Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times

Advertisements

I like a professional, slightly longer than male nails look, but not the weird curl under your hand look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 06:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Because you asked . . .

I know that women don't do everything they do to appeal to men, and I would never claim that women should do a lot to their appearance to appeal to men,

But, as I said, you asked.

I think there are a lot of fashion/beauty things that women do that most men either don't care about, don't notice, or are actively turned off by. I would put excessively long fingernails (someone else said a half inch or so, and I'd probably go with that), plucked eyebrows, dyed hair, and most makeup in that category.

Do it if you want, but it's probably not attracting men.
Best answer! IMO!

Old 11-16-2016, 06:32 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

I have acrylics now because the ridges on my nails were so deep that the nail was splitting vertically no matter how short I filed them. I think about the germ factor also and use a nail brush with soap under the nails frequently throughout the day.
You have a health issue. Seriously, go see a derm ASAP. Putting Acrylics on top of this will only make your health problem worse. And change your manicurist, she should of told you to go to a DR and not put acrylics on top of your nails. SMH She could lose her license.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Now that I know there's a few men on here, let me ask:

Do you find long painted nails attractive? As in, "I really like her and her nails add to that attractiveness factor".

Or do nails not matter as long as they are clean, not bitten, etc.

Maybe you don't even notice them?

There has never been an instance I can think of that a woman's nails have been an attractiveness factor. I have on occasion seen women whom, based upon their overall ensemble of dress and projected persona, then noticed their nails as some sort of complement to their overall 'look' but never have I thought, "wow those nails are so enticing". If anything, long nails on a woman may - if really long - be a turnoff in perception of a woman (aversion to work, attention seeker, fetish queen, etc..) whether warranted or not.

Most of the time I don't notice them. I have - upon observing a woman I found attractive - wondered sometimes how she may use them to please me.

Only time I might focus on them is when playfully getting to know a woman and playing 'patty fingers' to determine her touch (erotic zones and how she reciprocates: back scratch - rubs, massage etc..) and whether the nails may be dangerous or if she's the type where the claws come out when in the throes of coitus. A nice back raking is a delight - but scarring from nail daggers is painful.

IMO, this is the longest a woman's nails should be.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
I first saw long pointed nailed last year at an adult Halloween party. Not I am seeing then when it is NOT Halloween.

NO. JUST NO.

I like moderately long manicured nails with natural or red nail polish. I don't like ones that flare out at the ends and are completely square. I also don't like long tapered ovals like my mother wore in the 60s.

I don't like fake diamonds, snow men, shamrocks, palm trees, or 80s looking graphic art. All look trashy to me. So do talon like nails.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
I watched an episode of "Worst Cooks in America" the other day and one contestant had long "vampire" nails. That was nauseating. I would never eat anything touched by those long dirty nails.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
As a former nail biter....I admire long nails on lady. Polished and manicured. (and Yes I'm a lady. )

Barbra Streisand has beautiful hands and she has long nails. Like most things...its how well you tend to them.

My nails are nearing the two inch mark and not one gentleman has been anything less then complimentary.
Ladies often compliment likewise. My nails are well kept thank you very much. ...
I earned the right to grow them ...and paint them ...or not

Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 AM

792 posts, read 496,946 times
The only time I notice a woman's nails is when they are very abnormal and my next thought is always "she could have spent that time more wisely with a walk around the block".

Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
You have a health issue. Seriously, go see a derm ASAP. Putting Acrylics on top of this will only make your health problem worse. And change your manicurist, she should of told you to go to a DR and not put acrylics on top of your nails. SMH She could lose her license.

I have looked this up and apparently it is a heredity thing and happens as you get older to some people. My mom has the same problem. I thought when it first started happening it was a vitamin/mineral deficiency. But thank you for your concern. :-)

As for the manicurist telling me I should see a doctor that made me laugh; it's one of the Vietnamese places (are there any other kind?) that charges $18 for a simple acrylic fill. They don't ever turn people away. My sister said she has seen people with thick, yellow toenails that are so gross the nail tech had to use a drill to file them down. That's why I do my own pedicures; while all the implements are sterilized between clients, I have yet to see the drills sterilized.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
There has never been an instance I can think of that a woman's nails have been an attractiveness factor. I have on occasion seen women whom, based upon their overall ensemble of dress and projected persona, then noticed their nails as some sort of complement to their overall 'look' but never have I thought, "wow those nails are so enticing". If anything, long nails on a woman may - if really long - be a turnoff in perception of a woman (aversion to work, attention seeker, fetish queen, etc..) whether warranted or not.

Most of the time I don't notice them. I have - upon observing a woman I found attractive - wondered sometimes how she may use them to please me.

Only time I might focus on them is when playfully getting to know a woman and playing 'patty fingers' to determine her touch (erotic zones and how she reciprocates: back scratch - rubs, massage etc..) and whether the nails may be dangerous or if she's the type where the claws come out when in the throes of coitus. A nice back raking is a delight - but scarring from nail daggers is painful.

IMO, this is the longest a woman's nails should be.

Best answer so far--1st sentence. This is what I GUESSED about men's opinions towards nails.
Of course, everyone does what they want but I have never bothered with it, though I'm probably in the minority. Manicures seem like a waste of time and money for me. I keep mine clean and let them grow until it interferes with typing. Nails don't interest me except for scratching or picking something up which is when I wonder---how would one DO this without nails?

What I find psychologically interesting is all the women not taking care of themselves otherwise, yet sport manicured painted nails. Do they think the latter offsets the former?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty