Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 08:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times

Advertisements

I've noticed several threads where people mentioned not being able to get the right pants lengths or else having to have their pants hemmed to the right length by some tailor. I saw some shocked replies or dead crickets silence on a couple of occasions when it was suggested that a person could do one's own simple made to order hemming. It was almost as if some people have never heard of such a thing, or as if it was beneath them to consider it.

It got me wondering if hemming and small mending of clothing is becoming a lost art. Wondering if that kind of basic domestic skill is no longer taught to the younger generations by parents or in Home Ec courses in high school. Did you learn to do it and do you do any mending/hemming/button sewing/sock darning (etc.) yourself or is it more convenient to pay somebody else to do it for you? Or do you just not consider to buy an otherwise perfect fitting pair of pants or a skirt if it's a bit too long and not exactly the length you want? What about if you're providing and shopping for clothing for your kids? Do you mend their little rips and tears, hem their pants or skirts? What other reasons do people have for not doing mending?

This isn't a criticism, I'm just really curious and trying to understand about what's happening out there in our first world society with regard to whether or not people still do this domestic skill themselves. And what their reasons are for doing it or not doing it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,133 times
I've always done my own. Learned about 8 years old and have made my clothes ever since.

But the sewing arts are not taught as they once were. We started a "learn to sew" course at our library and already have a waiting list. The interest is out there, at least around here; they just need to be taught.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
I know how to hem a skirt, but I have no one to mark them for me. Pressing fabric and sewing it is OK for casual garments, but "better" clothing should be marked while you're wearing it. Though pants are a bit easier in that respect, dress and suit pants should be measured.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
Anything I have worth sewing or altering in any way is taken to a seamstress. If I were to do such, I would use Duct (Duck?) Tape. I don’t think I own a needle anymore. If a piece of clothing is clearly too long I don’t buy it. I sewed since I was a teen, making most of my clothes, but after many arduous projects just can’t abide the time and fine/detailed work it demands. I appreciate others who do sew; however.

I have given up ironing as well.

So happy.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Not good at it, don’t own a machine or know how to use one, happy to pay an expert and spend my free time doing/learning other things that do interest me. Luckily for me, the petite length pants are about right so I don’t have to have everything hemmed.

I hand sew buttons and minor tears. I also choose clothes that don’t require ironing. Life is short.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
i bought a $25 singer from garage sale, took a free class on how to use it and hem my own pants, takes 5 minutes per pants

not rhe best looking, and threads are different color because i only have one bobbin, but im happy with results

Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
I do my own but I do hate buying something new that has to be altered right off the bat.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:42 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,428 times
I do my own hemming (seldom) and mending (more often). I have a sewing machine, and own plenty of needles and thread. I'm in my 60s and remember when this sort of thing was taught in public school.

Still, it's not exactly rocket science to pick up a needle and thread to do a bit of hemming or mending; there's probably YouTube videos to show you how.

I've seen people looking for someone to do hemming for them on local Facebook groups. In the time it would take to find someone, drive to them to have the work done, go back to pick it up, etc., you could have simply stayed home and done it yourself.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
I do my own, and have done hemming for friends as well.

Thanks Mrs. Lovely ! (8th grade home ec teacher)

Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I was taught sewing in home ec back in the 80's, so I know how to sew, but choose not to do anything beyond sewing on buttons. All pants I buy have to be altered (waist and hem), and I can't accurately mark and pin them myself while I'm wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty