Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:55 PM

296 posts, read 265,694 times

Advertisements

I don’t have gray hair but I’ve done fashion colors including mermaid, oil slick and another. It’s time consuming just the first sitting, usually requires two sessions, and the upkeep is close to impossible. It’s fun for an event or for a few weeks until it fades but that’s about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 12:23 AM

57 posts, read 76,300 times
Oh no.
Rainbow and unicorn hair is trashy looking.
Just have grey hair. It's classier.
Or dye it a normal color.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:33 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
I've seen an increasing number of older women with white hair adding streaks of pastel colors to their hair. I like it.
I'm not sure I like it, but I admire the nerve.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Don't forget to toss in the accessories!!!!

"Yes, this is statement hair, but you can still add accessories. We layered on multiples of our favorites. At the base of the low, sleek ponytail are two Lelet NY Exes Glossy barrettes ($158 each); three Epona Valley Le Femme Hang Chain bobbies ($119 each) pin back one side of Ms. Johnson’s hair."

2- $158 barrettes

3- $119 bobby pins
----------------------
$673 = insanity.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:12 AM

57 posts, read 76,300 times
I am terribly sorry. I take back what I said earlier. I forgot myself for a moment.
If you are cyndi lauper or if you lived in London during the 80s dye your hair whatever color you like.
And if you aren't in either of those situations do what makes you happy I guess.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I have very thick healthy naturally gray - aka silver - hair that's a natural sort of ombre, dark around the edges but very light on top. I actually love it and took the time and energy (and hardship LOL) to ditch the dye about five years ago. Up till then I'd been dying my hair for so long I honestly didn't know what the natural color was anymore!

Anyway, when I want a change, I use temporary spray on color in my hair. Generally it's pink. I just do an accent, not a head full of pink hair. And actually my husband doesn't even like it so I only do it if he's out of town - LOL.

Generally speaking, I stick with natural, which is one reason my hair is so healthy.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

She looks beautiful but I think most people either don't have the skin tone, face or hair for it.
This ^^ is what I don't think a lot of women consider: whether the color they choose actually looks good with their skin tone and overall look.

I think the look in the OP is ... interesting. The problem I see around here is older women who want to express something fun about themselves but end up choosing a garish green or blue that just makes them look like they had a regretful night with their teenage granddaughters after a trip to Sally Beauty Supply.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That seems super fun. I am just starting to get tinsel white strands up around my part at 42, but I could definitely see doing this when the white gets more pervasive, just for fun.

My husband's aunt, who is in her 70s and has a white pageboy, put in a lavender streak, and it looks great.
That’s my plan too. My hair is black black so dying would be damaging! And

Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
My hair is dark brown with some grey/white areas around my temple on one side. When those started to show up I changed my part I don't think I could pull off pastels. They don't look good on me in general so I suspect they wouldn't look good on my hair.

I did think about coloring a streak or two around my temples a dark purple. I just don't want to deal with bleaches for the small amount of color I would do.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Don't forget to toss in the accessories!!!!

"Yes, this is statement hair, but you can still add accessories. We layered on multiples of our favorites. At the base of the low, sleek ponytail are two Lelet NY Exes Glossy barrettes ($158 each); three Epona Valley Le Femme Hang Chain bobbies ($119 each) pin back one side of Ms. Johnson’s hair."

2- $158 barrettes

3- $119 bobby pins
----------------------
$673 = insanity.
Well, right, but it's in a fashion spread in the NY Times. The assumption is that they picture high end looks, and everyday people who find them appealing replicate them or something with a similar aesthetic at their own price point. Each of those barrettes pictured could be made for a few dollars' worth of supplies at a craft store or flea market. Several of them are literally rhinestone charms strung onto plain bobby pins. Eight bucks at Michael's, and you're good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty