Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

I read that Miss America will no longer be based on physical beauty and it is bad form to tell a woman at work that she is attractive. I suspect that in time most women will become Androgynous in the future. It will be sexist to expect women to dress and act like an old-fashioned woman.

YouTube and Hollywood are full of women with shaved heads and look more like men than girls. Career pressures make it advantageous to act like a man than a woman.

Is Androgynous the trend in the future for many women?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM

5,461 posts, read 4,081,096 times
Answer this, do you tell the men at work that you find them attractive? If not, please extend the same courtesy to the women, who are there to WORK. Not be eye candy.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:42 PM

1,347 posts, read 949,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused Dater View Post
It will be sexist to expect women to dress and act like an old-fashioned woman.
Will be? I'd like to think it already is. Whatever "old-fashioned woman" means.

Quote:
YouTube and Hollywood are full of women with shaved heads and look more like men than girls.
Really? Perfectly feminine hair and makeup seems to be ever more prevalent than ever in both those arenas from what I've observed. Compare young girls on TV between now and decades ago... now they all have perfect hair and makeup like grown women. And the plethora of makeup "how-to's" on YouTube...

Quote:
Career pressures make it advantageous to act like a man than a woman.
Not in my profession.

Quote:
I'm sure it will come and go as a fad at some point.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,458,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Answer this, do you tell the men at work that you find them attractive? If not, please extend the same courtesy to the women, who are there to WORK. Not be eye candy.
This. Seriously, it's not that hard. If you wouldn't say it or do it to a man, then you shouldn't do it or say it to a woman.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:15 PM

24,731 posts, read 11,066,957 times
Career pressure - production on any level from fast food to board room.
Miss America - never entered it, never watched it, could not care any less about it
Shaved heads - be my guest, I had very short cuts based on necessity and spend a lot of time and money on my mane
Old fashioned woman - I am not sure what you mean. Shape, dress, … changes from 20 to 80+

Old 06-12-2018, 01:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
I read that Miss America will no longer be based on physical beauty and it is bad form to tell a woman at work that she is attractive. I suspect that in time most women will become Androgynous in the future. It will be sexist to expect women to dress and act like an old-fashioned woman.

YouTube and Hollywood are full of women with shaved heads and look more like men than girls. Career pressures make it advantageous to act like a man than a woman.

What a bizarre leap in logic. What does Miss America have to do with androgynous styles?

When people are at work, they aren't there for you to talk about their looks. I know this is a crazy thought but women do not exist for male appreciation 24/7.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,329,017 times
Quote:

Mod cut.

Trends and change come and go for men as well as women, both in the real world, mass media and according to new social values...for all people.

There will be a positive benefit in making and incorporating these new values and generations to come will reap the benefits. Fortunately most women have "old fashioned values" so there isn't quite the need for them to "dress and act like old fashioned", women of a bygone era.

Mod cut., the world it is a changin'...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-12-2018 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Off-topic comments.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,867,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Will be? I'd like to think it already is. Whatever "old-fashioned woman" means.

Subservient to men.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:09 PM

44,388 posts, read 20,113,945 times
This thread has been closed for a few reasons. (1) The topic of the new Miss America rules is being discussed in another forum, and duplicate topics are not permitted. (2) The opening comment about women's careers is more apropos to the Work & Employment forum, though I am NOT suggesting a new thread be started there. (3) Making sweeping generalizations is never right nor a good thing. (4) Gender bashing is not tolerated here.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty