Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:18 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Believe it or not, we totally agree, it's just a difference in vocabulary. I don't find the word "fashionable" to be derogatory in any way or to mean one runs out to buy the newest fad. To me it means wearing clothing for the occasion/event that's not outdated, ridiculous & looks appropriate.

So, I wear workout gear when working out (not all day, everyday)... gowns to the theatre/ballet... jeans/shorts for backyard BBQs... suits to interviews... whatever outfit is expected for whatever job I have, etc.

Fashionable is not a bad word. I don't wear my hair in a Marie Antoinnette style... it's not appropriate, professional or fashionable. I often wear a ponytail or bun of some sort, messy or otherwise, but it all depends upon the occasion & what is appropriate.
I understand your perception. We're using different methods to evaluate fashionability.

Wearing clothes that are appropriate fulfils an expectation, but it doesn't always exceed it. The people in the room that do both are the people that are fashionable.

You could pretend that we both work at an organisation that expects employees to wear dark coloured suits. Everyone has fulfilled that expectation and no one looks inappropriate, but I'm the only man whose suit has been tailored.

Do all the men look fashionable within the organisation's context, or is it just me?

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 08-20-2017 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Believe it or not, we totally agree, it's just a difference in vocabulary. I don't find the word "fashionable" to be derogatory in any way or to mean one runs out to buy the newest fad. To me it means wearing clothing for the occasion/event that's not outdated, ridiculous & looks appropriate.

So, I wear workout gear when working out (not all day, everyday)... gowns to the theatre/ballet... jeans/shorts for backyard BBQs... suits to interviews... whatever outfit is expected for whatever job I have, etc.

Fashionable is not a bad word. I don't wear my hair in a Marie Antoinnette style... it's not appropriate, professional or fashionable. I often wear a ponytail or bun of some sort, messy or otherwise, but it all depends upon the occasion & what is appropriate.
I understand your perception. We're using different methods to evaluate fashionability.

Wearing clothes that are appropriate fulfils an expectation, but it doesn't always exceed it. The people in the room that do both are the people that are fashionable.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 08-20-2017 at 06:04 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Wearing clothes that are appropriate fulfils an expectation, but it doesn't always exceed it. The people in the room that do both are the people who are fashionable.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 08-20-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Wearing clothes that are appropriate fulfils an expectation, but it doesn't always exceed it. The people in the room who exceed expectations are the people who are fashionable.

Everyone in an organisation might be wearing an appropriate coloured suit, but not everyone will wear one that is tailored.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 08-20-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Wearing clothes that are appropriate fulfils an expectation, but it doesn't always exceed it. The people in the room who exceed expectations are the people who are fashionable.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:38 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
For the most part, I dress for myself. My style reflects me, and I don't make style choices based on what others think. But at the same time, I recognize that how people percieve the way I present myself may color what they think of me. First impressions and all. So I strive to put forth the best version of me that I can.
Yes 👍

Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,916 times
I dress for myself. I know what I like and look good in, and that may not always include the latest trends.

If it doesn't look good on me or is comfortable, I don't wear it. For example, I don't wear heels. They are not comfortable to me and I refuse to teeter around my office and the city in heels. I love flats. I can find very stylish, comfortable flats anywhere and incorporate them into my fashion style.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I dress appropriate to the circumstances. I'm an engineer. In a suburban office building, I dress business casual just like everybody else. Summer is golf shirt, khakis, and classic brown leather Top Siders. In an urban office tower, I dress more city with a long sleeve Oxford, dark slacks, and more formal shoes. Same thing for restaurants. I'm not going to wear shorts and a golf shirt to an expensive restaurant even though most are OK with it these days.

I think that dressing a standard deviation outside of the bell curve for where you are is trying to make some kind of statement. I typically stay around the median.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I guess I dress for myself. I work in a small office with two other people, one is my niece, the other is a middle aged married man. We get no foot traffic at all other than the UPS or Fed-Ex guy. The other two people wear shorts most of the time and my niece even wears cut-offs sometimes. I just can't do that, it's not in my nature to dress like that to go to work, perhaps because I'm a former New Yorker who used to wear suits & heels everyday.

While I don't "dress up", I wear business casual wear to work, my hair is styled and I have on a touch of make-up. I just feel more professional if I'm not dressed like I was going to the beach or gym.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times
For the vast majority of the time, I dress for myself. I'm about to turn 22, but I still dress like I'm 16 with a wardrobe that usually consists of a band t-shirt, skinny jeans, and my skateboard shoes. Actually, I couldn't wear skinny jeans as a teen since I was more than 100 pounds overweight. With that said, however, I'm also a senior in college who is majoring in finance, minoring in urban planning, and has people pulling me in the direction of Philadelphia city politics. When I'm out networking with potential connections, I make sure that I am properly suited up and dressed to impress.

When I'm taking a girl out on a date, I dress for myself with the exception of wearing a lot of cologne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty