Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times

Advertisements

In Toronto, Canada the best prices for perfume are always at certain Drug Store (ex Shoppers Drug Mart or Rexall), there are a few factory stores that sell at reduced prices that advertise in the local papers (but they are hit or miss as something the prices are not that great unless you get a door crasher type special). If you get perfume at shoppers drug mart you are usually getting a crazy better rate and on top of that there are points promotions and spending incentives on during the week ex spend $75 and at a $25 dollar gift card for their store or something else. I use to work at a perfume demo and can tell when it is a knock off or the real stuff. This store sells the really stuff. Newer brands are always less likely to be discounted, but you still get gift cards and possible a gift with purchase if you get perfume from shoppers drug mart. Also after Christmas they discount most of their gift sets and you can still get points or a regard gift card for spending a certain amount. If you are from the USA and visiting Canada and like perfume like me serious check it out you are going to be getting this stuff at a steal and way way way cheaper then duty free even with the taxes added in the normal store. Shoppers Drug Mart is a very very very popular chain pharmacy here and honestly I rarely do there to buy pharmacy stuff. Certain stores have better selections and more higher end stuff. Ex if you are in the down town core you are more likely going to have brands like Channel (I got a free bottle of channel number 5 last year using my points). The literally same things sell for up to 3-4 times the price at duty free at the board or the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
brands like Channel (I got a free bottle of channel number 5 last year using my points). The literally same things sell for up to 3-4 times the price at duty free at the board or the airport.

Notice anything?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I don't purchase perfume in stores because the vast majority do not carry niche and indie fragrances. I'm very picky about the fragrances I buy. I'm not into designer or dept. store fragrances.
Same here. There are some great sites like Surrender to Chance - Perfume Samples & Fragrance Decants and Luckyscent: the best selection of niche perfumes, fragrances and candles anywhere. that sell samples for under $5. If you don't know where to start, try a review site like Perfumes and Colognes Magazine, Perfume Reviews and Online Community—Fragrantica.com which lists the perfumes and their ingredients plus thousands of great, detailed reviews and a discussion forum. Warning - it can become extremely addictive! My latest addiction is the Pierre Montale line of Aouds.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:26 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I usually buy perfume at Ross. I can't wear any scent for long before it starts giving me migraines, so I'd rather spend $25 on a bottle than pay a lot more. I also can't go smell a lot of perfumes at once because that is a migraine trigger for me. I can smell three or four scents, but no more. My husband likes to go to Ulta because they've got all the fragrances out where you can test them, but he has to go without me.
Your headaches are telling you something Hedgehog.. have a look at what in all perfumes, no matter how expensive....

Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I have a funny story about perfume, OP. When my ex-husband and I first started dating, he bought me a wonderful smelling bottle of perfume from a kiosk at the mall. I loved the fragrance, even though I'm not a big perfume wearer. He told me he bought all his ex-girlfriends the same fragrance in the past. I wasn't sure if he was being serious, and if so, it was a very weird comment to make. Nevertheless, I brushed it off at the time, because the scent was lovely and I wore it regularly after that.

Fast forward to several years later: our relationship was on the rocks, I was seriously thinking about leaving the marriage, and considering my options. One day I met a wonderful woman and we eventually fell in love and got married. I asked her what she found attractive about me. She told me the first thing that drew me to her was my fragrance. The name of the perfume? Catalyst

Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I'm currently using L'homme by Yves St Laurent that I bought at Dillards BUT prior to that I bought a bottle of custom cologne in a store in New Orleans that made custom scents. I need to get back over there. I think it was on Royal N of Canal but I am not 100%

Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
This won't help the OP, but I'm posting this in case anyone else is interested in essential oil perfume blends. I prefer real essential oils to chemicals, and I like to know exactly what I'm getting in a blend, so I buy my perfumes only from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

The vibe of the site is dark Goth romanticism, and the names of the perfumes can sometimes be a bit unusual (Embalming Fluid and Snake Oil are two popular fragrances), but I like to use perfumes for the healing and mood lifting properties of the essential oils, and I find these to be of high quality and not only good smelling, but very effective.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't like to order online but I'd like suggestions about brick and mortar stores or kiosks that have the best designer perfume prices.

At Christmas time I know you can find some decent deals, when gift sets are sold. But year-round, day to day -- what stores have good prices on perfume?

The brands I'm interested in are things like Jimmy Choo, Givenchy, etc (as opposed to lower end brands)

Thanks
I paid around $70 for Versace at a department store and saw the exact same thing at CVS for $30 cheaper a few months later.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
The stores with the biggest selection of perfumes I like: Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, and a couple of specialty boutiques.

Also, I like to shop at duty-free shops in airports because the prices tend to be lower, and the concentration of the fragrance stronger. For example, eau de parfums and parfums are often less expensive than what you'd get in a department store in the US.
At Glasgow airport its impossible not to have to go thru the perfume counters as its the only way from baggage search to get thru to the waiting area.. I have to run the gauntlet and warn the assistants not to dare spray me.... this should all be stopped. and another way should be available for people like me who have a bad aversion to perfumes..

Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Unfortunately I have to buy mine online because my favorites are all either discontinued (like Cher Uninhibited and Fendi) or very hard to find (like Teatro Alla Scala, and even Tabu is hard to find now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty