Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

I did a search but I didn't really find out what I wanted to know.

I have really coarse chin and jaw hairs, plus a hairy lip. Almost any wax works on my lip! But even the lady at the salon couldn't get a lot of my chin hairs with the wax and resulted to using tweezers. Ouch! I had to stop her after about 12 or so.

Question: if you have really coarse hair, what do you use, besides shaving?

A little background: this is genetic! The women in my family have gotten this problem. Most had successful laser treatments, but that's not in my budget right now. They have also passed, so I can't ask them.

Also: I do not have a medical condition. This is normal for my family. I'm now in my late 50s and the problem got a lot worse after menopause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I hate to even talk about it, because facial hair is such a curse, but we need to stick together.

I use wax strips on my upper lip, but just shave my chin every other day. I never shave the upper lip, because of tell tale stubble. Nothing else really works on course chin hair. I think my biggest fear of getting old is that I won't stay on top of the chin hair thing.

If my hair was dark, I'd get laser hair removal, but I hear it doesn't work on light hair, so I'm stuck.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I generally tweeze problem hairs, but5 I also use this stuff: https://www.sallyhansen.com/hair-rem...ce-lip-wax-kit

Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 AM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
I use tweezers on my chin.

Yes, it is genetic. I joke that I've got Sasquatch genes or something. I'm a brunette, sue me.

The pain of the tweezing, I think I've become desensitized. Got used to it. It isn't bad anymore. I made the mistake of trying to tweezer the upper lip fuzz (which is finer, but there's a bit more of it...the chin is more just odd hairs I want gone)...man, that upper lip HURTS. I need to do something else. But those hairs are not as offensive to me, being much finer and not as dark, I haven't gotten around to fixing that situation.

I've considered lasering. I'd be a good candidate with my pale skin and dark hairs. But I've heard it's expensive and I cannot afford $$$ for such things...

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,417 times
I've had laser hair removal in some areas, get professionally waxed for other areas, and use an epilator for the rest.

Except those chin hairs. Use whatever method you like to open the pores, then quickly tweeze them out by the roots. It's the only reliable chin hair removal method I've found.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
I've rep'ed all of you. I appreciate your comments. I'll look for that version of Sally Hanson.

Yikes! Open pores and tweeze. Ouch!

Yes, I'll keep looking at lasor. I not at all vain but I'm not a guy, either. I don't want chin hair.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I forgot to add one thing. Always keep some tweezers in your car. The outside lighting is so much better, you can always find some offenders in the sunshine.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:26 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I forgot to add one thing. Always keep some tweezers in your car. The outside lighting is so much better, you can always find some offenders in the sunshine.
It is crazy how that happens, isn't it? You look in the car mirror to check your teeth and notice the giant goat hair in the middle of your chin. How long has that been there?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I use a Bellabe. It's a coiled wire that acts like a threader. The first time it's awful... but you're grabbing and pulling ALL the hairs at once. I use mine every other day, and it takes seconds. The fact that I'm pulling out a few at a time, rather than all of them at once really reduces the pain factor. and doing it every couple of days also means it takes seconds rather than minutes, in your own home.

https://www.amazon.com/Bellabe-Remov.../dp/B001RPL902

I use it, my sisters use it... highly recommend!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Also keep Stridex pads in your car for this. If I don't do a quick wipe down with Stridex before and after I tweeze, I run the risk of breakouts. I've finally gotten on top of my adult acne on the rest of my face, but hair removal has made my chin a disaster! But yes, the sunlight is the best for this sort of thing. Sometimes I go to a remote corner of a parking lot and pluck pluck pluck! You feel it less over time - it doesn't hurt at all for me anymore.

My chin hair is hormonal, but also to some level hereditary. At 29, I have more dark facial hair than any of my older relatives, but also have more hair on my head. Checks and balances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty