Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 11:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Python is a leather like alligator or crocodile not a print. It is usually a very expensive leather.

Not all animal prints are tacky, Jersey Shore-ish.

Velvets like Scalamandre's Le Tigre are classics.
Python is also colorful, which makes it "flashier" in my eyes. A bit more flashy than leopard. Mostly because it is unusual and not as common. But I think easier to wear.

Animal prints feel like a logical evolution of my general wardrobe theme of preppy with an edge (classic shapes, weird details).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I have a t-shirt with a big picture of a Siberian (dog) on it, grinning at the world. I didn't buy it and I don't wear it except around the house. My Siberian thinks it is his brother though and nuzzles up to it (and me) once in a while.

I have a few coats that still have real fur trim on them - forgive me, I am old (much older than Peg Bundy).

I don't hate 'animal prints' but I have just never seen any that would suit me. And the shoes I wear are very practical - not the kind that come in flamboyant designs. I no longer own any high heeled shoes, and I never go anywhere any more that would 'require' me to wear them.
My mom has a fur coat (she is a tad older than the actress that played Peggy Bundy). She has tried to gift it to my sister and I but between our casual lifestyles, mild temps ans public opinion of fur I don't think either of us chase a use for it. Frankly I don't think she did either. I only recall mom wearing it once or twice in childhood.

My new python trim shoes are super practical flats. . Which made it easy to justify. No special ocassion needed for flats. And they add some dressiness to a casual outfit without going too far!

Old 11-12-2016, 11:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
I love it for the right accessories.

Ostrich shoes and wallet.

Snakeskin belt and purse.

Tortoise shell glasses.

Also really like alligator.

I could pass on all the cat prints though.... which unless very well done with the right size/color/style can quickly fall into the tacky area.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:39 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,858 times
I have a thin black velour jacket, hip lenth, that has a fab leopard-print collar.

I have a leopard print filmy scarf, but I don't wear it. I tied it on the decorative wooden giraffe that stands by our back door - his neck has a deep gash in it, so he's wearing it.

I found some zebra-print slipperettes the other morning. I'm not sure what they are called, they are like slippers but reach past the ankles.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:39 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I am starting to realize some of my favorite clothing have animal prints. And I don't know about you, this is hard to reconcile as I have grown up hearing tha animal print is tacky. Think Peggy Bundy.

It all started a few years ago. I saw a pair of peep toe kitten heels by Cole Haan in a beige Python leather for cheap at Nordstrom rack. I got them because they were Cole Haan. The heel was my fave kind. And I wanted light colored summer shoes. I wore them for dressy ocassions. Now I they are hiding in my closet because I haven't had the right ocassion to wear them.

Then I got a snake print dress. In turquoise. If you don't look closely it just looks abstract. My sister copied me and got it in bright pink. It was a hit every time I wore it.

Then came the leopard shoes. I even managed to wear these with patterns.

Next I got a greyscale leopard short sleeved t-shirt dress. I wear it all the time. I love black and white prints. It works for work and a casual Saturday. Then I got a black and white Python work dress. And this fall I got another greyscale leopard t-shirt dress that is long sleeved and darker in tone. It is also in the regular rotation.

And a few weeks ago I splurged on a pair of booties/oxfords (they are somewhere between) that are 2/3 black with a block of black/cream snake print. I couldn't resist because they looked so cool. They make me want to wear solid colors. I've worn them with leggings and a solid top. And this week I did pair them with jeans and a cream shirt with a black pattern. . Still thinking of other outfits.

Are you an animal print fan? How do you wear your animals?
I think in small doses, mixed with clothes that are not overtly sexy or outrageous, that they can look good.

For example, add a pair of leopard pumps to a little black dress.

You're Python Cole Haan shoes sound adorable, btw.

ETA - I am addressing cloth "animal prints" - NOT FUR!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
I have a black dressy t-shirt that is cheetah print with black rhinestones only on the left side. I wear it with a black Maxie skirt or dressy jeans with boots.If it's colder a long sleeve flowy sweater and black biker leather coat.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:09 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Diana Vreeland was THE fashion icon of the 20th century. She was an editor of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue and prior to her death was consultant to the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute. When she died Richard Avedon said, "She was and remains the only genius fashion editor." With many other pillars of the fashion world he appeared in a documentary about Vreeland's life called The Eye Needs to Travel, a famous Vreeland dictum.

Another famous Vreeland statement was, "I never saw leopard print I didn't like." In fact she had a room in her Manhattan apartment done up in custom-designed leopard print wall-to-wall carpeting. A lot of people think wall-to-wall carpeting is tacky, too. I guess everything depends on who wears it, how they wear it, and the quality of the item.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are you an animal print fan? How do you wear your animals?
I am not fond of animal print and I avoid it. I feel like you have to have a certain personality for animal print which I don't have.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I am not fond of animal print and I avoid it. I feel like you have to have a certain personality for animal print which I don't have.
What kind of personality do you need?

Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
What kind of personality do you need?
I think you need to like attention to wear animal prints and be bold and outgoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty