Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,896,473 times

Advertisements

In thousands of hours on forums and other online communities, I've never run into a male model who was then participating. With female models, at least once. I'm sure female models are more common and I know enough about them anyway (there are even documentaries about them) - this is about how little I (we?) know about male models. I've never talked a male model in person either, by the way (I have seen some suspected models at the gym and ex-model Ashton Kutcher elsewhere).

Is being intellectual a rarity among models? (That would explain why they're not in the online communities I like.) Do men who model have much interest in fashion? Someone like Gandy does, but for example Jeremy Meeks maybe not.
Spoiler
And he makes me angry.
Where do they shop for clothing? Very successful ones probably shop (or are shopped for) at high-end places and are given free clothing, but most models male or female don't earn big money. And I - with similar proportions - could use a few affordable fashion retailers with clothes that don't need alterations.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-15-2017 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Thread title edited for clarification at OP's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:44 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
Many models are very intelligent. It's also a nice way to earn a living while you go to school. And models usually age well because they have to take great care of their moneymaker!!! Plus they get a lot of freebies like skincare products.

No, you don't have to be interested in fashion but it wouldn't hurt. Really all you have to do is put on the clothes they want you to wear. The male model I know dresses just like anyone else when he is not working. Maybe even a bit grubbier.

If you want to do this, it's not easy and the competition is fierce. You can start by working out... A LOT. And working on things like posture and teeth/dental work. Many male models eat paleo to stay lean and muscular. Then you start working on compiling a portfolio. And it can't be all done in a day. You want different looks and styles to prove you can be versatile and adapt to what the client wants. Stubble VS clean shaven, casual, formal, athletic wear. Don't forget hand/feet/tasteful underwear shots. There are people who make a living just doing feet or hands. Hire the best photographers you can afford. Once you have a really good portfolio you start shopping it around the agencies. The agency will then help you get a better one!

I know a man and a woman who supported themselves modeling for D&G in Rome. They had a blast and went on to do some TV and commercial work too. The woman had connections because her father was really famous but the guy didn't. If you have connections, use them!

Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,437,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Anyone here know a real male model?
I know a couple of male runway models. Thing is, they are just like almost every other dude in the late teens to early twenties. They arent frequenting fashion forums or anything like that. They are drinking beer, and hanging out on Call Of Duty and/or Steam games forums.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I know a couple of male runway models. Thing is, they are just like almost every other dude in the late teens to early twenties. They arent frequenting fashion forums or anything like that. They are drinking beer, and hanging out on Call Of Duty and/or Steam games forums.
Yeah, not surprised by that. The hetero male models do better with women than most men, though.

And, if the aspiring-modeling thing was aimed at me, no, not my goal, too late, though if someone asked me to do it for a special occasion, I probably would. Not at all likely, since I'm not striking in the face and out of the usual age range.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 PM

I feel a little dumb, because I forgot about someone I have a long, long connection to. He modeled for a few years early in the century, not sure what but not very successfully. He's better-looking than me. I could get in touch with him if I wanted to, but he's kind of a bro and I've never wanted much to do with him. I think he's heavier and staid now, so even where he gets his clothes might not be helpful.

By the way, I just found a mildly interesting article about older male models, though it doesn't really answer my questions.
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...er-male-models

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-14-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
One of my coworkers is apparently a part time model for a big retailer in the U.K. Some of my colleagues shop the online store and recognized him. Lol.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 PM

He does photo shoots in the USA for a foreign retailer?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
He does photo shoots in the USA for a foreign retailer?
He lives in the U.K. Which is why I haven the been able to find out more. Our teams don't really overlap.

I am so curious!

*While he is adorable, he is probably 15 years younger than I am. I am just nosy.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 AM

You two with the model co-workers don't happen to work in the fashion industry or at least creative industries, do you? I guess it makes sense that those models are part-timers, as it generally doesn't pay well.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 AM

Because once again I wasn't clear enough when creating a thread, I want to note that I mean men who do fashion modeling. Not for example, men who only do fitness modeling. I think people probably can tell from the location of the thread and the fashion focus in post #1, but just in case....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty