Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times

Advertisements

My eyelashes don't have much "curl" to them - they are rather straight. Mascara lifts them up just a little but I would like a little more curl to them. Anyone have any advice on eyelash curlers? And also, how to use them and make the curl last throughout the day? Thanks! (note, I'm not open to changing my mascara....I use a particular brand that is more non-toxic than most).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:13 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I just use a Covergirl or Maybeline curler. I heat up the rubber pad part with a blow dryer....seems to make my eyelashes curl better. But be CAREFUL not to burn your eyelids. Test the curler on your arm before you place it on your eyelid. As far as making the curl last throughout the day, I'd just say don't put on a lot of mascara. I'm guessing that might wear your lashes down.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:36 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
So my local newspaper did an article about eyelash curlers a while back. The 2 that tied for #1 were a really expensive one at Sephora, and a $1.97 at Walmart one, called LaCrosse.

I bought the LaCrosse and I love it, I've never had better curl (and it's so cheap!).

One trick is to curl your lashes before you apply mascara, and again after you apply mascara.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 PM

110 posts, read 608,997 times
I have used eyelash curlers all my life...wouldn't apply make-up without using one. I put on foundation, curl my lashes, apply eye make-up, blusher, and lipstick - in that order. If you want more of a 'wide open eye' look, you can use your curler again after the mascara has had a chance to dry. But be careful...if the mascara is thick, it can stick and pull some lashes out.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonner View Post
I have used eyelash curlers all my life...wouldn't apply make-up without using one. I put on foundation, curl my lashes, apply eye make-up, blusher, and lipstick - in that order. If you want more of a 'wide open eye' look, you can use your curler again after the mascara has had a chance to dry. But be careful...if the mascara is thick, it can stick and pull some lashes out.
Do you curl your lashes before you put on your shadow? So, in other words you curl your lashes before you put on ANY eye make up...then put mascara on after you put your shadow and liner on? (I don't use liner on my upper lids) I'm "older" and think that it looks more natural/better if I don't use liner on the uppers, plus you can see my lashes better.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
I like the Sonia Kashuk eyelash curler from Target. It costs $10 which is more than Maybelline but I have not been able to get the drugstore brand curlers to work that well. Today I bought a cheap NYC New York Color curler for $3; it might have worked for me a few years ago, I can't remember. Bought it because my SK curler was starting to bite the dust and I don't have one of those rubber replacement thingies. I've used a lot of different mascaras; I usually go for the thickening type. I've used L'oreal Voluminous, Maybelline Volume Express, Rimmel Extra Super Lash, Max Factor 2000 Calorie and Almay One Coat. The last two are the ones I repurchase most. A lot of thickening mascaras are gooey and hard to apply. I think Almay One Coat may be one of the better choices for day.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:41 PM

110 posts, read 608,997 times
Yes, I curl my lashes first, otherwise it would mess up the shadow. Then I do shadow, liner (if I use liner) and then mascara last.

Last edited by shonner; 02-29-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 AM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonner View Post
Yes, I curl my lashes first, otherwise it would mess up the shadow. Then I do shadow, liner (if I use liner) and then mascara last.
I put my shadow and liner on before I do the first curl, they don't get messed up.

Also, the Feb Cosmo has the heat the eyelash curler technique highlighted. It's a good tip!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
I put my shadow and liner on before I do the first curl, they don't get messed up.

Also, the Feb Cosmo has the heat the eyelash curler technique highlighted. It's a good tip!
I do it this way too. I'm more likely to mess up the shadow with the mascara than the curler.

If you have long lashes too, you can curl them twice, in two different places. I curl mine at the base and sometimes the ends stick straight up. I haven't tried curling them in the middle...maybe I should...

Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I use an eyelash curler but I have never noticed the brand; until now! I have very long lashes but like them to curl up a bit more than they do. I get a new curler every year and with the info here I think it's time to go ahead and change out again. I appreciate y'alls posts. When I lived in San Antonio I would have my eyelashes permed but I have yet to find a good place here in east TN that can do that service.

I have very long lower lashes as well and I have to be careful that the mascara on them doesn't transfer onto my undereye area. Too many times I have looked like someone has drawn black dots underneath my eye. Any suggestions for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty