Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 06:17 PM

343 posts, read 316,630 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been tired of being called 'cute', or basic or average? What does all of that mean anyway?

And I notice this a lot, whenever i get called cute by everyday people they look at me without seeing me (as if they are from a distance at me) if that makes sense, and if a guy calls me cute, he does that thing where he looks at me calls me cute, then looks away with a smile on his face but then doesn't do much to acknowledge me again? (which is weird but i don't care), and it's like i'm always being left hanging with 'am i ever going to be called anything else!?'..grrr! I mean, i get told im beautiful and pretty also, but the word 'cute' is the ringleader here.

Is cute some covert word for females who have decent enough looks to improve on (via makeover) to make them look better (and make them feel better instead of just being told they don't look as good as the next female?) Is it a word used to say you have just enough physical appeal to not be called ugly/fugly, basic, homely, or average? Is it a word used to keep females 'down' so they don't try and 'out-beauty' other females? Is it a word used to (like all back-handed compliments) sneakily imply that they look like a child (younger than their age)?

Are the descriptions average, homely, basic, etc. the grey areas between what is attractive and what is not? Google 'the curse of being cute' and you will further see what I am talking about. As if the word 'cute' is the second place trophy for those who fail to be sexy!

Tell me your opinions, beliefs, and experiences please.

Looks Scale:

Greek Goddess (QUEEN & their looks kill in this category!)> sexpot/hot/knockout > fine/sexy > ethereal/glamorous/beautiful > knockout/pretty/cute > average/cute > average/basic/homely/normal > ugly/fugly/face only a mother could love

Old 07-09-2016, 08:11 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
I'm sure when people say cute is still a compliment but not to the point of " I've GOT to get my hands on him " or " he's absolutely gorgeous! " ..... Sort of thing.

Also the way they say it is key..... If it's a " he's sooooooo cute! " with enthusiasm then that's much better than a plain and drab " cute ".........

I'm currently a / ..... Depending on how drunk you are LOL

In all seriousness though it is quite subjective and can be construed or taken however you like........ Maybe that's why I like the word cute

Ps great thread

Last edited by Londoncowboy30; 07-09-2016 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Went overboard LOL

Old 07-10-2016, 12:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,910 times
IMO "cute" is just a different form of attraction and doesn't make the person any less attractive. Just... different. Hard to explain though, but maybe I'll come up with some examples later.

Of course I'm a man speaking of women... The female view might be different.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:59 PM

haha that makes sense, thank you for your response! Just trying to get some perspective

Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Overthinking, OP. There are a lot of women out there who'd be thrilled to be considered "cute". In any case, it means you're attractive, so why dissect it any more than that? Don't worry. Be happy.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:01 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
It doesn't stand very high for me; "cuteness" in my personal mindset, is usually linked, among women, with an ignorance of what goes on behind the scenes in the real worlds of economics and employment -- and among men, with a weak, malleable personality.

The most successful relationships I've enjoyed were with women who recognized the limits human interaction places on all of us, and made the best mileage out of the hands we were dealt.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:21 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
I'm with Ruth, cute means attractive so there's no need to dig that deep into it.

To me cute means, "I'd definitely be interesting….."
Is it knock out fine, or drop dead gorgeous? No. But "cute" is very good. Definitely NOT anything to take as an insult.

Also beauty is soooo in the eye of the beholder. For decades I'd hear people say Paul Newman was fine (very handsome). And I just didn't get it or see it. Then one day I saw him in an interview -- not even a movie role. And the light went on…and I even said, "Oh I see it now."

Or my friends and I will play a game of this person or that person. And I'll say "Kevin Coster or Clint Eastwood" -- or "George Clooney or Brad Pitt"…..most people would think ANY of these guys are gorgeous. But in playing that game more than one person has said about one or more of them…"uh, he's "OK"" And another person would say, "Are you crazy. My God he's gorgeous."

Old 07-10-2016, 01:34 PM

Thank you Ruth and Selhars for your comments. Guess I was blowing that topic out of proportion.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
To some people cuteness is their compass and a 10 on the cute scale is more attractive than a 10 on the beautiful scale.

To others it may be reversed.

Take a look at Christy Brinkley. She's cute as a button and has made close to $100 milllion dollars in her lifetime off her looks and cuteness.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:12 PM

81 posts, read 88,557 times
Cute.....you don't make me ill, but, I will only jump you if everybody else turns me down and I'm super in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.