Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 11:00 PM

876 posts, read 813,950 times

Advertisements

As a male working in a casual environment, you'd think my budget would be minimal. The only stipulations at the office are no shorts or sandals.

I estimate my annual spending is 200-300. Is that a lot? I'm definitely not a fashion plate, I dress more like I'm going for a hike.

The reason it's that high is because of certain styles going out of fashion, now everything is fitted or you look a bit dated. It's going to be a few more slacks and shirts this year. I have all the winter coats I'll ever need though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 11:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
That’s not high at all. Considering jeans cost $50. A shirt is $30. Good shoes are at least $80 ....

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
As a male working in a casual environment, you'd think my budget would be minimal. The only stipulations at the office are no shorts or sandals.

I estimate my annual spending is 200-300. Is that a lot? I'm definitely not a fashion plate, I dress more like I'm going for a hike.

The reason it's that high is because of certain styles going out of fashion, now everything is fitted or you look a bit dated. It's going to be a few more slacks and shirts this year. I have all the winter coats I'll ever need though.
I mean, if you're asking me, that budget is very minimal for an annual spending amount. Note that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, if you're thinking you're spending a lot, I would say you're definitely below average.

I recognize that I'm above average. I budget $200/month for clothes (which includes work, casual, athletic, swim, etc.) but then I also set aside a separate amount for larger purchases - these purchases are not impulse buys but rather things that I have on a checklist of 'if i find this kind of item and i love it and it fits me really well, it can come out of this budget'. As such, some years this extra budget gets spent, other years not at all. This year I have averaged ~$150 per month plus an additional $1000 between a pair of leather boots and a leather jacket. Both of these were items I had been looking for for 2-3 years without finding items that I really wanted and I found both of them this year.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I probably spend about $750-$1000 a year. In the rare year when I have to buy a dress for a special occasion, or a new coat, it could be more.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Wow I would say some of you posters need to learn to shop at thrift stores . I bet you I did not spend a thousand dollars a year when I was working in an high end law office jeeze . I found decent suits and business clothes all the time at the thrift and paid maybe 3.00 a suit or 2.50 for a dress . Let me tell you some of the stuff I used to wear you would not have known it came from the thrift store . Yes it looked that good . My advice to you OP check out a thrift store once in a while .

Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow I would say some of you posters need to learn to shop at thrift stores . I bet you I did not spend a thousand dollars a year when I was working in an high end law office jeeze . I found decent suits and business clothes all the time at the thrift and paid maybe 3.00 a suit or 2.50 for a dress . Let me tell you some of the stuff I used to wear you would not have known it came from the thrift store . Yes it looked that good . My advice to you OP check out a thrift store once in a while .
I've looked at thrift stores plenty. I used to spend a LOT of time there when I was also running an interior design business on the side to my day job. Always found lots of good items for home decor and very, very rarely anything I was remotely interested in for clothes. Most clothes for guys are very outdated fashions, very poor cuts, and not in my size. The items that were decent were usually too worn to justify even at the reduced cost. Marginal better luck at consignment stores, but even then it wasn't worth the time. Once again, this after spending hours at thrifts stores every week scouring for furniture and design items for my clients (i would ultimately make sure to take time to look for clothes while I was there as well). The one item I will still find and buy at thrift stores: ties. Even if they're too wide for you, you can alter them fairly easily. So I just check for good patterns and that they are in good shape with no stains.

With the clothes I get: I love what I buy, tend to keep it around for a long time, and it fits me perfectly because I do repeat business with a few select brands/stores. But with a few exceptions, any item I've gotten from a thrift store usually I made some compromise on (fit mostly) and it ended up sitting in my closet. I am definitely aware that others (mostly women) have more luck at thrift stores, but I have not.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:18 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
In theory, it could work, if you are an easy size to fit. I, however, have settled on a few brands which I know fit me well, and the styles fit my lifestyle. Most of my clothing comes from JJill, and I tend to buy during sales. If I use my charge I get 5% off, so I do that. I spend about $50 a month there.

I detest browsing through a bunch of racks in hopes of finding something, so thrift stores are not my cup of tea.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In theory, it could work, if you are an easy size to fit. I, however, have settled on a few brands which I know fit me well, and the styles fit my lifestyle. Most of my clothing comes from JJill, and I tend to buy during sales. If I use my charge I get 5% off, so I do that. I spend about $50 a month there.

I detest browsing through a bunch of racks in hopes of finding something, so thrift stores are not my cup of tea.
Same. I enjoy shopping but not that kind of shopping when it comes to clothes. I'm more open to it for decor or design or art. The shops I buy from are ones whose quality and fit I am comfortable with and I know they regularly offer stuff in the styles I like. A few minutes browsing online or a brief trip in the store usually nets me what I'm looking for. And if it's one of their regular items I don't even need to try it on to know it fits me. Plus some of the places offer free alterations or 365 day returns.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-30-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 08:59 AM

876 posts, read 813,950 times
It's hard to nail down the number when it varies so much. Also I didn't include shoes, and I buy at least a couple pair per year. So, I'm going to revise my annual budget up to $500. That's probably a more realistic number.

Definitely not a thrift store kind of person, I used to be but apparently have lost patience for bargain hunting.

Last edited by A1eutian; 07-30-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Not for me. The selection in my size is very minimal. And usually ugly and way too old for me. It is a pointless exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty