Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times

Advertisements

I say - we need MORE of them! Looking around at the "average" person, men & women alike, most of them are dressed sloppy; c'mon, take a little pride your appearance, it is a reflection of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 04:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I do think it's sad if she simply won't leave the house without spending an hour or more on her face/hair, even to get the mail. It means you think you're so ugly, and require other people's approval so much, that normal living is impossible without cosmetics.

I had a friend like this when I was very young, and it was so, so annoying waiting for her to get ready all the time.

Now if this full hair/makeup is how somebody chooses to present themselves at work, dates, parties, etc, I will just admire how nice they look and try not to think about how much time they spend on their appearance.

For me, there are so many things I'd rather do and think about than hair and makeup. I'm fortunate I look pretty good naturally.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Sounds good to me. While I don't aspire to "dressing to the nines" every day, I do put some effort into coordinating my outfit. And I love to see other people who do the same!

The level of effort is up to you! It doesn't have to be a giant undertaking.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Like the kind of women that wouldn't go out to get her mail without making sure she's all dressed up? Do you find it sad?

In my world:
I think it is a bit much. Make up is like part of a uniform. When you dress for the day its like part of the wardrobe. When I was working in the office, my daily uniform included make up and doing up hair. I have heard of employers insisting their female employees represent the company image by wearing makeup to work. It can also be a form of respect for co-workers to look presentable, makeup and coifed hair.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
No, some people really enjoy looking nice and it's a way to express themselves. They enjoy getting ready each day! To each their own.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Nope, I don't find it sad at all.

I, myself, like to pull it together when I go places. Now on some days, it may be just mascara, lipstick, and no styling of the hair, but I still feel better when I make a bit of an effort

Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
That they have a completely different set of priorities and outlook than I possess. It isn't sad. It's just a certain way of choosing to present one's self. Assuming it is a choice.

If it were not a preference, but a compulsion that was hindering them in life, I'd suspect that they were suffering from some type of obsessive-compulsive spectrum of disorder.

There is a difference between preferring to live up to one's own standards of what is optimally presentable at all times, and it being beyond a preference, and into the realm of a ritual that one feels compelled to serve.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Like the kind of women that wouldn't go out to get her mail without making sure she's all dressed up? Do you find it sad?
I think you have misjudged your audience.

You should know that people who inhabit the Fashion and Beauty forum likely are into...wait for it...FASHION & BEAUTY!

Secondly, if you wanted an answer to your first question, you should not have tried to put words in people's mouths by adding, "Do you find it sad?"

It seems to me that people are reacting primarily to your "sad" remark, to your steering them to respond in the way that you want.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
It doesn't take much longer to put on nice clothing than to put on more casual clothing, and most people who are in the habit of wearing a full face and doing their hair have the routine down to a pretty quick sequence.

I mean, it's not what I choose to spend too much of my time and money on, and depending on the scenario it might reveal some unnecessary vanity or insecurity, but sad is an odd word to use to describe it.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
I've always felt that if you feel comfortable and confident in yourself, you don't need to always wear every makeup product on your face every time you leave the house.

Skip all the makeup when you mow the lawn or work in your garden. If you are going to the office or out during the evening, wearing makeup is acceptable. No problem. Running errands on Saturday, I would just wear foundation if anything at all. Then do the full face for going out to dinner, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty