Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:28 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
To me, the greater trick is getting larger women to wear clothes that actually fit them...not sized for someone a couple of sizes smaller. A plus-sized woman looks SO MUCH BETTER in an outfit that is sized correctly. I've never understood why some wear clothes that are clearly way too small. The gal in that turquoise dress looks fabulous.
Same reason the non obese ones do. I'll admit, I'm not into the BBW look and the weight appropriate ones look better in tight clothing. The concept that there's some uniform "fit" is ridiculous. Even in men's fashion which isn't nearly as interest in form fitting, revealing outfits and tends to be similar there's a lot of difference in fit. I go with a more traditional fit. I'm never going to wear some nutcuppers that barely reach the top of my ankles. That doesn't mean someone who is has clothes that don't fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 08:59 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Same reason the non obese ones do. I'll admit, I'm not into the BBW look and the weight appropriate ones look better in tight clothing. The concept that there's some uniform "fit" is ridiculous. Even in men's fashion which isn't nearly as interest in form fitting, revealing outfits and tends to be similar there's a lot of difference in fit. I go with a more traditional fit. I'm never going to wear some nutcuppers that barely reach the top of my ankles. That doesn't mean someone who is has clothes that don't fit.
I disagree - I don't think tighter clothing looks best on anyone - and LEAST of all on overweight folks.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
As a young, and very thin, working woman, I always thought it was odd that clothing choices stopped at a certain size. Designer dresses, for example, were often displayed in one area, with nothing beyond a size 10. It seemed that designers just wanted their clothing to "hang"--on women like me.

I dress more casually now, and I do notice larger sizes, but I also notice "Plus Size" departments. I think it would be helpful if designers simply designed clothing which would flatter all sizes, and that items would be displayed from size 0 to 3x (or whatever). Now that would be a talent.

As with "plus size models," highlighting plus size clothing perpetuates the perception that they're different in a pejorative way, when in reality, they--both the models and clothing--are simply another size.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I looked at Universal Standard a couple of weeks ago, with high hopes. But my idea of looking good doesn't encompass overalls, skinny jeans, leggings or jumpsuits.

Good thing there are other places to buy clothes.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
A plus-sized woman looks SO MUCH BETTER in an outfit that is sized correctly. I've never understood why some wear clothes that are clearly way too small. The gal in that turquoise dress looks fabulous.
Everyone looks better in properly-sized clothing. My rule is, "if it isn't perfect, cover it and drape it gracefully". I apply that rule to myself as well- and I hate the feel of tight clothing, anyway. It always surprises me to see women who look 20-30 lbs. heavier searching the same clothing size racks I am.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:19 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Everyone looks better in properly-sized clothing. My rule is, "if it isn't perfect, cover it and drape it gracefully". I apply that rule to myself as well- and I hate the feel of tight clothing, anyway. It always surprises me to see women who look 20-30 lbs. heavier searching the same clothing size racks I am.
Me too!! I'm not overweight - but I have never liked the feeling of tightness in clothes. Some of the jeans I see on people - they fit like pantyhose! UGH. No thanks.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
To me, the greater trick is getting larger women to wear clothes that actually fit them...not sized for someone a couple of sizes smaller. A plus-sized woman looks SO MUCH BETTER in an outfit that is sized correctly. I've never understood why some wear clothes that are clearly way too small. The gal in that turquoise dress looks fabulous.
Probably because larger sizes are hard to find and they wear what the stores have. Same reason very small or short people wear stuff that looks too big/long, or very tall people wear things that look too short.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
After a certain size, it gets much more difficult to find clothes. You might pay $15 for pair of 4x shorts at Walmart, but if you need a 5x instead, you're going to have to go to Catherine's and pay $50. So if you're on a budget and you can sit in the 4x without the center seam giving out, guess which pair you're going to buy, even if it's not the most flattering fit?

Or maybe you've had to order online from one of the plus size shops with a horrible return policy (Woman Within and all their other websites) and the fit isn't perfect, but everything is at least covered and you know if you send it back you'll wait six weeks for a refund, minus a restocking fee that's probably half the cost of the garment. So you wear it and figure it will stretch out.

Some plus size women do wear clothes that are too tight because that's what they like. My sister is like that. She thinks it's sexy to have her chest overflowing whatever she wears.

Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I loved the show What Not To Wear, because they preached what you’re saying. But, you what they didn’t do? Although they occasionally mentioned it, they never ever showed the women having their clothes tailored, which they did probably in every show.

Think about it — every body is different, even in size. I wear a size 8 and you wear a size 8, but not all size 8’s work because of vanity sizing for one, and also because of bodies being different. I may have a tummy and a flat butt, and you may have a high waist and short legs.

We buy the same pair of pants, and each pair needs to be tailored to us... and women in general don’t do that. And really, would you do that with a $15 pair of pants bought on sale at Kohl’s? It’s not cheap.

And no one really knows how to tailor things themselves, or wants to try. In some cases, you literally have to deconstruct a garment to do it right...

Old 05-25-2019, 01:27 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Think about it — every body is different, even in size. I wear a size 8 and you wear a size 8, but not all size 8’s work because of vanity sizing for one, and also because of bodies being different. I may have a tummy and a flat butt, and you may have a high waist and short legs.

We buy the same pair of pants, and each pair needs to be tailored to us... and women in general don’t do that. And really, would you do that with a $15 pair of pants bought on sale at Kohl’s? It’s not cheap.
Some of my work wardrobe IS tailor-made- ordered through a local guy and made in Chicago. Wow. He measured the angle of each shoulder. I'm retired now and joke that I can't gain weight because I still want to be able to wear those pieces when I get dressed up. They are SO comfortable.

I bought DS a suit at an off-price place, to wear to my wedding when I remarried in 2003. Getting it tailored to fit him cost almost as much as the suit but he wore it when HE got married 10 years later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty