Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Give us some clothes that accentuates our female shape a little without making us look like we're ready to hit the clubs.
Yes yes yes! Why is it so hard to find clothes that are office appropriate but not frumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Woman here. A lot of stores just don't carry a lot of the styles I like where I currently live. I'm from Chicago. I currently live in Texas and I lived Atlanta previously. The stores in Atlanta and Dallas just don't carry the stylish clothes that suit my personal tastes. I could go to the same stores in Chicago and the clothing looks completely different. Much more stylish and fashionable-looking. I can say that I notice a considerable difference between cities. I do like Dillard's better than Macy's, mostly for shoes. I also think Dillard's looks better than Macy's and therefore makes for a better shopping experience. A lot of things are also of poor quality now too. Everything these days is made of cheap materials.

With that being said, I try to department store shop but I very rare find clothes that I like, except when I'm in Chicago. I've talked to other women who say the same. When I lived in Atlanta, I used to work with a woman who went to New York City twice a year to buy all of her and her daughter's clothes. Apparently she knew the areas there where to get clothes at great prices. She was always impeccably dressed. I used work with another woman in Atlanta who was also always impeccably dressed. She said the same thing: she bought all of her clothes out of town.

I once met someone who works in retail who told me that the style of clothes that are stocked depends on the city/market. The next time you travel and go to certain major cities, go to the department stores and see if you don't notice a difference in the clothing stock. I know I do. If you are not finding things you like in department stores where you are, it could very well be the market you live in.

Boy that would be fun! Take a trip to NYC twice a year to buy clothes. I know the rich & famous do it. Wouldn't it be nice if us average people could do so also. When I lived on Long Island the clothing was a much better quality. I don't know if it is because that was in the late 70's to mid 80's or if the clothing was just better.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
1. Better quality in the clothing without having to spend $100 on a blouse

2. More Made in America clothing

3. Free alterations or at least at a reasonable price IN the store so I don't have to make a separate trip to another place - it's done for men all the time

4. Less polyester, thin, see through tops

5. A better selection of petite clothing that isn't only geared for older people

6. More salespeople who aren't on commission so you know they are really trying to help, not just sell as much as they can regardless of whether it looks good on you or not.

7. Less boxy looking tops. My last shopping trip to Chico's I was looking at some cute tops on the mannequins but when I tried them on they looked like I was wearing a cardboard box. When I went to look at the mannequin better, I noticed they had the top & sweater clipped in the back so the mannequin looked like she had a waist. I guess I could belt it but I'm not much of a belt person. Give us some clothes that accentuates our female shape a little without making us look like we're ready to hit the clubs.

I looked at a pretty blouse at Chico's in the fall; off white with a V neck with ruffles. When I tried it on I realized it was polyester and so thin you could see every freckle on my shoulder. And they had the nerve to want $100 for it. Do I have to shop at Saks or Neiman Marcus to get a good quality article of clothing that isn't going to have buttons falling off within a month and that requires me to wear a camisole under everything? It's not just Chico's either with the high prices and low quality. It's just about every store that the average (not rich) woman goes into.

I used to love to go clothes shopping. These days when I go shopping I rarely see anything I love. I hate the skinny pants look which is everywhere and the cheap looking tops. I have an hourglass figure and look better and taller with a bootcut pant. Good luck finding them anywhere. The fashion people have decided skinny pants are IN and everything else is OUT regardless of how a woman might look in the current fashion trend.

Okay I'm done with my rant. :-)
I have to disagree with #6. Ive worked in commission-based retail in the past, and it is of no benefit to sell a customer something that is unflattering or ill-fitting, because once the customer returns the item, the salesperson loses the commission. I worked on a leather-goods boutique, and one goals that was impressed on us was to build relationships with customers and earn their business, so they'd come back and see that salesperson the next they need something.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:58 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is why I shop at Nordstrom and Neimans. Organized, very helpful staff, and great clothes.

The less expensive department stores are understaffed, clothing everywhere and they don't have enough stock available.

Ha, correct. Nordstrom associates most of the time, gives me the service I like even in the juniors section.

Last edited by Prosze; 02-28-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
You'd think they'd install flattering lighting in NICE dressing rooms. Those harsh fluorescents make you look so awful you want to forget buying....

The only decent experience I've had in years is Dillards. Wonderful service and easy sizes, well-organized.

I agree nice, clean dressing rooms with good lighting would be great.

Some Dillards I get good service others not so much.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:07 AM

I also agree about unorganized racks of clothes. I don't want to dig through racks of clothing to find something I like. If I felt like doing that I would go to Marshall's, Ross, etc.

Even if it is a sales/clearance rack I expect some organization.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Boy that would be fun! Take a trip to NYC twice a year to buy clothes. I know the rich & famous do it. Wouldn't it be nice if us average people could do so also. When I lived on Long Island the clothing was a much better quality. I don't know if it is because that was in the late 70's to mid 80's or if the clothing was just better.
Clothing from that era was made a lot better than now. You should read the High Cost of Cheap Fashion gives a good overview on why all clothes suck today.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Many are closing and I have heard women say they prefer shopping online or even if they go they don't have the kinds of clothes they want etc. etc. What do you think dept stores should do in regards to stay relevant and be able to serve/attract the customer better?
Start by hiring some salespeople. Most stores I go to, there is nobody around to ask questions or directions. The store is huge and it's hard to find what I'm looking for. And I'm not going to use the self check-out station unless you offer a 10% discount for me doing the work myself.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:26 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I wear size 2/extra small! It is VERY VERY VERY hard finding my size in stores. However, there are times when you go to specialty stores and for some odd reason you will see extra small clothes super reduced on the clearance racks. So this weekend I went to our local outlets to search the back of the stores, and got a pair of black dress pants for $4 in size 2 petite from Van Hussen, I bought a pink sweater from Ann Taylor for $5 in extra small, I bought all these pajamas that were normally $60 a set for only $12 from Jockey, a Tommy Hilfiger sweater for $12 in extra small, Under Armour XS yoga pants with reflective strips for running for $10 each, a North Face fleece for $20, a dress from Black/White Market in XS for only $10, etc. It was funny I walked into one store, waved, went right to the back and a clerk said "Wow, you are determined, you obviously know this store" - why yes, I do, and I know how to shop retail very well, thank you! I guess I was this short tiny blur running by...

Old 02-28-2017, 02:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
get clothing that you can wear and love and live in and not the baggy saggy pulled on knits we all have to wear now.

What baggy, saggy, pulled on knits are we all wearing?

I see stylish people all the time.

I love the clothes I buy and wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty