Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,318 times

Advertisements

My hair is cut in a spiky pixie so a monthly salon visit is a necessity. On the plus side, a little
texturizing spray, run my fingers through it and I'm good to go. I do color it myself in a light ash or champagne blonde. It's naturally silver now so blonde is a single process.

Eye makeup and lip color are a must, but no foundation, concealer or blush. Just a little translucent
powder to take away shine. Nail color on the toes only, usually red or a deep berry shade. Don't have the patience for a salon pedicure and can't justify the expense.

I'm a skin care junkie and have a ton of serums and creams that I use religiously.

Shopping online is preferable, but some things (like jeans) need to be tried on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Aside from bathing and giving myself the occasional facial, there is literally nothing fun or interesting about any of the other maintenance.

Shaving, depilatory, nail trimming, haircuts, etc.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:50 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Aside from bathing and giving myself the occasional facial, there is literally nothing fun or interesting about any of the other maintenance.

Shaving, depilatory, nail trimming, haircuts, etc.
I agree with this!

I think women who “keep themselves up” probably have a stronger aesthetic sense about themselves. And, this sense probably exists in various people on a spectrum. And, I think expectations and upbringing also affect how much importance we place on our appearance.

Some beauty maintenance chores, such as shopping and manicures/pedicures, can be shared with friends, which probably makes them more enjoyable.

But basically, I think this stuff is a drag.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I'm curious if there is anyone else who is completely put off by the odor of nail salons. It bothers me to the point that I can't imagine even going inside of one. Just walking past in the mall makes me feel bad. Is this just me having a ridiculously sensitive nose?

Old 07-23-2019, 10:20 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I've always been curious about this and I know it depends on the woman, but...

I know women go to the salon, and the mani/pedi, and do shopping. Various women do these things to varying degrees (I know my sister does not do these things, though she used to shop).

My question is to what degree do women enjoy doing these things? Just for my perspective.
I enjoy visiting the nail salon and getting massages, but I don’t really sit around talking about beauty maintenance. And I do over 95% of my shopping online and it’s not something I turn into conversations. Like, what is that supposed to look like? Talking about the air fryer and garlic press I recently purchased? My husband and I may discuss plans for purchases and their general use (air fryer bacon and cooking various things), and this is definitely true for things we both enjoy, but “shopping” isn’t the main focus of any conversation.

Quote:
So, for women, not necessarily you, but your friends, is that a passion for you? Is going through shopping catalogs online the same as guys going through guitar catalogs or catalogs of guns? Or talking about guitars or hunting. Can you spend hours talking about shopping?
My husband doesn’t use catalogs, nor does he care about guns and hunting. He’s a guitarist, but doesn’t spend much time talking about shopping for guitars. He may talk about guitars or guitar playing, not shopping for one. I cannot imagine talking about shopping for any real length of time. I am passionate about a lot of things. “Shopping” isn’t one of them. It’s just something that is done.

Quote:
Do you get excited going to the salon or to get a mani/pedi on a Saturday if you're just going alone? Is it the same excitement when guys are anticipating watching a big game on TV coming up a Saturday?
I can enjoy the experience in the same way I enjoy going to the movies, concerts, going to conventions, visiting a ren faire, doing other activities, going out to a nice eatery, sight-seeing, etc. Also, my husband isn’t a sports guy. He’s more likely to spend time drawing, writing, reading, going to the movies, music, listening to fantasy and sci-fi audiobooks, training BJJ than any of the mentioned activities. These are activities we’re both passionate about.

Quote:
So, I'm aware that women are different and some women get excited about sports too.
Neither of us gets excited about sports. We can spend a considerable amount of time talking about our other interests and passions, however.

Quote:
But I'm just curious about how women view beauty maintenance in general. Is it something you have to do and is a pain the @ss, something that's so-so, or something you get really excited about?
They’re rituals like a lot of things. I enjoy the experience, which can be said about a lot of things. I like acupuncture sessions as well. I enjoy massages. They are not “passions” or hobbies anymore than visiting the barber. Heck, my husband enjoys getting pedicures. It’s some we occasionally do together. But it’s like a lot of things we do, but don’t make a hobby out of.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
When I was younger and not very well off financially, getting my hair cut about once or twice a year was a treat, and when I was a teen and young woman, I enjoyed putting on make-up, curling my hair, etc.

Now that I am older, and I feel that I must go more often, it is a chore. Plus all that work and money spent, and I feel that it is almost entirely wasted effort now. (I'm a senior.)

Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm curious if there is anyone else who is completely put off by the odor of nail salons. It bothers me to the point that I can't imagine even going inside of one. Just walking past in the mall makes me feel bad. Is this just me having a ridiculously sensitive nose?
Now that most salons have gotten away from acrylics, I haven't noticed an odor anymore.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:55 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Speaking of catalogs...Lord, I used to LOVE going through the Sears catalog back in the day, as a child. I had my favorite things to look at. First was toys, and then I always liked to look at the fur coats and stoles, and then women's dresses.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Speaking of catalogs...Lord, I used to LOVE going through the Sears catalog back in the day, as a child. I had my favorite things to look at. First was toys, and then I always liked to look at the fur coats and stoles, and then women's dresses.
Me too. We got both the Sears and JC Penney catalogs, I spent hours perusing those.

Re: the "beauty is beneath you" comments... I do want to clarify, since I expressed my dissatisfaction about the clothes shopping process, that I actually wish it was more fun (i.e. could easily find flattering stylish items that I like and I easily choose the right size which is always available). Of course, that would be detrimental to my wallet, but I take no pleasure in disliking clothes shopping.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I think mani/pedis are a cliche. I've never known any women who used that service. The salon trip for many women isn't any different than a guy going to the barbershop. Getting your hair cut is a basic maintenance activity. Not sure where the "fun" enters in. For some women, it's unpleasant, because of the chemical odors of the coloring and styling agents that are prevalent in the salon.

I browse the clothing catalogs that come in the mail, as a free version of a fashion magazine, to see what the current styles are, and to kind of enjoy it as an art form. There aren't any good department stores where I live, so I don't go out to shop or browse, but I used to enjoy that, when I lived near some good stores.
I've actually gotten a pedi before with a GF.

It's OK I guess, but it was stressful because you feel like they are going to cut into your flesh with the clippers. The skin scraping is a little rough, but the soak is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty