Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,152,423 times

Advertisements

This entire topic has been great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 07:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,655,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Can’t believe you just wrote this as I was scrolling down to write the same! Whenever I go up north to Santa Fe I take my cocker and of course I have him groomed for the trip. At the end of the day after a bout on the plaza, he is black from feet to belly. It is the soot from vehicles. I have started a list of groomers for the next visits. Back to the topic, I immediately knew what that poster meant about sandals. I wouldn’t wear them for walking around town, only if I was taxi driven. Ick.

Husband thought it might be from the Pinon being burned...but we were the the first week of May....

I highly recommend Z Pet Spa 1196 Harrison Road off Cerrillios....they will groom and board while you are out and about. Folks there are the best!

Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,152,423 times
I don’t think so. I lived in Santa Fe about 8 months a few years ago. I didn’t get any whiff of Piñon being burned, except incense.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,362,278 times
Long pink pants are quite difficult to find, but if you look into preppy brands, you can find some pink oxford shorts. I bought a pair of pink oxford shorts this spring.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Okay I'm going to NYC in the fall, but similar weather... maybe... Note i'm a man, for following advice:

How is this outfit? I tend to dress cowboy. Black Dan Post dress boots, black jeans, black Levi long sleeve (or short sleeve) shirt. I have a really heavy fleece-lined black hoodie, and a lighter black hoodie... Should I leave my black Stetson fedora home?

Also I have every color of jeans known to man and dog. And I can leave the dress boots home and take my riding boots instead, dark brown, and if you stomp my foot I can stomp you back and hurt you bad!

Or should I just go the baseball cap route?

Please don't make fun of me. As far as I know NYC is the surface of Mars.

As far as foot traffic, I know that NYC has downtown LA beat by 1000x. I'm used to DTLA... but... I know enough just thinking about NYC that I totally get, you are on a human freeway. Pull off to the side if you want to gawk.

Does cell GPS work in all those tall buildings?

I have wanted to add a leather coat to my wardrobe. Looks like a good time and occasion. I was already thinking brown or black... Advice? (I wish I had klmrocks to shop for me but she and I live on opposite corners of North America.)

I can't mess this up. I'm going there with GF to meet her daughter who lives there. If I am not prepared I might as well just kiss GF goodbye at LAX and find a new GF.

Oh by the way, street etiquette, when approached by lamerz can I just tell them to F off? Or is there some standard method to make it clear to them in about 3 nanoseconds that you are not buying their sh.... ?
Just ignore people who try to sell you stuff. Don't say anything to them. That's the best approach. Pretend they don't exist.

LOL, yes, GPS works in tall buildings, but you won't be in many tall buildings because most of them are office buildings and security isn't going to let you in. Of course, there's Top of the Rock, the Empire State Building, and One WTC, which will let you up if you pay!

I'll meet you and your gf for lunch.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Why not? I'll just take a trip up to my master closet...

dark blue
bleached blue
tan
dark brown
black
medium blue
dark blue
black again
medium blue
slightly darker blue
black again
medium light blue

That's my full inventory of jeans. Hmmm... A dozen pairs of jeans, some of them not even hemmed yet.

I wear jeans a lot. I don't work any more so nix the dress slacks.

You know if you buy one pair of jeans and wear them every day they last maybe 6 months? If you buy 12 pairs and alternate use they would last 6 years.

It doesn't cost any more to own a bunch of jeans (or any clothing), you just have a bigger selection. You have greater opportunities to color coordinate.

Can you wear blue jeans in NYC
?
LMAO, lots of people wear jeans every day in New York.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,362,278 times
The thing about New York is that typical spring styles are less popular there; fall fashion generally tends to dominate with the local clientele. Here in Arizona it is typically the opposite; more people generally buy spring clothes than fall clothes (JCPenney hardly carried the fall collection of my favorite brand last year locally).

Old 06-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This thread is so rich. Thank you to all who have provided so much info . . . I envy some of you petite elders - so much easier to look chic when you are tiny.

I will savor each response and check out the links.

I do have a question about those "scammers" - some people warned against looking touristy to avoid them - do they attack you (someone said something about an alley - do they drag you into allies?). Do you have to take special precautions with those purses that cross over your body to avoid pick-pocketers? Are there pick-pockets? The n'er do wells in my neck of the woods mostly mind their own business. How big of a problem is this?
I am the one who said something about an alley. I was being somewhat facetious, but more at referring to someone asking you to go somewhere with them. No, scammers won't drag you into alleys.

Yes, there are pickpockets, but again, be aware of your surroundings. Watch for someone trying to distract you while someone else takes your purse/wallet. I remember a guy I worked with was walking down the street and someone said, "Hey man, you have ketchup on your pants! I've got napkins, let me get that off." He looked at his pants leg and sure enough, there was ketchup on him, and while the "nice guy" was blotting off the ketchup, his friend took my friend's wallet out of his pocket. Of course, they'd passed by and squeezed a packet of ketchup on him in the first place.

Place like Times Square, which is a horrible place that New Yorkers avoid like the plague, will tend to have more pickpockets and whatnot.

Another thing to watch for are the ubiquitous seemingly nice young white kids sitting on the sidewalk, often with a dog as a prop, and a sad cardboard sign about how they just need <random amount of money> for a new sleeping bag/bus ticket home/meal. If you give them money, it will buy them heroin.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:19 PM

32,961 posts, read 36,439,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I found it interesting that most of the people in NYC even wear black underwear.
You've checked?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, you're not going to be scammed unless you are extremely naive. Most tourists are not idiots these days or so gullible. Just use common sense as you would anywhere where you visit.

These days, most people who live in NYC were probably originally from somewhere else. It's just that if you go to designated tourist areas, then you might be approached a lot, offers for tickets, bus tours, etc. They are not necessarily a scam, just can be annoying. Usually it's near the Times Square Theater District, Grand Central and Penn Stations, near the ferry for the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, and so on. In that case, it really doesn't matter what you wear because there will be lots of people from all over the world wearing whatever they like.

Use common sense. I will warn you that the people dressed up in costumes in the Time Square Area are not always that nice. There have been incidents where they have scammed or conned or tried to "swindle" some tourists. Their faces are under a costume so they can't be easily identified. It's been a problem for some time and there have been proposals for creating new regulations that will limit their presence or require them to have some sort of license. You will also see a lot of homeless and beggars as you would in many American cities these days.

You will also see many women wearing saris, burkas, hijabis, snoods, and all kinds of religious dress. They are New Yorkers too.
Good point. You will see every manner of dress on the planet in New York, so don't worry too much about standing out like a sore thumb. One time I was shopping at lunch time in the Concourse of the old WTC, and everyone started to look up as we all heard a rattling noise. It was a guy dressed in a costume made of beer and soda cans and carrying a unicycle. Everyone just watched him walk by, then went right back to what they were doing.

If you ever saw the Eddie Murphy movie, "Coming to America", about an African prince searching for a bride in NYC, there is a scene where he stands in a subway car and says, "Attention everyone!" People look up, and he says, "I renounce my throne! I am no longer the prince of Zamunda!" Everyone just goes back to reading their newspaper (now it would be phone). That's pretty realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty