Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer clean shaven or some scruff?
Clean Shaven 56 66.67%
Some Scruff 28 33.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

I am enjoying growing a long beard now that I do not have a wife that beaches about such things. I am not trying to impress anyone. My face, my rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,169 times
I agree with others in that the long, unkempt beards are just not attractive. And the unruly mustache hairs that flap around on a man's lips? Ugh. NO.

Stubble and the 5 o'clock shadow are sexy to me though....

Last edited by mlj1225; 09-23-2019 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 05:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I agree with others in that the long, unkempt beards are just not attractive. And the unruly mustache hairs that flap around on a man's lips? Ugh. NO.

Stubble and the 5 o'clock shadow is sexy to me though....
OMG, yes! Horrible, horrible. I thought I was the only woman who noticed those. Apparently not

Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OMG, yes! Horrible, horrible. I thought I was the only woman who noticed those. Apparently not
Not the only one. LOL!

I always wonder if it tickles their lips when they are talking. I think it would make my lips itch!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:12 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
I wear a beard, because I always hated to shave. When it gets about an inch long, I go to my barber and have it cut back to about half an inch.
When I retired and no longer had a reason to shave, I just quit doing it. I love the freedom of never having to attack my face with a "razor-sharp" blade. I love the freedom of never having to buy blades, cream, lotion, etc. No, I do not trim the edges with clippers or razor. I simply do not shave, at all, ever!
My wife puts up with my idiosyncrasy. If anybody else doesn't like my beard, it is THEIR problem, not mine.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
It really depends. I'm on the side of thinking many men look great with close, neat beards. Some men (my husband among them) look a lot better with some facial hair. Some men look a lot better smooth shaven. Several of the men I've dated (and one I married) grew facial hair because I thought they looked great that way. I also kept my hair longer for a long time because my husband loves longer hair. It's all good.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:19 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am enjoying growing a long beard now that I do not have a wife that beaches about such things. I am not trying to impress anyone. My face, my rules.
I wanted to grow a long beard at least once in my life so I did it. I’d walk out in the breezeway between my house and the garage and face the wind and that beard would blow straight back on either side of my face. It felt awesome.

I’m a tall guy and keep in shape and going out in public in southern cal I’d sometimes get strange looks. Like is this guy some mountain man? Didn’t bother me.

Only thing I didn’t like was when it got so long it ended up in my soup or sometimes caught up in a jacket zipper. I have a short beard now, clean cut maybe 1/2 an inch but I loved that long beard. Always kept it clean and trimmed.

Didn’t care what others thought. I dress for myself, not others, and the same went for my hair/beard. Got a great wife that just wants me to be happy and do what I want and I want the same for her.

Some guys try to grow beards and it just ends up looking like weeds. Some guys can grow great beards that look like they were molded. To each his own. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
I grew one about 3 years ago and still have it. Let it grow full and lower last winter, but i trimmed it up for the summer. I still like it. It kind of softens the turkey neck I have developed which isn't pretty. As I get older, I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. Since I smoke pipes, it kind of fits my image.

Last edited by hdwell; 09-23-2019 at 09:56 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Since thread got merged and guys are posting about their own beards, I will too.

2+ years ago I ran clean-shaven, smooth baby face, and even short clippered/fade hair. I feel this is a more "generic look", that makes you look younger, and has somewhat more "mass appeal" to a variety of women. And, you're only a week away from a solid 5 o clock stubble look to mix things up. I did not have good luck with this look, romantically.

However, then I went for a beard. Started with the 'chin strap' which requires a fair amount of maintenance to keep a sharp line. I find the moustache "tickle-ly / itchy" so for a while I went no-moustache with a short "chin curtain" until a girl I liked told me it looked "Amish". I let the full beard grow in, and the hair on the top of my head get wild and wavy. On my best days, I imagine I either look like King Leonidas in 300, or Frank Zane in his beard -era.

So nearly 2 years of growth later, I find it's a very "polarizing look". Girls who like it, like it alot. It does hide a weak or double chin, and it accentuates your jawline because you are literally underline your jawbone with a dark shadow. However, you honestly turn huge swaths of girls off and away, if you look anything like an old dirty biker or a drunken sea captain. Centuries of writers, professors, pirates, lumberjacks and wisemen would testify: stroking your beard does raise your IQ.

You have to get into 'beard oil / beard balm / beard-specific shampoo", specialized clippers with a variety of attachments, a steady hand to hold a comb and rasp away the cat-whiskers and curly mutton chop sideburns with the electric clippers. (some parts of your beard and individual hairs grow dramatically faster than others, but the itchy DOES go away after a certain time/length). My platonic + business relations simply say "it makes you look older to have a beard"

Last girl I met where the relationship progressed to the physical, she just giggled and punched me in the stomach and climbed ontop me saying "you look like a caveman with that hair and beard!" - but that's my point - I got a dramatic and emotional reaction out of my look - whereas the norm, is to be one of the silently ignored, non-descript average guys who can't even get anyone to swipe right on their online dating app profile, or care that they are single. Couple months into a relationship, I like to shave it all off, just to shock her - the same thing as a woman who dyes her hair to flip from blonde/redhead/brunette.

Although C-D is a PG-13 forum, I want to say certain activities that consenting adults do between the sheets are 1000% better with NO FACIAL HAIR. Some women are too ticklish, or DONT like the feeling.

There are SOME looks which dont match a round face or certain head shapes, and I think things like waxed curly moustache or the forked-devil-chin makes a hipster look like a villian who ties damsels to the train tracks. Or worse, a badge of celebacy. I offer these kinds of mens fashion websites to see what's trending:

https://www.thetrendspotter.net/guid...-beard-styles/

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/beard-styles/

Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
You think that three day beard makes you look like Don Johnson (does anyone know who he is, anymore?) but it really just makes you look like Yasser Arafat (does anyone know who he was, anymore?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty