Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:37 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It varies a lot among people. I am a Caucasian male, with lots of hair on my chest, and as I get older it's also falling off my head and taking root on my shoulders and back. Yet my beard grows very slowly and is kind of patchy.

In general Asian men have less body and facial hair than Caucasians, but there are lots and lots of exceptions in both directions.
Thanks for making me dislike the effects of male puberty even less! Indeed, one would think that all of one's new hair growth would have ended at the end of puberty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I noticed Asian people have no beards and hair on their face? what might the reason be?
Just a guess, but perhaps due to them having lower levels of testosterone (on average)?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Just a guess, but perhaps due to them having lower levels of testosterone (on average)?
No difference in testosterone level between racial/ethnic groups.

Concerning Ethnic Differences of Testosterone in Men - Airlats

Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No difference in testosterone level between racial/ethnic groups.

Concerning Ethnic Differences of Testosterone in Men - Airlats
That's just a single study which explicitly says the Asian sample size was actually small. This study noted a difference, interestingly finding lower free testosterone in adult Asian men versus other groups (but interestingly not in Asian children, suggesting changes around puberty)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26510959

There are other studies too which show something similar. So any categorical pronouncement that there is no difference is way over-stating it.

Although "Asians" is a very big group it does come down to genetics. Asians, especially east Asians, are less hirsute than some other racial groups. Its at the hair follicle level that this is occurring. Other differences include decreased prevalence of adult expressed lactase, and also in some groups (mainly east Asian peoples again) lower apocrine gland expression (which ultimately means less BO!). I remember being asked by a Filipina once why white men were so stinky.....

Of course, for the scientifically challenged on the board, it has to be stated clearly that these are population characteristics. So you might know any individual Asian guy with a full on Viking beard. But so what.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,174 times
There are a lot of Asian guys who grow facial hair. And by the way it looks quite qood! But it must combine with their hairstyle.https://thehairstyledaily.com/45-the...an-hairstyles/

Old 02-12-2019, 06:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,603,907 times
check out Hindu's, they have plenty of hair on their faces and they are "Asian".

Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM

587 posts, read 423,957 times
Haha.

I'm Asian (Chinese-American) gay male and have NEVER SHAVED my face, I'm early 30s. NO JOKE. Hair that grows over my lip and under my chin- I've only ever used a buzzer or scissors. but, NEVER shaved on my face. Face is completely smooth on the sides (cheeks have never been even had a trimmer). So even if I wanted to grow out facial hair (I don't)..I CAN'T!

I also have no arm or chest hair..leg hair very little naturally but I shave those (I'm gay) as that is my personal preference to have completely smooth legs.

I have relatives though, that are hairier. So it's not even just genetics.

I have seen other hairier East Asians though- mostly Japanese, some Chinese (usually Northern Chinese), and Indonesians.

As a gay male, I consider hairy guys a turn on, though.

Last edited by krosser100; 02-14-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM

880 posts, read 532,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Haha.

I'm Asian (Chinese-American) gay male and have NEVER SHAVED my face, I'm early 30s. NO JOKE. Hair that grows over my lip and under my chin- I've only ever used a trimmer or scissors. but, NEVER shaved on my face. Face is completely smooth on the sides (cheeks have never been even had a trimmer). So even if I wanted to grow out facial hair (I don't)..I CAN'T!

I also have no arm or chest hair..leg hair very little naturally but I shave those (I'm gay) as that is my personal preference to have completely smooth legs.

I have relatives though, that are hairier. So it's not even just genetics.

I have seen other hairier East Asians though- mostly Japanese, some Chinese (usually Northern Chinese), and Indonesians.

As a gay male, I consider hairy guys a turn on, though.
I agree. Chinese female here, the majority of my sisters and i don't grow arm or leg hair, my brother has a beard, hairy chest, legs and arms, a couple of my sisters are normal hairy.
I have to say the majority of Asian men aren't hairy...you should see the Ali Wong netflix special...the ones that are seem to be a bit of an anomaly.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
I noticed Asian people have no beards and hair on their face? what might the reason be?
I'm an Asian male.

I think it has to do with climatology.

Since Asians mostly originate from tropical climates, they don't need as much hair for warmth and protection.

I dunno, just some BS.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that a lot of black guys also do not have a lot of facial hair.

The most they get is a fuzz but no beard.
LOL, that's not true AT ALL. Google James Harden, Rick Ross, Teddy Pendergrass, Marvin Gaye, and the list goes on and on. Especially since big, thick beards are more popular with black men now more than ever, it seems. I just think that for a while, full beards just weren't that popular among young black men, like they are nowadays, which is COMPLETELY different from the average black guy just being able to get "fuzz but no beard."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty