Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

Nothing, everything.

Kohls is just better at fooling the public with their constant "Sales".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 12:08 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I read somewhere that cheaper real estate is what makes Kohl's have more profitability than JCP.
Sounds about right. Kohls is a suburban experience. JCP actually has stores in the city.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 AM

42 posts, read 31,750 times
Default I think it's a regional thing

Interesting the varying experiences. It seems to vary by region. Kohls by me is an unpleasant experience. I used to shop there, maybe 15+ years ago. Any time I go there over the last many years it seems dark and messy. Too much merchandise blocking the light? Racks are so packed it's hard to see the items and stuff falls the floor. Cheap quality fabrics. I used to love their bedding, throw rugs and towels. Because I don't go often, I don't have a CC or coupons, so they are over priced. I do see that their parking lot is full on Wednesdays and during sales, so they draw plenty of customers. And I agree, the lines are long and can be slow.

I forget JCP exists, just as I never thought to go to Sears for decades before their decline. Or Montgomery Ward, does anybody remember them? Department stores targeting mid range customers have become irrelevant. I have become an online or Marshals, TJMax shopper.

Last edited by Nanseej; 04-27-2019 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseej View Post
Interesting the varying experiences. It seems to vary by region. Kohls by me is an unpleasant experience. I used to shop there, maybe 15+ years ago. Any time I go there over the last many years it seems dark and messy. Too much merchandise blocking the light? Racks are so packed it's hard to see the items and stuff falls the floor. Cheap quality fabrics. I used to love their bedding, throw rugs and towels. Because I don't go often, I don't have a CC or coupons, so they are over priced. I do see that their parking lot is full on Wednesdays and during sales, so they draw plenty of customers. And I agree, the lines are long and can be slow.

I forget JCP exists, just as I never thought to go to Sears for decades before their decline. Or Montgomery Ward, does anybody remember them? Department stores targeting mid range customers have become irrelevant. I have become an online or Marshals, TJMax shopper.
Montgomery Ward? I remember that from like preschool. The one I used to go to had an escalator it was fun to go down into the "basement". It's a movie theater there now.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
In my opinion, JCPenney is totally down hill since they went to cheap teenage clothes. Little of quality there for adults.

Kohls, in my area, is decent and has a much better selection of clothes I would wear. I can't imagine paying Nordstrom's ridiculous high prices.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
In my opinion, JCPenney is totally down hill since they went to cheap teenage clothes. Little of quality there for adults.

Kohls, in my area, is decent and has a much better selection of clothes I would wear. I can't imagine paying Nordstrom's ridiculous high prices.
A number of stores have done that. The Macy's in my area did that a few years ago. Suddenly, the career-wear departments, and somewhat upscale casual wear sections shrank or disappeared, and were replaced by umpteen racks of cheap-looking trendy cr@p. I notice, that the Macy's-s in the Bay Area haven't done that, or not to such a great extent. They still carry designer labels, as well as their own in-house better labels.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
We have a Kohl's store just a few miles from the house. We joke about their constant "sales" and the ubiquitous mailers that we get seemingly every week, but it keeps their brand publicized. Then there is "Kohl's Cash", essentially money that you get for spending money (normally $5 for every $25 spent, but only at certain times), that has to be spent within a specified time frame or it expires (usually about 10-14 days). That gets people back into the store. I don't buy many things there at regular price, but some of their sales are excellent (the one that I hit last weekend, I bought three pairs of athletic shoes for 50-60 percent off, and two polo shirts for half off).

Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
The JCPenney by me is quite nice, and if you are objective they have clothes like women's dresses that are great quality at exceptional prices. At Christmas I went to higher-end stores to buy a holiday party dress but JCPenney had the best selection. Another woman was shopping at the same time and she said the same thing.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While Kohl's and JCPenney compete in the same market segment, Kohl's is thriving while JCPenney is struggling. Both carry comparable brands from the lower end to the upper mid range.

Is it Kohl's more modern stores? Is it because most Kohl's stores are located outside of malls? Is it because Kohl's has more agreements with major celebrities?
In my area the Kohl's store is closing and the JC Penney store is staying open. So it seems that JC Penney is doing okay rather than Kohl's.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
What Kohls is currently doing right is partnering with Amazon to build/staff Amazon return counters right inside the Kohls stores. Smart move Kohls... Draws additional buyers into your store when they make Amazon returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty