Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:12 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
None of you ever go to parties with a theme? I don’t get it. This year I have been to parties with themes ranging from Roaring 20s and Prohibition, a tea party where everyone was supposed to wear dresses and 2 parties where you can dressed in your favorite decade.

I hate dressing up, but I can humor people with a theme. I happen to like pink and have plenty of pink but if it was a color I didn’t like I’d have no problem getting cheap jewelry or going to Target to buy a ribbon to tie on my wrist or whatever. Or you can get socks!

I think pink drinks and cocktails at the party would be pretty fun!
How would the color of the drinks have anything to do with fun? Don't they taste the same? Don't you drink it the same way you would drink a brown or clear drink? I don't see where the fun comes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 05:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd go! I think it sounds fun!
How does it sound fun? How does fun change if everyone wore pink instead of their regular clothes? Are the food and drinks better? Is the conversation different?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:56 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd go! I think it sounds fun!
I would too. I like different! It would be fun to see what guests come up with.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because of how obsessed he is over the color pink. That is something you would expect from a 15 year old girl, not a 30 year old man.
Not to mention the brand IZOD with SPECIFIC "collection colors" with SPECIFIC shades.

*theres much more at play here than "it's just a party!"

Again, the OP never answers...I believe, he's still living at home with his parents and his dad dislikes all this stuff.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I'm guessing he's on the spectrum--there's the shirt fixation, and the lack of humor when we joke with him about it.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:11 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Not to mention the brand IZOD with SPECIFIC "collection colors" with SPECIFIC shades.

*theres much more at play here than "it's just a party!"

Again, the OP never answers...I believe, he's still living at home with his parents and his dad dislikes all this stuff.
This ^^^^. This party is only happening in his imagination.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:52 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I haven't been to a theme party since I was 19 and in college.

But being asked to wear a dress, or dress in your favorite decade is much different then having to wear one specific color. Most women have a dress they can wear, and someone could just say now is their favorite decade and wear their normal clothes.
I do not think it is any different than wearing the team's colors when you go to a sporting event.

I don't think you need to go all out, but it is a fun challenge.

For example, for the 20s parties I went to, I had a lace dress in a 20s-ish shape, and found a peacock feather headband at Target for $5. And just wore long necklaces I have. My sister and I went to a thrift shop to find accessories and she got one of those flapper styled hats. We have gone to a 20s themed party once a year for the past 3. She has reused her hat. My headband died after 2 years, but it got enough use for me to justify the $5 expenditure.

One of the decade parties I just wore a plack pencil skirt, a bomber jacket. And I wore my "street sneakers."

I do not think you need to go crazy to match the theme.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:29 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I wonder if Truman Capote got so much grief when he had his black and white ball? Seriously, it's the guy's birthday party, it's supposed to be all about him. I hope he has friends that love him enough not to pitch a fit if he asks if they would wear his favorite color in honor of his birthday.
I can't help but wonder if much of this isn't because he's a guy and he likes (ok, he's obsessed with) pink and in spite of several people who seem to believe they are all for gender equality, deep down they find it somewhat unsettling.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think you need to go all out, but it is a fun challenge.
I think there must be two kinds of people: those who think costume/theme parties are a "fun challenge" and those who think they're an annoying hassle.

My birthday is right around Halloween, and I refuse to have it hijacked by costumes and pumpkins. Maybe that's why I dig my heels on theme events.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think there must be two kinds of people: those who think costume/theme parties are a "fun challenge" and those who think they're an annoying hassle.

My birthday is right around Halloween, and I refuse to have it hijacked by costumes and pumpkins. Maybe that's why I dig my heels on theme events.
I can imagine orange b-day gifts are annoying.

I am not super fan of costumes. But they are a legitimate thing where I live. And this means most people may age (late 30s are hosting them.). You adapt. My Halloween costumes are things like 80s, 90s, yoga instructor, and 80s hip hop backup dancer. Basically I just remix my normal clothes with silly accessories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty