Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

Went to target to look for some summer clothing and recently it shrunk in half. They're putting out fall and school clothing right now. Same thing for winter time, I go look for gloves and scarfs and they could only be found in the clearance section in January. They already started putting out Spring clothing in the middle of WINTER!

I just came back from Uniqlo and they did the same thing, front and center all fall stuff and summer stuff is all in the back and hard to find as most current stock haven't restock.

This is why retail fails and I have to shop online to buy what I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
That's funny you say that, because yesterday I was in Target looking for a bathing suit, kind of a "hail mary", thinking maybe maybe maybe they might have something I like still this late in the summer. Usually stores are completely out of bathing suits by the time you want to buy a last minute one for a beach trip.

I was shocked. While Academy was virtually out (as expected) there were more bathing suits in Target than i've ever seen in one place at a time.

My prediction is, Target is fighting hard to maintain a brick and mortar presence.

Maybe it varies by store.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
If you time it right, the clothes you're looking for will be discounted. I just bought a bunch of shorts and tank tops for less than half of what they wanted two months ago. It's hot enough here that I'll be able to wear them at least until November, maybe all year.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I've run up against problems like this multiple times.

1. It's hot, so I'm just not thinking about winter clothes. Or it's cold, so I'm not thinking about summer clothes. I suppose buying a season or two ahead works for people who are really into clothes and shopping and planning, but that is not me at all. I tend not to even go to stores that sell clothes until I have an immediate need, in which case...

2. All of a sudden, I desperately need something for the current season. My child lost the top of her bathing suit or suddenly outgrew her shorts; my son's flip-flops fell apart. I go looking for replacements, and all the summer clothing is GONE, at least in their sizes. All I can find are sweaters and long pants and boots...

3. So I decide to stock up on winter clothes right now, and stash them away until colder weather comes. All of a sudden, my child goes through a growth spurt, or I forget all about the new clothes and never bring them out, or we have a warm dry winter and just don't ever need them. It turns out to be a huge waste of money.

Online shopping has saved me several times, but they also clear out their seasonal stock and bring in the next season months ahead of time, just as brick-and-mortar stores do.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I find it particularly frustrating with children's clothes. With toddlers, their growth can be fast...so you can outgrow a swimsuit, say, by the time summer is out, and if you didn't gamble and also purchase the next size up, knowing that if it's not needed, next summer it will be outgrown, you can be out of luck. And, sometimes not. My son stayed small for a while and could wear the same stuff two summers running, and if I'd bought the next size up, in anticipation of outgrowing, I'd just have one more thing to store.

Same thing with winter coats. Better know what you might need in August, and be able to predict growth, so that you're not squeezing a kid into a too-small winter coat in February, when the stores only have shorts and tank tops.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:59 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I think the historical reason is that fashion companies have catered to the wealthy that look for the latest trends ahead of time, and are willing to pay more before the actual season starts. With online shopping, this model has become somewhat outdated since consumers can buy clothes for the weather instead of the latest trends.

Also, regional climate may also play a factor in the availability of inventory as well. In warmer climates they might get a larger stock of spring/summer clothes ahead of time before the season ends to last longer through the end of the season.

One store type I noticed here in Arizona where they don't follow the fashion calendar are off-price stores like Ross and T.J. Maxx. They keep a year-round supply of warm weather clothes.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 07-23-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 02:05 PM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
Stores have been doing this forever. I remember in my younger days trying to find a sun dress in July when it was hot. Too late, they already had coats and sweaters out. Good luck finding a pair of snow boots in December, or sandals in August.

Luckily, we were still able to buy some table fans at the beginning of July, otherwise we would have never made it through this latest heat wave!

Old 07-23-2019, 02:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I totally get this!

But it cuts both ways. Sometimes at the tail end of an unusually mild winter, I’ve found heavily discounted winter wear—more than you would expect.

And at midsummer, you will find fewer, but discounted things for warm weather.

It pays to be an opportunistic shopper.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Last summer we tried to buy swimming suits for the kids during late July and most were left overs at Target and Kohls. Then going to malls you'll find them but they are selling for full price. Then at shoe stores we went to look for Sandals and again most popular sizes were gone and no stock everywhere except for big brands at the malls. If you go to Target now, it is school stuff and clothing already. The summer sections are getting skimpier except for women's bathing suit section and my wife complains it's mostly plus sizes left.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I hate that too. You see spring/summer clothes in the winter and fall/winter clothes in the summer.
It's only July and already the summer stuff is piled in one aisle so they can put out the fall clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty