Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 01:51 AM

388 posts, read 200,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
She's 5'9, 40D bra, wears a size 1X. She does not weigh anything close to 400lbs.
i think shes beautiful, and im more likely to pick up a lane bryant model than a victorias secret model (though i actually knew a plus-size model that worked with victorias secret) though some of the politics around larger models is appalling.

i find many of them very beautiful, but im not supporting the "health at every size" nonsense. the two are not entirely unrelated, as plus-size models can further their careers by becoming spokespeople for such things. im happy with my appearance too, and ive always been slightly over the ideal, but i think haes is deeply irresponsible and it shouldnt be supported. id like to separate the worst politics from all this, but for now they are not separate. this doesnt mean i blame every plus-size model for the irresponsible politics of others, its not like that at all. but the reality these days is that this is heavily politicised.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:16 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you personally think that the models available help you to choose clothes? That should be the point of models. The ones that I see, are of little help.
Yes, I do. Certainly more than size 8 models.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Do these ads make you want to shop at the store, or do they turn you away?
I'd suggest that when you see models that look more like yourself, you're a bit more likely to say "they have clothes for ME too" so you might shop there. How is that so hard to understand? Are they ONLY showing overweight models or models of all sizes? Are you saying that YOU, as a not-overweight person, will boycott stores carrying larger sizes even if you like their clothes in your size?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Of course people come in all sizes. I don't think that "Morbidly Obese" is a reasonable, normal size. If you are a 600lb person, buying more over sized clothes, is akin to investing in your own death.

That is the meaning of the word "Morbid" - related to, or pertaining to death. No one HAS to be MORBIDLY OBESE. Yes. People have different shapes and sizes and not everyone can be a 000 (yes, they have that) Not everyone wants to.

If your ARE 600 lbs. you should be shopping, but not for clothes. You should be shopping for a plan to save your life. Morbidly obese people are literally deathly ill.

There is a reality show about a very pretty, vivacious morbidly obese young woman. She has dark brown hair and comes from North Carolina. I saw it once, but I see the advertisement for the television show where she is "dancing like no one is watching" in a red and black dress without shoes.

I find it sad, really. If she were my daughter, I'd be worried about her health and her life. I am not saying that she needs to be a size 6 - however a size 16 would not make her model thin - but, it would reduce the likelihood of serious medical issues and a premature death.

ETA - I think the question about male models is a separate but interesting topic.
Are "these people" supposed to wear tents or stay at home naked because they are fat? Or should they also have clothing options for while they're trying to get healthy? Because if they aren't actively trying to get healthy they are really bad people, right? Keep them naked and isolated at home to punish them? If you disagree then why shouldn't they have options?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:47 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
I think many models are ridiculously thin, and that is unrealistic. However, I think many have gone to the other extreme. How about a little balance in fashion, and advertising?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Some men, including myself, prefers overweight models. They know what they have and show off those beautiful curves.

They're people too and it shows that overweight women can be very attractive in whatever they are wearing. They are proud of their figure and they show it off too. As long as they are staying classy, leave them be.

It's not just the skinny women that can show off their goods. Even though some have nothing to show off. Some of us men enjoy meat on the bones, ya know?!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
All I can say is, the plus sized models are just as airbrushed and prettied up as the thin ones. There is no reality with those pictures.

Fat people still need the same well fitting clothes that thin people do, so it makes sense to advertise them. There are more fat people than thin ones. It’s a wonder that thin models still get hired at all.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Are "these people" supposed to wear tents or stay at home naked because they are fat? Or should they also have clothing options for while they're trying to get healthy? Because if they aren't actively trying to get healthy they are really bad people, right? Keep them naked and isolated at home to punish them? If you disagree then why shouldn't they have options?
I agree with this. Folks are extremely judgemental about people struggling with obesity and angry that their health issues cost us money. It is true, it does cost the health system money and we pay it, but is allowing them no options going to fix this? What about the texters and drivers that harm others, alcoholics and crack addicts that destroy themselves and their families and friends and cost the prison/medical system our tax dollars. No one seems to care that they can freely and easily buy attractive clothes and cosmetics.

The obese person is painfully aware of their condition. I would wager that an attractive choice of fashionable clothes rather than dressing them in sacks and mu mus would give them a chance to see themselves as an attractive person, inspiring them to make the change to be even better rather than just leaving them with the option of being an outcast and keeping them down.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 AM

880 posts, read 531,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I unhappily saw this yesterday, when I was shopping for a skincare product.
https://www.target.com/b/auden/-/N-mg0o7?lnk=Auden

The woman in the middle. She's more than 200 pounds and possibly morbidly obese. It's glamorized, like life can be enjoyable that way. Not for long. It's not going to make someone want to gain weight, but messages like that make some people not bother to lose weight, even though for health alone they should. That's reckless to society. I'm going to minimize purchases from businesses that I think are bad for this world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
I wish they showed all of that.

Also, bigger-chested women who aren't plus size!
Im more annoyed about this than anything else. Before my reduction i used to be a 34G, no stores carried that size i was always forced to order from overseas. Even after my reduction i couldn't shop at places like vs or target because i was still a generous size. It appears that Target is starting to offer larger cups with smaller bands....but it still looks like i will have to use a sister size to shop there.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:28 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Some men, including myself, prefers overweight models. They know what they have and show off those beautiful curves.

They're people too and it shows that overweight women can be very attractive in whatever they are wearing. They are proud of their figure and they show it off too. As long as they are staying classy, leave them be.

It's not just the skinny women that can show off their goods. Even though some have nothing to show off. Some of us men enjoy meat on the bones, ya know?!
thanks for speaking for women & sharing with us your preferences...and now you're insulting thin women. Lol.

And "as long as they are staying classy" and "models".

There's a difference from "meat on the bones" than 500 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty