Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
My father usually gets Land's End or another brand that is slipping my mind from JcPenney. He hates textured polos or polos with pockets so he is hard to shop for. But he likes their quality and the feel of them the best.
Land's End is pretty good. One style that I bought from them recently is a pink interlock long sleeve polo shirt, which is very hard to find for men. I actually think this could make a potential male fairy outfit for Halloween due to the light pink color combined with the smooth soft appearance of the interlock fabric, without looking too feminine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I am pretty sure everyone has a favorite brand of clothing overall, however, I would like to know what is your favorite brand specifically for polo shirts.

I personally am not a fan of shirts sold at Walmart or Target other than T-shirts, however, I don't like to break the bank on high-end designer brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren or Lacoste. Furthermore, Ralph Lauren's standard XXL size runs a bit small on me, so I generally have to purchase a 2XB (which is a bit larger than their standard XXL) size when shopping at a Ralph Lauren outlet.
Far and away, past two years, have been the Under Armour Men's Performance Polo. They aren't cheap, at about $50/each, but 1) look good 2) wick moisture exceptionally well 3) probably most importantly, are holding up well over time (I wash them on cold cycle). No wrinkles, either. I run pretty hot, these keep me cool.

I've had many Polo ...polos...as well, over the years. Nothing wrong with them, different fabrics however. I don't think I have any at-current, interestingly enough.

Cheap polos from Walmart, Target, and etc. for $15 or whatever last for maybe a season, or less. I've bought my share of those, and they look shabby pretty quickly. Ditto the t-shirts, which I toss out each year without fail. They often need to be ironed and such, too. I don't have time for that garbage or taking clothes to the cleaners much anymore. I will if needed, of course, but it isn't efficient. Do the math on that, decide if it's worth it to spend more up-front. I find the XLs to be true to size, with a little variation. Consider trying one as an experiment, but they're definitely not like all-cotton if that is a problem.

LOL: right from their website, I sound like I'm shilling (really not, just describing what totally works for me):

95% Polyester, 5% Elastane
Smooth, soft anti-pick, anti-pill fabric has a cleaner, snag-free finish
4-way stretch fabrication allows greater mobility in any direction
Moisture Transport System wicks sweat & dries fast
30+ UPF protects your skin from the sun’s harmful rays

Old 09-03-2016, 08:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
I don't own many polo shirts, but the one I have owned and liked the most was Mossimo brand (women's) from Target. I got my husband an athletic polo shirt from somewhere that is great. I wish I could remember where so he could get another one. I don't think the brand was helpful, and I can't even remember what that was.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Far and away, past two years, have been the Under Armour Men's Performance Polo. They aren't cheap, at about $50/each, but 1) look good 2) wick moisture exceptionally well 3) probably most importantly, are holding up well over time (I wash them on cold cycle). No wrinkles, either. I run pretty hot, these keep me cool.

I've had many Polo ...polos...as well, over the years. Nothing wrong with them, different fabrics however. I don't think I have any at-current, interestingly enough.

Cheap polos from Walmart, Target, and etc. for $15 or whatever last for maybe a season, or less. I've bought my share of those, and they look shabby pretty quickly. Ditto the t-shirts, which I toss out each year without fail. They often need to be ironed and such, too. I don't have time for that garbage or taking clothes to the cleaners much anymore. I will if needed, of course, but it isn't efficient. Do the math on that, decide if it's worth it to spend more up-front. I find the XLs to be true to size, with a little variation. Consider trying one as an experiment, but they're definitely not like all-cotton if that is a problem.

LOL: right from their website, I sound like I'm shilling (really not, just describing what totally works for me):

95% Polyester, 5% Elastane
Smooth, soft anti-pick, anti-pill fabric has a cleaner, snag-free finish
4-way stretch fabrication allows greater mobility in any direction
Moisture Transport System wicks sweat & dries fast
30+ UPF protects your skin from the sun’s harmful rays
I've gotten these under $15 sport polos and honestly I have one I got new Champions Tour from Kohl's in 2011, one PGA Tour I got from a Salvation Army in 2011, one George from Walmart within the last two years, one NordicTrac from Sears about October/November 2015, two 32 Down from Costco about November 2015 and just recently a Hudson River polo from Costco. All of these have lasted and run the gammit of being 40% poly to 100%. Even the George grey polo I got that I rarely wear because I always hated the thicker cotton style from my Boy Scout days when it was Class B uniform has lasted a few years now. I get these because I looked even in Under Armour's outlet yesterday and I see even $40 for them and think it is too much. I am a bargain shopper. I only got an Under Armour long-sleeve shirt for work yesterday because it was marked down to $29.99 and ended up being about 50% after markdowns, right around the price I would pay for long sleeve performance shirts.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I am pretty sure everyone has a favorite brand of clothing overall, however, I would like to know what is your favorite brand specifically for polo shirts.

I personally am an IZOD fan. I find them to be great quality without being too expensive. While most of my IZOD shirts are in my signature color, I also have some in other colors as well. This year I bought their Advantage Polo in six colors (Cradle Pink, Absinthe Green, Blue Radiance, Tea Rose, Real Red, and most recently Dusted Peri). The Advantage Polo is one of the best polo shirts they have come out with in recent years.

I personally am not a fan of shirts sold at Walmart or Target other than T-shirts, however, I don't like to break the bank on high-end designer brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren or Lacoste. Furthermore, Ralph Lauren's standard XXL size runs a bit small on me, so I generally have to purchase a 2XB (which is a bit larger than their standard XXL) size when shopping at a Ralph Lauren outlet.
DH favors Lands End polos. And he picked us some very nice Dillards brand polos last year that he likes.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
Nordstrom Men's Shop has excellent polos for $30 each that will last 10+ years. Best deal out there.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
I tend to wear Brooks Brothers since the slim cut fits me well, Ralph Lauren, Vineyard Vines, Billy Reid, Sunspel, Lacoste, and J. Crew. I also have some Jack Spade, Thom Browne, and Saint Laurent that I also like in terms of fit and quality.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-09-2016, 12:21 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I haven't bought a polo in years because frankly I just don't like them. However, Bonobos has easily been my main go-to brand for years and I did try on their polos just to see. The fit and feel was very good, but I did not buy any because I just decided I still don't like the look.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:56 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Don't own a polo, can't stand polyester. I am retired so I wear t-shirts half the year. Most are souvenirs of my travels.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 AM

604 posts, read 856,661 times
I have a couple of Burberry polos I really like. I found them at a thrift store with the tags still on them. They're all cotton and drape really nicely. The cut is flattering and they're long enough that I'm not always tugging them down, which is important for me because I'm tall. I love them so much that I went to Burberry's website looking for more of them but they're yikes, pricey! So I keep those two shirts for nice casual wear and look for more of them at the thrift shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty