Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:51 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times

Advertisements

I miss when guys wore just one small hoop earring on one ear. I thought it looked sexy. But I've never been able to adapt to both ears being pierced. I think, for me, it crosses the line to looking less "manly".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:25 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
It's a personal choice as to whether or not you want to wear an earring or two. I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if you wear them in a more casual setting, not to the office. I had my left ear pierced in high school and wore an earring most days through college, when a girlfriend convinced me to get the right done, and I wore diamond studs, or small hoops. I hadn't worn them for several years, and was asked by another girlfriend if I'd ever consider wearing an earring, when I showed her pictures, and was then coerced into trying them on again, which I was able to do with a little effort. I have worn them a few times since, and have gotten positive responses. It was funny to run into someone who works for me who did a double-take, but didn't mention anything about them. It may depend upon where one lives, since where I live/work/play, they are not uncommon on men of all ages, so if you like them, wear them.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 4,085 times
Default Nothing strange about it

EArrings by men has began to increase over the last few years so there is really nothing out of place about it, however, there are however a lot of people who will still judge you based on your appearance which can include your earring.

There are certain gatherings where you will feel a silent resistance to your presence around, as long as you can live with that, then you are good to go.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:47 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
I originally created this as a thread. It got merged into a thread about a man wanting wear large earrings. I can see why given the overlap. But, I think this is a better thread given this is intended to be a discussion about professional men wearing low key earrings, not asking for opinions on big hoop earnings.

Earrings have long been popular on counter cultural or blue collar men.
The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about professional men starting to embrace small stud or hoop earrings.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mens-ea...ps-11640108583

Has anyone here noticed this trend in real life?

Old 01-01-2022, 08:57 AM

50 posts, read 30,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I originally created this as a thread. It got merged into a thread about a man wanting wear large earrings. I can see why given the overlap. But, I think this is a better thread given this is intended to be a discussion about professional men wearing low key earrings, not asking for opinions on big hoop earnings.

Earrings have long been popular on counter cultural or blue collar men.
The Wall Street Journal recently had an article about professional men starting to embrace small stud or hoop earrings.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/mens-ea...ps-11640108583

Has anyone here noticed this trend in real life?
It’s an interesting world these days. Reading the comments on the WSJ article, I conclude that among their readers, at least the ones who take time to comment, the “look” isn’t widely embraced, or even accepted.

In real life, in my area anyway, the trend isn’t widespread, but it’s also not unusual to see a small handful of men with ear decor any time I’m out for more than a quick errand or two. It’s mostly the younger crowd, but recently I noted two gents, retirement age like me, sporting a stud in one ear.

Full disclosure, I’m now 75 y/o, and if it were not for dear wife’s strong dislike of the practice, I’d go get one today. Most likely just one side.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:18 PM

Yeah, the comments in the article were fairly negative. I think partially due to the fact that WSJ has a more conservative audience and people are more likely to comment when they dislike something.

I also wonder if the negative reaction to men with earrings is partially driven by negative perceptions of who wears earrings. People that are trying to be a little bit outside the mainstream. Hippies, rebels, flashy types. For example, the article featured a picture of a guy with purple hair.

If more clean-cut, professional men start (or are already starting to) wearing low key stud earrings maybe views (or perception of negative views) on earring would change?

I know my views on guys with earrings have changed in the past couple years. I think it has to do with seeing more examples of otherwise low key guys wearing earrings.

I still don't really care for huge diamond studs or big dangle earrings. And I don't really care for tattoos or longer hair with which earrings are often associated. But, I have really grown to like the look of a understated earring. I can't really explain why. It adds a little pop to their appearance.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:39 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,745,602 times
I had one ear pierced back in the '80's and am getting both earlobes and a diath (captive bead on a ring inside the outer ear) done in two weeks. I can't believe how busy the piercer's are lately. Every local place is booked up full until spring and that's their busy season I'm told. All I want is a couple of gold studs. For now. I'd like the 1/2 carat size diamonds, big enough to get noticed but not ostentatious. I have a feeling I'd better buy a pair for my wife before I get a set for myself.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logjam View Post
In real life, in my area anyway, the trend isn’t widespread, but it’s also not unusual to see a small handful of men with ear decor any time I’m out for more than a quick errand or two. It’s mostly the younger crowd, but recently I noted two gents, retirement age like me, sporting a stud in one ear.

Full disclosure, I’m now 75 y/o, and if it were not for dear wife’s strong dislike of the practice, I’d go get one today. Most likely just one side.
I agree, I am 70 and might try one . I really would like a nipple ring but DW won't allow it. :-(

Old 01-07-2022, 01:45 PM

Today show has a segment recently about professional men wearing earrings. Apparently, joining the trend Today show anchor Craig Melvin has recently got his ear pierced.
https://www.today.com/style/style/cr...lone-rcna11210

Old 01-08-2022, 11:28 AM

50 posts, read 30,560 times
Hmmm... recently, the Wall Street Journal, followed by the Today show. Now all we need is a similar piece in Sports Illustrated and the entire spectrum of male interests is pretty much covered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty