Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM

76 posts, read 127,972 times

Advertisements

Confessions up front - I am spending way too much time on my nails. I stopped going to my manicurist early this year as I realized how much $40 every other week was costing me each year, so now I am doing my own manicures. I've always done my own pedicures. I am toying with buying a UV light and going to gel manicures. I am curious if anyone here has made the plunge themselves and have any lessons learned or recommendations. I'm mostly thinking about this because it takes forever for my nails to dry and gel seemed to be much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:30 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,502,841 times
My nail supplies are: olive oil,lemon juice,three nail files,cuticle pen,ridge filler,and a clear acrylic coat. For 22$. Now take some time to pull away from the hype products. Buy the items mentioned and btw...Icy water is the fast way to harden the nail polish. Google is your friend...And sometimes simplicity is all you need for healthy nail care..

Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
My nails were kinda brittle after the gel manicure. I save that for a special occasion maybe 1-2x a year. I would not want to subject them to so much damage.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,286,634 times
I love pedicures and will get several during spring and summer months. My toenails are always polished. I never let a manicurist do anything other than polish on my nails. The tools that they use are too aggressive for my natural nails. Most of the time I do my nails with a color last type polish. I re polish before any chips happen. I even take my own polish to the nail salon so I can fix any chips that happen.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,372,859 times
There are several fast drying topcoats out there. I use "Out the Door" so my nails dry quicker. I won't do gel nails as I don't like the nail polish remover having to soak on my fingertips for so long. I started getting acrylics last year because of the deep ridges on my fingernails. Cost me $25 every other week and that's with the tip.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,924,775 times
Omg I just stopped getting my nails done at the salon too becxause I was going every 2-3 weeks and spending 50-70 each time on gel manicures and regular pedicures. It helped me stop when I was treated with horrible service at my last salon.

I'm having trouble getting my manicures to look as flawless as before but I'm hoping with practice they will start looking better.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM

1,235 posts, read 734,951 times
I would never subject my nails to gel manicures. I've read about how much damage they can cause. I have decent nails (they break sometimes) because I don't cut them fast enough and let them grow. I don't have to use acrylics (luckily) so I wear my natural nails and no, no gel manis for me.

I polish my own nails as I find it relaxing. Good base coat, nail color and top coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty