Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times

Advertisements

The system says I can't rep anyone for 24 hours, so if you've posted recently, I'll get to you, soon.

Re: making homemade deodorant -- my objections right now are twofold: 1) I don't have easy access to things like arrowroot, tea tree oil (etc) and 2) I need to find things that work ASAP. More on that in a minute.

I'm not against homemade stuff at all! I used to make shampoo bars, cleaners, and face cream, but I also lived in an area where I could quickly get the raw ingredients in one easy shopping trip.

UPDATE: I chatted with several ladies in my circle. Today, we're going to buy 4 different types of solid natural deodorant (Whole Foods will be one source) and split it up (probably cut it with a razor blade and repack in foil -- The logistics are still under discussion). WH has Schmidt's and that is one everyone wants to try. I will post the names of the products and our results in a few days.

* We will not be testing Tom's -- that is one of the brands that hasn't worked for us.

* We will not be testing the "crystal" -- that was another product that either didn't work or quit after a few hours.

The main goal is odor control. Two of the ladies would like to control wetness better, as well, but we discussed the limits of herbs. The overall goal is to reduce potential cancer-causing chemicals on our skin but still be socially acceptable at work (especially when working outside in a booth!)

Two of us are bikers and past hikers. We know about "hiker funk," but that's just not acceptable on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times
Forgot to add that it's best to apply this homemade deodorant on clean and dry skin. I wouldn't put something else on your underarms before using this homemade deodorant, not even water. It seems to dilute the effect of the deodorant. The antibacterial needs to have direct contact with your skin, which is where the bacteria live. We want to "zap" the bacteria first, and that will keep us odor-free.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Forgot to add that it's best to apply this homemade deodorant on clean and dry skin.
That's a good point with any deodorant. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM

228 posts, read 264,412 times
Funkless Deodorant is my favorite, especially the lavendar vanilla and the honeysuckle. I used to buy it on Etsy but it's on Amazon now as well. https://www.amazon.com/Funkless-Natu...ural+Deodorant

Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Schmidt's Lavender and Sage. It smells so gooood.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I use this Arm & Hammer product, although I usually get the unscented. Arm & Hammer Multi-Brand - ARM & HAMMER Essentialsâ„¢ Solid Deodorant, Fresh

I'm not sure how "natural" it is, but it's not an antiperspirant, which I like. As an added bonus, your clothes don't get pit stains. In fact, it was my daughter who started using it to avoid pit stains in her clothes and then turned me on to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The system says I can't rep anyone for 24 hours, so if you've posted recently, I'll get to you, soon.

Re: making homemade deodorant -- my objections right now are twofold: 1) I don't have easy access to things like arrowroot, tea tree oil (etc) and 2) I need to find things that work ASAP. More on that in a minute.
Arrowroot should be fairly easy to find! It is usually next to the cornstarch in the grocery store (it serves as similar thickening function in cooking, generally used more in the Caribbean!) But I had got some for some recipes a while ago, and it is cheap!

Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM

227 posts, read 538,578 times
I've worn natural deodorants for several years, and here are my favorites (top to bottom):

1. Soapwalla Deodorant Cream (hands down my favorite, either in citrus or original. It's expensive at about $20 per jar, but lasts at least three months).

2. Oyin Handmade Funk Butter

3. Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant (if baking soda is a problem for you, this is a good alternative).

4. Crystal Essence Mineral Deodorant Spray (use mostly at night after shower)

5. Ora's Amazing Herbal Body Powder (blissful earth scent; use at night before bed or shower)

6. Honey Bee Gardens Deodorant Powder (at night)

I also use witch hazel or organic (mother) apple cider vinegar under my arms once a week or so to eliminate bacteria

Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I'm not sure what the users gender has to do with the discussion. We are fast approaching a genderless future in the real world but online I still see 'womancentric' and 'mancentric' discussions and... I don't know, besides the reproductive anatomy, how are men that much different from women? Still, the little last century (sexist) biology I know, says that a woman should actually get better results from natural (less effective) deodorant products than men do.

Tom's works for me. I tried the crystals when I used to manage a health food store that sold them. I don't know whether they work great or not, I don't like the feel of them. I have a very good female friend that likes the crystal deodorants very much. But if that was all I had to offer it wouldn't be all that useful since earlier posts have said as much. What I have not seen in this thread so far is an awareness that it is possible that a persons dietary habits have bearing on how much their sweat smells. If the o.p. is unable to control odor using Tom's the problem is not likely to be address using herbs or oils.

My main beef with Tom's is they address the aluminum problem but fall well short of a truly 'natural' solution. Works for me because my main issue is aluminum. For those who really need to go the extra wholistic mile and use coconut oils and/or herb concoctions you need to help those products out by adopting dietary and hygienic practices that help those products reduce odor. I am sure there are sources of dietary information specifically targeted at sweat odor minimization. And the earlier suggestion to refresh at midday is definitely on the right track. FWIW.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This was also from the article: try adding three drops of dish soap to a bowl of vinegar, and leave it uncovered. The soap cuts the surface tension of the vinegar so the flies will sink and drown.
Ahah!

My bottles of vinegar thus far had not managed to trap anything---I will add the soap to see if that helps!

Question---do you fill the bottle up to the top, or just some in the bottom? I have 3 bottles---one its filled to 3/4, the other has just the bottom inch, the other is filled 3/4 with about 1/4/ vinegar and the rest water. The organic vinegar is a tad expensive and I wanted to see if its necessary to fill the bottles, just a small amount, or if diluting it would be as effective. Hey, an idea for a kids' science fair experiment! Thank goodness those dasys are behind us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty