Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Don't waste your money on pricey soap. I have invested in stock of companies who make it and sell it. I have made a lot of money on people who buy it.

Truth is, the outer layer of your skin is dead / continually dying, replaced by new skin growing in below. What you put into you, is far more important than what you put on your skin. Pay attention to your diet, esp getting enough protein. Get plenty of exercise, drink little or no alcohol, quit smoking, if you do. Keep caffeine consumption to a minimum. If you are serious about the health of that new layer of skin growing in, that's the way to improve your appearance.

Heck, if you do all that, you won't even need to wash it, with anything!
I actually hear this a lot. I would ask people with really nice skin what they wash their face with and a lot of them say "just water". Never understood how that worked! I have tried "just water" but my face was way too oily. I wonder if it takes a while to adjust? I do use makeup though, so "just water" wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My face was broken out until I reached 30. Then it cleared up only because I started using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5-6 times a day. I've been doing that for 41 years and my face has been clear and soft and lovely ever since. (And, yes, I posted about rubbing alcohol on this site a few years ago and was accused of lying about the condition of my skin, so I posted a photo proving my claim.)
Wow, I have never heard that one before. I do find it a hard to believe. And isn't it excessive to do it 4-5-6 times a day?? I would think it would be incredibly drying...

Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Wow, I have never heard that one before. I do find it a hard to believe. And isn't it excessive to do it 4-5-6 times a day?? I would think it would be incredibly drying...

I have oily skin so, no, it's not drying at all to clean my face with rubbing alcohol that many times. In fact, I love the clean, oil-free feeling that I have when I've just used rubbing alcohol on my face and neck.

I'm 71 years old now and I thought my skin would have dried out a bit by now but it hasnt. Of course, the benefit to having oily skin is that I dont have any wrinkles, even at my age.

And I'll tell you something else you may not believe. To exfoliate, I use Scotch-brand package sealing tape. I've been using it for 30+ years and have been buying it in bulk on eBay for the past 15+ years. It works wonderfully to remove dead skin cells and keep my skin looking fresh and young.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I have oily skin so, no, it's not drying at all to clean my face with rubbing alcohol that many times. In fact, I love the clean, oil-free feeling that I have when I've just used rubbing alcohol on my face and neck.

I'm 71 years old now and I thought my skin would have dried out a bit by now but it hasnt. Of course, the benefit to having oily skin is that I dont have any wrinkles, even at my age.

And I'll tell you something else you may not believe. To exfoliate, I use Scotch-brand package sealing tape. I've been using it for 30+ years and have been buying it in bulk on eBay for the past 15+ years. It works wonderfully to remove dead skin cells and keep my skin looking fresh and young.
WTF. What do you brush your teeth with? Toothpicks? How did you even come across these findings? You just decided to stick tape and wipe alcohol on your face one day?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
WTF. What do you brush your teeth with? Toothpicks? How did you even come across these findings? You just decided to stick tape and wipe alcohol on your face one day?
I guess if it works, it works, but I'm imagining the reaction of any dermatologist to that skincare regimen.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:

How tacky. You can disagree without being disagreeable.

I've shared my rubbing alcohol regime on this forum in the past and those who have tried it have thanked me. I've also shared it with family members who have then used it with great success.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I guess if it works, it works, but I'm imagining the reaction of any dermatologist to that skincare regimen.

Yes, dermatologists dont sell rubbing alcohol so they wouldnt like its use.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
For cleansers, I definitely recommend checking out Mizon and/or TonyMoly. I generally switch between my Mizon foaming cleanser and my TonyMoly Lemon or Banana foaming cleansers. Seriously, the banana cleanser literally smells like a banana milkshake.

But yeah, a good and gentle cleanser will make a TON of difference. They clean out the pores without drying or damaging skin. And then a gentle toner? Gooooood stuff. I have a basic routine for on-the-go and then a full routine for when I have time. (Mizon, TonyMoly, Hada Labo, and CosRx are my go-to brands for my face routine)

Old 04-05-2017, 04:48 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
There are so many suggestions here. I agree that some derms just want to sell you overpriced garbage that does nothing for you. Diet may help, (I agree that proper hydration helps a lot) oral prescription creams and antibiotics may help, and for those really hard core acne sufferers, Accutane may be something to consider. But only do that as a last resort, because it has a lot of bad side effects.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
My face was broken out until I reached 30. Then it cleared up only because I started using plain ole rubbing alcohol 4-5-6 times a day. I've been doing that for 41 years and my face has been clear and soft and lovely ever since. (And, yes, I posted about rubbing alcohol on this site a few years ago and was accused of lying about the condition of my skin, so I posted a photo proving my claim.)
If I used alcohol on my face, it would be a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty