Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:18 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

I think the answer is that some beautiful women happen to be slightly cross-eyed.
Some unattractive women are also cross-eyed.
I don't think it's something the average person considers a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:36 PM

698 posts, read 568,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
What? So people show pictures of women who are not cross eyed, and when someone posts a picture of actual cross eyed people those are dismissed. Only on CD.
Making circus menagerie characters out of cross-eyed people is not going to win you any style points. Or did you somehow think that those were tasteful images?

Old 11-12-2017, 02:44 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Why are people showing pictures of women who are not actually cross eyed?

Again, Norma Shearer *was* cross eyed, however via medical treatments, eye exercises, and learning how to compensate for her defect it was hardly noticed in pictures/films. This was all down to the will of the woman who wanted something to happen, and was determined it would regardless.

"If Norma Shearer was so beautiful, what could she have had to hide? Shearer's biggest physical flaw was the slight cast in one of her eyes. Technically it was not a lazy eye but it was ever so off center, enough to make her look cross-eyed. At one point she had surgery to correct this, but it never did fully go away. So what did she do? She dealt with it. If you watch Norma Shearer's films or see any of her photographs, she'd always tilted her head and face at an angle. It created a dramatic look, showcased her spectacular profile and hid her major flaw. It took years of practice and it wasn't until well into her talkie career in which her crossed eyes are completely unnoticeable. She learned an effective trick from photographer George Hurrell that if she looked towards directly in the camera's direction she had to look past it, as though she was looking beyond at something very far away. "

Silents and Talkies: Norma Shearer

Look closely at this picture of NS, you can see her right eye is slightly "off".
http://brightlightsfilm.com/norma-sh...-to-mgm-stock/

Karen Black and others all learned how to compensate for any physical weaknesses in front of cameras. That is just it isn't it? Had you saw any of these ladies first thing in the morning and or when they weren't "on", it would be a different story.

For most men anyway Karen Black's eyes weren't what they were looking at.....

Film Experience Blog: Thursday Triple: Cross Eyed Divas

Many, many, *MANY* actors have some sort of physical aliment or deformity that is some how compensated for and or covered up on stage, screen or pictures. Rowan Atkinson (of Black Adder fame) had or still has a very bad stammer. Kay Francis had a lisp, and so it goes...

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Unlike your pitiful examples, I am actually cross -eyed, and people who feel the way that you do **** me off.

I am also married, so thankfully my husband does not feel this way.

It truly is an awful way to live, and is not easily corrected. I can see the look of disgust on people's faces when they look at me. And then, they will look 'through' me as if I don't exist.

I wish I knew how to deal with it, other than thinking that people in general suck.
I am sorry for your difficulties. Please know that there are many more people than the OP who are not so shallow.

Whenever I read someone's criticizing other people's appearance, I alway wonder what they themselves look like. Far from gorgeous I'm sure.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Unlike your pitiful examples, I am actually cross -eyed, and people who feel the way that you do **** me off.

I am also married, so thankfully my husband does not feel this way.

It truly is an awful way to live, and is not easily corrected. I can see the look of disgust on people's faces when they look at me. And then, they will look 'through' me as if I don't exist.

I wish I knew how to deal with it, other than thinking that people in general suck.
Just to throw this in, my ex-wife had a very strong strabismus and other ocular challenges, and she couldn't have been more attractive to me any other way. If it was up to me she definitely would have never become my ex-wife.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:51 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
I find your comment hilarious,
Newsflash = Everybody has a different concept of beauty

Sorry that it is a problem for you
I'm never rude to people .... I'm just saying that I don't find it attractive

Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Can't figure that out either.

Everyone's eyes are set differently, some have deep set eyes, bedroom eyes, etc.

I will agree Jackie Kennedy had wide set eyes although she was usually very photogentic.

Have you ever seen actors in real life, many have big heads relative to body size, good on camera. George Clooney is a good example. Can't tell from a pic.

Have you ever had a picture taken that wasn't at the best angle and one of your eyes was to the inside of your nose? That is not cross eyed, its bad picture taking. That is what it looks like with a pic in the seocnd group as her eyes look normal in the other pics.
^That's how all my selfies turn out!

Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are cross-eyes women considered beautiful?

I started wondering about this when I saw Kristen Bell and seeing how obsessed some people seem to be with her.

and then I ran into a picture of another famous actress from back in the the day
Susan Dey, who is/was even more crossed eye

Are women cross-eyed women considered beautiful?
I ask, because for me is the opposite,
even though, this 2 women are pretty, the fact that they are crossed-eye makes them unattractive to me
I personally find women who are cross eyed to be beautiful. I see beauty in many different people.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I say they can be to some people. I assumed it was something most people just tolerated, rather than actually liked.

I'm a woman, and my eyes are all kinds of messed up. They both can't be straight at the same time. If I am focusing out of 1 eye, then the other will be turned in toward my nose. Not to mention they're also uneven on my face -where one is higher than the other. And my eyelids don't match either.

So I just keep them covered with tinted glasses if i'm out in public. lol I never leave the house w/o them.

Last edited by HappyRain; 11-13-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty