Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Because once again I wasn't clear enough when creating a thread, I want to note that I mean men who do fashion modeling. Not for example, men who only do fitness modeling. I think people probably can tell from the location of the thread and the fashion focus in post #1, but just in case....
Reading through the replies I dont think anyone thought you meant "fitness models" as to me its obvious you are referring to "fashion models".

I dont know where you got your question "Is being intellectual a rarity among models?" from. One I know is a very highly rated (near master level) chess player. He's also a (USC grad) engineer for a very large video game company. Another is maybe not as smart who is a writer/producer who is also studying for his Series 7 Securities license as he wants to be a financial advisor if his other plans dont work out. Both are current runway models who by all accounts, look like they get their clothes from Old Navy or a kiosk at the beach. They like MMA, video games, smoking weed and hanging friends like most everyone else their age.

When I was younger, I was offered modeling gigs (happens in LA). I tried it, but didnt like it. Plus, had a very very jealous girlfriend who wasnt into me flying from LA to NY with a bunch of women. Looking back now, I should have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
You two with the model co-workers don't happen to work in the fashion industry or at least creative industries, do you? I guess it makes sense that those models are part-timers, as it generally doesn't pay well.
I work in tech so not remotely related to fashion. My model colleague is in sales for our company.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Yes, my husband is a male model.

He shops for clothes where everyone else does.

Because of his age, he does mostly pharma ads along with hotel, resort and cruise ship.

He was also on this past seasons episode of Ballers.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I knew a few when I was modeling & my 2nd oldest son did some modeling also (mostly while in college). For the most part they are just your typical "dudes".

Now; thats for fashion/print & some runway. When you start to lean towards swim/calander & "male review" is where you might see some more "alternative" type of guys as well as lifestyles. I dated one of those once; he was so bad (good) he could have been a professional "pool boy" until at least his mid-30's.

Haven't seen him for almost 10 years; have no idea what happened to him. My 2nd oldest son still gets some offers for some shoots. He's 28 now & is a Basketball coach, bartender & single dad to my 7 year old grand daughter, owns his own home, etc ... pretty "normal" as far as I can tell.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, my husband is a male model.

He shops for clothes where everyone else does.

Because of his age, he does mostly pharma ads along with hotel, resort and cruise ship.

He was also on this past seasons episode of Ballers.
Cool. Is modeling his main job?

"Because of his age" (middle age?), I guess he wouldn't be very into casual fashion anyway and wouldn't have the extreme shape common among young models.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Cool. Is modeling his main job?

"Because of his age" (middle age?), I guess he wouldn't be very into casual fashion anyway and wouldn't have the extreme shape common among young models.
No, he is a restaurateur. Yes, he is in excellent shape for someone of any age. Yes, is is very into fashion, we just bought him a suit at Armani the other day.

He's very cut.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 AM

I have free time to unleash some mental firepower.

I didn't say I think male models are dumb - Zoolander is just a movie - and actually I believe that the successful ones almost have to be moderately intelligent. Furthermore, IQ actually correlates slightly with physical attractiveness. But nobody has posted anything that counters my belief that intellectualism is uncommon among male models and why I've never met a male model online discussing deep topics. Maybe intellectualism is less common among them than among reasonably intelligent people in general. Because there might be a moderate antipathy toward fashion among intellectual males, such that even the good ones would almost have to be bribed to do that kind of work. And also because particularly good-looking men rarely are outcasts and therefore have busy social lives, not much time to engage in mental enrichment, and little reason to reside in often gloomy parts of the Internet.

Edit: I found an interview in which David Gandy admits he's no natural social butterfly and addresses the Zoolander/dumb-male-model stereotype.
http://grittypretty.com/fragrance/be...k-david-gandy/
But not even Gandy (who writes a newspaper column) is particularly intellectual, in my opinion.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-16-2017 at 01:38 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 09:20 AM

4,563 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
IQ actually correlates slightly with physical attractiveness. But nobody has posted anything that counters my belief that intellectualism is uncommon among male models and why I've never met a male model online discussing deep topics. Maybe intellectualism is less common among them than among reasonably intelligent people in general.
And thus the true reason you started this thread is revealed.

Thread should probably be removed from the "Fashion" forum into some other forum.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 PM

I know what should be removed from this thread. Anti-intellectualism I sense, plus I have no tolerance for mischaracterizations of me or my threads. Moderators decide what goes where, and intellectualism vis a vis physical attractiveness isn't far from the beauty part of "Fashion and Beauty."

I had three musings in mind when I made the thread. One I think I'm almost sure on now, with the additional points that particularly attractive (face and body) men don't need to woo with their minds and probably can get away with not using style to enhance their looks and that ironically being built like a model hinders development of fashion interest because it makes shopping harder. (I guess that's a reason designers like putting catwalk models in black and capes and deliberately oversized items - downplays fit, so they don't have to make items that fit them well.) I'd still like to know whether male fashion models typically care more about fashion than regular guys and, oh please, if they know any special clothing sources for their non-model tall, slim, v-shaped brethren (I spent one of the past 24 hours searching online for something to fit me). But that's pushing it - I'm lucky that multiple members responded to say they personally know male models.
Spoiler
I'd also like to know whether many male models are gay, but that discussion genuinely doesn't belong here.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Update: after trying on a new shirt and remembering past experiences, I think I know what is the safest clothing source for anyone built much like a male fashion model. A brand with a strong denim history that carries jeans in long sizes and other types of clothing. The jeans should at least be long enough and the shirts probably will fit. Levi's and Calvin Klein, to name two. Not exciting clothing on the whole, but every brand carries a few interesting items. I don't know if that also applies to expensive jeans+ makers like Armani (or whoever makes a long inseam). I'm not going to camp outside a Levi's store to watch for actual models. If I had to guess, male fit models mostly get paid to help with jeans.

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-19-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty