Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Does anyone here feel comfortable wearing sleeveless in church?

I live in Central Texas, where the summer heat is broiling. I typically wear sleeveless, tank-type shirts, shorts and sandals for most places. However, for church I wear a sleeveless dress or blouse with long pants, along with shoes and socks. However, I always use a shrug, or lightweight sweater to cover my shoulders while in the service. Actually, I carry a light wrap most places because they sometimes crank the AC beyond my "sleeveless" comfort level.

How many here feel bare shoulders, along with bare legs and bare feet, are not appropriate for church?

I don't think our Lord cares what we wear as long as we show up. I live in SW Florida and very few people "dress" for church. I typically wore nice jeans and sandals with simple top unless it was Easter or Christmas. That being said you cannot go into churches in Italy with bare shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:48 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I went to see an old temple in Greece and was told to cover up as I was wearing a halter neck top with a low back and shorts... This was an ancient temple ruin not one where they actually go to pray...Also my oldest son if being married next Thurs in Greece.. and him and his partner will not be allowed to marry inside the small beach church.. why I dont know..Theyre paying a fortune to marry there and it has to take place in front of the church.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is nothing wrong with bare arms. Appropriateness usually has a lot to do with a person knowing what looks good on them. Like, a sundress on a slim teenager is probably fine, but the same dress on a big fat lady is not.
We have all seen examples of people who are clueless about what is appropriate.
What will happen to the "big fat lady" wearing the sundress? Will God smite her right there in the pew? Or will He wait until she's out in the parking lot so the church janitor won't have so much to clean up?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I grew up on the beach and have seen sundresses and bare legs since I was a kid.

Women still wear hose?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:59 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

I live in Central Texas, where the summer heat is broiling. I typically wear sleeveless, tank-type shirts, shorts and sandals for most places. However, for church I wear a sleeveless dress or blouse with long pants, along with shoes and socks. However, I always use a shrug, or lightweight sweater to cover my shoulders while in the service. Actually, I carry a light wrap most places because they sometimes crank the AC beyond my "sleeveless" comfort level.

How many here feel bare shoulders, along with bare legs and bare feet, are not appropriate for church?
Absolutely, yes. Most all of my summer wardrobe is sleeveless.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:

I'm no prude by a long shot, but I do think that going sleeveless is a bit inappropriate, for both men and women. Church is a place where the churchgoer dresses to show respect. Sandals are inappropriate, too, IMO.

OTOH, Catholic churches are a bit more lenient, since they hold mass numerous times a week at all times of the day and night, and they want people to just drop in for mass, whether they just got off work or are on the way to do grocery shopping. But for the once a week attending Sunday service, take it a step up, to show respect.

Think of it this way: If you showed up in court wearing a sleeveless tank and sandals (male or female), the judge might well kick you out. Or remark on your disrespectful attire.

If it's inappropriate for court, it's inappropriate for Church, and vice versa, IMO.

What's the big deal with dressing nicely and more appropriately for church and other places? Is it that much a hardship? If you have to ask if it's appropriate, it's probably not.

As for the heat, churches are usually air conditioned. Also, the rule for being cool in hot weather is not to go sleeveless. Wearing mid-length cotton sleeves actually keeps you cooler. I live in a region where it gets triple digits in the summer.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
So long as what you're wearing isn't lewd or you're seeking attention I see no issues.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Almost 90% of my church was full this morning with seats taken by college-aged members of a service organization on a work trip. They were all wearing organizational tee shirts and mostly nylon gym shorts (it is 90 degrees and our church is not well air conditioned). My sleeveless top, maxi skirt, and dressy sandals looked quite dressed up, by comparison.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My takeaway was also how nice it was to have an extra 200 young people there worshiping, singing, and enjoying fellowship, and what they wore was not something anybody was blinking an eye at.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
It really depends on the church. Some are formal, some not so much.

I attend a large church in a semi rural area of Washington state. People wear shorts, flip flops, sleeveless shirts all the time in the summer. In the winter it's more jeans, sweatshirts, and parkas. People don't wear indecent clothes, but then, they wouldn't wear indecent clothes for a trip to the grocery store or a morning with friends.

I agree that the idea of wearing your "Sunday best" is silly. Who are you (generic "you") trying to impress?
Sounds like you haven't been to a black church. As a kid it wasn't appropriate to go without panty hose! So today I still think sleeveless "inappropriate" and you should cover up with a sweater. But I grew up going to some of the most formal churches. You could likely get away with a fairly conservative sleeveless item, but no skimpy straps. And definitely no shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty