Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I really like this man.

https://www.facebook.com/newshour/vi...c_ref=NEWSFEED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I also read recently that he said he'd like to see an all plus-size season of Project Runway. YES PLEASE!!!

And real plus size, please. Ashley Nell Tipton plus size. Not the world where size 10-12 is considered plus size.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
If the fashion ideal is a size 0, then of course, there will be little left for those of us who are more normal. And the truth is, plus size women are the norm now. Especially when plus size also means size 12 and up.

Women are taller and bigger in general now, and I think the high fashion industry has not kept up with this.

I also agree that what is available for larger sizes is ugly. And there are fewer brands for people buying 14+ to choose from.

I also agree that there are shorter plus size women, and plus size petites should be more widely available.

If Macy's had made its plus size departments with the same enthusiasm as it did its misses and junior departments, it might have done better financially. As it is, in my town at least, Macy's has half a$$ed the plus size department; it is jammed into a tight area and the clothes are packed in so you can't see them properly. And they don't carry many upscale brands. And, why can't I find either a 14+ or a size women's 18? These sizes practically don't exist. If you are too small for !X and too large for misses' 16, there is very little out there.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Great message! Fashion is for everyone. A good designer should be able to design different things that work well for different body sizes.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default Stylish plus size 12 lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If the fashion ideal is a size 0, then of course, there will be little left for those of us who are more normal. And the truth is, plus size women are the norm now. Especially when plus size also means size 12 and up.

Women are taller and bigger in general now, and I think the high fashion industry has not kept up with this.

I also agree that what is available for larger sizes is ugly. And there are fewer brands for people buying 14+ to choose from.

I also agree that there are shorter plus size women, and plus size petites should be more widely available.

If Macy's had made its plus size departments with the same enthusiasm as it did its misses and junior departments, it might have done better financially. As it is, in my town at least, Macy's has half a$$ed the plus size department; it is jammed into a tight area and the clothes are packed in so you can't see them properly. And they don't carry many upscale brands. And, why can't I find either a 14+ or a size women's 18? These sizes practically don't exist. If you are too small for !X and too large for misses' 16, there is very little out there.
More stylish choices are out there. If you are past a size 12 an dress well... you just usually work harder to maintain that appearance. If you don't live in a major city I would advise shopping online. A lot of department stores carry hideous fashion choices for anyone who needs something past a size 12.

Different body sizes all have their issues when shopping. I was talking with 2 straight men from work and laughing because men seem to have the same issues. One guy was shorter, but thicker built and the other was a lot taller and a thicker built and both had complaints about the sizes available out there for men like them too.

For me having a larger chest and full butt has always made it challenging to find clothes that fix well ex hug the curves vs being too baggy or being too tight. There are certain types of clothes I can almost never wear ex any tops that are button down cotton that don't have stretch ... in no time those buttons will be coming up done and I will be flashing .

Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was talking with 2 straight men from work and laughing because men seem to have the same issues. .
Good Lord! What does sexual orientation have to do with this topic?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And, why can't I find either a 14+ or a size women's 18? These sizes practically don't exist. If you are too small for !X and too large for misses' 16, there is very little out there.
Try plus size specialty stores such as August Max. They may not be stellar quality, but they do carry stylish work wear separates in the smaller plus sizes.

Also, Talbots does pretty well stocking plus sizes if you want a classic look.

For trendy pieces (although it skews to the 16-30 age group), Torrid has some stuff, but the fit is all over the place, so if you can try it on in the store, it's helpful, b/c mail order can make an inexpensive piece pricey if you have to ship it back & forth to get the right size.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Try plus size specialty stores such as August Max.

Hasn't August Max been out of business for the better part of a decade or more?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I havent seen one. I try to find stores which have petite, misses and plus all in one place. Talbots is one. There is an expensive brand, Eileen Fisher, that has nice classic clothes in all sizes, but you have to get them on sale.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Sorry. I mis-remembered. I meant The Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty