Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think I have 8. Most are designer and the other two are custom made. I have one Coach, one Treesje, the two custom made ones, and four Botkier brand purses. I buy all the designer purses lightly used or new on eBay. I have gotten a fabulous deal on them: between $25-$80 on all of them save the Coach which I bought new. Oddly, the Coach is the one which is torn up; all the others are still in fine shape. Does anyone know where I can go to get it repaired? The seams are ripping and it is the usual heavy leather. The custom bags were made for me with a specific purpose in mind. all my bags have lasted me for years, and all but one are leather (the other is nylon).

I mostly carry satchels. I hate those pit purses like hobos and such, where the bag is one deep vertical hole and you can't find anything. Satchels are shallow and wide and allow me to find what I need. I don't wear makeup so I don't need to carry a lot of things. I get the bag itch a couple of times a year and buy another one, and usually I will sell one I haven't used for a long while to keep from accumulating too many.
Nieman Marcus Last Call always has Botkier on sale......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:54 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
I can't put my cell phone in my pockets (nor would I want to). I would never put my keys in my pockets either. You sound like a wristlet type of gal. What did you do for carrying necessities before wristlets became so popular?

I don't own any wristlets though I do have some small crossbody bags with compartments for quick on the go runs.
Quote:
Here's what I need to carry around in my purse:

My reading glasses
My cellular phone
Tissues
Little pill bottle for my meds
Sun glasses (as appropriate)
Umbrella (where applicable)
Keys (I like handbags that have key keepers)
My wallet
Water bottle (sometimes)
Hand cream (always, always)
Sometimes a lippy
The only sticking point I have these days are the damn reading glasses. I can go back to a multifocal contact if need be. I've only been using the readers regularly since last summer.

So if I need my sunglasses AND readers to run into a store, one of them gets tucked into my waistband or shirt, the other on my head.

Chapstick - pocket or tucked into a bra. If I'm just running into a store, no need for chapstick (and I'm an addict). I hate shopping so I'm never in long.

Car key in pocket - only need one that opens a door (old car)

Phone in pocket

Money or card in pocket. Running into store - wallet in hand.

If I'm walking around a fair or something I just wear shorts with more pockets. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt, I can tuck stuff into the front pocket.

I like to travel light.

I prefer a 4x3 or so wallet with a key ring, but my latest one is checkbook sized. I can't tell you how often I've forgotten one or the other because they're not attached!

Best thing these days is Apple Pay - I can leave my wallet in the car and just pop my phone in my pocket.

ps - you actually don't carry much in your purse! When I used to use one regularly, it just became a catch-all for junk. That's one of the reasons I stopped using it.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 08-27-2017 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
Quote:
Here's what I need to carry around in my purse:

My reading glasses
My cellular phone
Tissues
Little pill bottle for my meds
Sun glasses (as appropriate)
Umbrella (where applicable)
Keys (I like handbags that have key keepers)
My wallet
Water bottle (sometimes)
Hand cream (always, always)
Sometimes a lippy
All this fits in my Derek Alexander messenger bag. Lots of pockets with and without zippers. It takes time to remember where you put each item, but the eventual automatism is priceless. I prefer this to digging in the nethers of tote bags.

https://goo.gl/images/RYZ76F

Bought on sale, around $50.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
I can't put my cell phone in my pockets (nor would I want to). I would never put my keys in my pockets either. You sound like a wristlet type of gal. What did you do for carrying necessities before wristlets became so popular?

I don't own any wristlets though I do have some small crossbody bags with compartments for quick on the go runs.
I wear slacks, capris, etc., that have side pockets and that's were I keep my keys, cell phone, and cc/debit card. I don't have a smart phone, I have a flip phone which is much smaller and fits easily in my pocket.

Now, if I were traveling for quite a distance I'd take my purse as there may be other things I'd like to have with me. But for short excursions/running errands around town, I'm fine without a purse. Especially if I'm shopping for clothing because then a purse just gets in my way.

However, I'm glad you mentioned the wristlets, those are pretty handy clutches!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The only sticking point I have these days are the damn reading glasses. I can go back to a multifocal contact if need be. I've only been using the readers regularly since last summer.

So if I need my sunglasses AND readers to run into a store, one of them gets tucked into my waistband or shirt, the other on my head.

Chapstick - pocket or tucked into a bra. If I'm just running into a store, no need for chapstick (and I'm an addict). I hate shopping so I'm never in long.

Car key in pocket - only need one that opens a door (old car)

Phone in pocket

Money or card in pocket. Running into store - wallet in hand.

If I'm walking around a fair or something I just wear shorts with more pockets. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt, I can tuck stuff into the front pocket.

I like to travel light.

I prefer a 4x3 or so wallet with a key ring, but my latest one is checkbook sized. I can't tell you how often I've forgotten one or the other because they're not attached!

Best thing these days is Apple Pay - I can leave my wallet in the car and just pop my phone in my pocket.

ps - you actually don't carry much in your purse! When I used to use one regularly, it just became a catch-all for junk. That's one of the reasons I stopped using it.
Lucky for you. I am not accustomed to being without a purse. I thought about wristlets but they would never be enough. I don't do those Apple Pay and Samsung Pay things. I will do PayPal if I can and cash $$$. I'm not a power user with my smart phone. I keep personal stuff like banking off my phone. My children do all of that but not me, LOL.

Depending on where I am ~ I've even been known to carry my flats in a handbag. Just depends though. The only thing I have never done is just leave home without a wallet, phone, keys and glasses. I need the glasses so I can't get around that!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I wear slacks, capris, etc., that have side pockets and that's were I keep my keys, cell phone, and cc/debit card. I don't have a smart phone, I have a flip phone which is much smaller and fits easily in my pocket.

Now, if I were traveling for quite a distance I'd take my purse as there may be other things I'd like to have with me. But for short excursions/running errands around town, I'm fine without a purse. Especially if I'm shopping for clothing because then a purse just gets in my way.

However, I'm glad you mentioned the wristlets, those are pretty handy clutches!
My son's fiance is always with a wristlet. She will do a crossbody sometimes too. If we're all out together, I'm the one with a handbag....... Feel nekkkid w/o my handbag. I don't have enough clothing with a lot of pockets. Only time pockets are involved are when I'm in jeans. Otherwise, I'm a dress gal.

In the Fall and Winter months, slacks with pockets are a no go. Don't like pockets on my hips (boy do I not need that look, lol). Jackets/coats in the fall and winter will no doubt have pockets but I wear gloves; so the gloves come off and in the bag when I need to find something in my purse.....

Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
All this fits in my Derek Alexander messenger bag. Lots of pockets with and without zippers. It takes time to remember where you put each item, but the eventual automatism is priceless. I prefer this to digging in the nethers of tote bags.

https://goo.gl/images/RYZ76F

Bought on sale, around $50.
Hahahaha! I'm a sale shopper. Not paying full price for most things. Sometimes I have to though, for my bras. Other than that ~ no way Jose.......

Old 08-27-2017, 05:12 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,381 times
Handbags are my weakness. I am relocating in the city where I live. What was going to be a cosmetic update has turned into a full remodel. This requires a moratorium on any handbag purchases. Difficult but necessary.

My preferences are larger bags with structure. I never buy any with gold hardware. The only style I buy are satchels and occasionally totes. Mostly they are Botkier, Calvin Klein, Liebeskind Berlin and more recently, Aimee Kestenberg. During the summer I use only one bag. It is a long discontinued Sakroots "Peace" satchel.

Next week is Labor Day (finally, I hate summer), so I will return to changing bags pretty much daily. I have grouped them seasonally. First up is an AK Camden satchel in soft olive. Next is Jule from LB.

From keraT: "HOW DO YOU LADIES ENSURE YOU USE ALL YOUR PURSES?"

Basically, I carry three things: an organizer for my id, cc's, and cash; another organizer for cosmetics and hair care, and another organizer for miscellaneous stuff. So all I change are these three organizers. My phone and stylus are always with me so they are always last to add.

As MyGoldenLife said: "Shoes are another topic. Don't even get me started..."

Old 08-27-2017, 05:24 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,912,589 times
I feel like I love bags but I just can't find anyone I want to invest in for the past year or so.
I kind of like the blue and white LV check bags but I feel like everyone has them and they are kind of screaming label white to me. Idk

My collection is modest but well loved:

Light grey leather gold chain crossbody- kate spade

Mini red saffiano leather cross body - tory Burch

Giant mint tote safinano leather - kate spade

Black and beige mid sized tote - kate spade

A couple othe r kate spades and MK bags

Old 08-27-2017, 05:29 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Quote:
Hahahaha! I'm a sale shopper. Not paying full price for most things. Sometimes I have to though, for my bras. Other than that ~ no way Jose.......
I've got you beat! I'm a CONSIGNMENT shopper and I'm not into designer handbags AT ALL.

That being said I've fallen in love with nylon travel bags like Baggalini, Lesportsac, Kipling and the like. They're much lighter than leather/simulated leather and they come in really fun colors.

And I never pay full price but pick them up on consignment. I probably own 5 or 6--and I'm always tempted to pick up more when I see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty