by him last weekend when we were driving from Tampa to Jacksonville and he was dressed in his traditional breechcloth (we were driving home from a powwow). Since our air conditioning is broke, it helps him stay cool and he doesn't mind. He said if I wanted him to dress that way for the drive to Seattle he would do it as long as we keep a set of white people clothing incase he needs those type of clothes. Here in Florida they have been accepting of him when he wears traditional clothing.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,817 times
yeah sure go for it - just be careful what you ask for- broken air conditioning and a sweaty Indian freeballing next to you- sounds lovely.........

Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Stop treating your boyfriend like some weird fetish.

If he dressed this way normally, it would be one thing. You said he doesn't.

If the breechcloth turns you on and he's cool with it, make it an in-the-room activity.

It sounds like you're going to be giggling and gawking at every gas station, food or **** stop when he hops out in his gear, which sounds like it won't be fun for him. And that's just your reaction, not everyone else's.

Grow up.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:47 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
He wears traditional clothing 1 or 2 times a week. He always wears traditional clothing for powwows and ceremonies and when those things happen he wears the breechcloths for all day per tribal tradition.
yeah, he always wears it for that kind of stuff. not for car rides across the country. stop being ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty