Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:24 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times

Advertisements

I'm glad Jade started this thread because I also try to buy clothing sustainably made by people who are paid decently, which rules out most of the products made in Asia. I have a top and a dress from Amour Vert, both in a flattering, clingy knit so definitely not shapeless. I've also gotten a clingy knit dress in a bright print from Karen Kane (made in USA but maybe they don't worry about sustainability in selecting dyes).

You're right about most of the colors; when I saw the Amour Vert catalogue it seemed to have a lot of dull, unflattering colors and maybe that's because they're using dyes from natural sources. No problem with buying a few neutrals, though; I can combine them with other, more colorful things in my wardrobe. One of my other "responsible" clothing practices is to buy classic styles and wear them till they fall apart. It means that I rarely buy clothes and I have a closet full of things I can wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
<spits out coffee> Probably drives a Subaru Forester also. Big Grin

Nah, they're probably driving Priuses (Prii?) they were sold on the impression that they're "saving the Earth", unaware of how much natgas/uranium/coal/whatever is being burned to generate the power used to charge it.

I was once on another board where one user (a mechanic) mentioned this bit. About once a month he'd get a Prius being towed to the garage because it broke down. About 90% of the time he'd find the gas gauge on "E". Typical customer reply: "but it's an hybrid, it's not supposed to need gas." Brilliant.

I have a neighbor who lives in bland clothing like the OP was after, drives a Pen^H^H^HPrius, is a food-priest vegan and is seriously one of the most boring people you'd ever want to meet.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:57 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
I don't "get" Everlane and completely agree their clothing is bland and shapeless. I'd rather shop at Uniqlo if I want boxy clothing, at least they have some interesting prints. Last time I was on Everlane's site I noticed all their shoes are pointy, no variation in toe shape. I think it's probably just what's "hipster" right now.

FWIW, I don't often buy new clothing, but what I have I wash delicate cycle with Woolite or some other delicate detergent. Anything with spandex or specific fabrics gets hung up to dry. It can be time-consuming, but my clothing lasts much longer now- just gotta make sure the husband doesn't touch the laundry.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Well I just found some “ethical” pants that look cute and at least have a slightly bigger size range. I ordered a pair.

A bit more interesting/practical than regular work pants.

https://lezethelabel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty