Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:36 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times

Advertisements

Just curious how many others find kitten heels unstable.

Maybe it's just me. But I find them "wobbly." I feel like I don't have enough support under my heels.
You'd think because they're low they'd be comfortable and stable, but I feel like my foot needs more support....as if I might teeter off to one side.

Am I in the minority on this, or you have the same feeling and experience re kitten heels?

I wish I did like them -- actually I DO like the LOOK of them -- But maybe they're just not for me. Some of the shoes that have kitten heels are so cute. And they're low, and I don't wear any heel higher than about 2-1/2 inches, so if they were stable they'd be perfect for me.

Last edited by selhars; 07-27-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 12:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
It depends on the shoe. Not all shoes are well balanced. Just like with higher heels, the placement of the heel is really critical to stability. I feel like in recent years, construction and engineering of shoes has cheapened the process. Newer kitten heels I have are less stable than my older ones, in general.

I end up trying on a lot of pairs until stability is good.

But block heels seem to be universally pretty good - and would be a good alternative for you.

Something like this:
https://www.everlane.com/products/wo...heel-brightred

(And there are many styles from many brands)

Old 07-27-2018, 12:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
I find kitten heels are usually easier to walk in than high heels but I have shoes with both.

I agree if you want heels, block heels are usually the easiest.

If you just want some height, wedge heels are usually easy to walk in too.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:57 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
I used to be able to wear kitten heels with no problem at all. But then I injured my ankles a few too many times. Now I'm stuck in flats (or VERY chunky low heels)

Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Block heels are OK but not my favorite. I just don't like the chunkiness/clunkiness of the look of them.

Actually I find basic tapered heels -- like those on 2 -- to 2-1/2 -- to 3" pumps very stable.
MORE stable than a 1" kitten heel. Go figure.

So it's not the height that's the issue.

If I'm not in flats -- or some kind low clog/mule -- and I am 99.9999% of the time, then my go-to business work show is the classic 2-3" heel pump. (And that's only when job interviewing of for church every 20 years. For all intents and purposes I suppose I could say I don't wear heels.)

Now, why a 3" pump with a tapered heel would feel more steady than a 1" kitten heel, I can't figure.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:22 PM

82 posts, read 78,866 times
I find they are easier to walk in. I have always felt more comfortable in kitten heels and am so glad they are slowly making a comeback. I’m so sick of sky high heels.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
The name has changed a few times in the past 200 years since the 1820's when Can-Can girls wore them and they were called "Can-Can heels". And then in the Roaring 1920's they were called "flapper heels" because that's the style that flappers wore to dance halls, but the purpose and intent of the style has never changed. Back in the 1950's when Audry Hepburn the actress made them fashionable again, and then also Disney's 50's original animated movie about Cinderella and the sparkly glass shoes, made them very popular with little girls we used to call them "princess heels" or "trainer heels". They were the easiest of high heels for little girls to learn to walk in and were approved for young girls to wear in training for higher heels and stilettos. They could be obtained for little girls too but they were sold as girl's toys and were made out of some kind of hard, clear plastic embedded with glitter. They always were my favourite style of high heel, they still are, they are so easy and comfortable to walk or dance in.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-28-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
2-3 inch pump is my all time favorite and in some shoes I like the kitten heel . it just depends on the shoe.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
They always were my favourite style of high heel,
I thought kitten heels by definition were always low-to very low heels -- like an inch (maybe 1-1/2"). Like the style (very low heel pump) Michelle Obama wore so often.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:16 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious how many others find kitten heels unstable.

Maybe it's just me. But I find them "wobbly." I feel like I don't have enough support under my heels.
You'd think because they're low they'd be comfortable and stable, but I feel like my foot needs more support....as if I might teeter off to one side.

Am I in the minority on this, or you have the same feeling and experience re kitten heels?

I wish I did like them -- actually I DO like the LOOK of them -- But maybe they're just not for me. Some of the shoes that have kitten heels are so cute. And they're low, and I don't wear any heel higher than about 2-1/2 inches, so if they were stable they'd be perfect for me.
I am with you, in spirit.

I have a pair of kitten heel vintage shoes that are about 1.5 inches. They are for me, an expert "heel walker", more difficult than spike heels twice their height. They don't have backs - I bought them, very gently used, because I was in love with the bright, turquoise color.

They are super cute! They look good with so many summer outfits. I CAN walk in them. But I'd only wear them if walking or dancing were not part of my agenda.

I was blaming the backless-ness. Maybe it's the combination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty